Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Apparently it was only a single realm on US though?
    Kind of a dumb thing to do. I was looking forward to it but I'm on the EU servers.
    The Running of the Gnomes has always been on one single realm Scarlet Crusade.....this year though Blizzard also made it a Micro Event to push for attention too the run that has been going on for 8 yrs now. You could of attended all you had to do is make a US stater account and could of ran with us on SC realm. There is talk of bring it too EU realms but that would me the Leader of Group would have to get and maintain a EU account on top of a US account too. I am sorry you find what we did last night so dumb but I don't I think its great to see the gaming community step up too the plate and do some good outside of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    No, but encouraging more diverse groups of people to pursue jobs in the games industry means you're activating a bunch of untapped potential and bringing in new ideas and perspectives to create new things
    So, if Blizz hire more black people, what "new ideas and perspectives" is it that you think they will they be bringing to the team, based purely on their skin colour? Where the best chicken shops are?

Diversity of skin colour doesn't equate to diversity of thought and opinions. Skin colour is just that. While there are certainly huge differences in life experiences of every individual, this whole idea that hiring people who are physically more diverse will automatically bring a wider range of different ideas and views is laughable.... and pretty racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    The recruitement bias is obvious even when not explicit. Doing something about it is a good things. At least better than burying their heads in the ground and keep telling themselves "herp derp we only hire the best one nothing to improve here".
    They recruit out of the pools of people available for the jobs. This whole lack of women in computer engineering isn't some big misogynist issue that needs fixing. Modern feminism has such a strong connection with femmephobia now that ANY traditional male roles or occupations with higher proportions of men are seen as aspirational, and any differences between them are put down to oppression of women. Not... you know... the idea that women can actually have their own opinions and make their own choices about these things

The reality is that for DECADES our society has shown programmers and "gamers" as no-life bearded losers who live in their mums basements. That fat warcraft guy from Southpark? That's basically how people see computer engineers. It's never been portrayed as aspirational, so why would people want to do it? This stigma of computer nerds is mostly in the USA and the West, which is why the proportions of female engineers is very different in other countries.
    Technology in general didn't really become "cool" until Smartphones started becoming huge. A lot of the old views on technology have been changing over the past decades, you just need to wait for this to start filtering through colleges and workpaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    YOu ever heard of Marvel comics? They seem to be on that level.
    One of the big issues is that companies are using "Diversity" as a publicity trick. Either to get positive publicity, or to avoid bad publicity from riled up people that have made it their agenda.
    Marvel tried to make "diversity" into a Event, to get publicity and to drive sales. Like with all of their events, there was never any real priority in telling great stories and, imo, the fact some of these series are actually pretty great is more a happy fluke. Some of them are just TERRIBLE. Marvel then saying their fans were turned away because of "diversity" was the final straw for a lot of fans.
    "Diversity" clearly wasn't an issue for fans back when the X-Men were by far Marvels biggest selling title for decades - a very diverse group, dominated by strong, smart and powerful women, led (for a while) by an African Woman,
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2017-10-15 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    So, if Blizz hire more black people, what "new ideas and perspectives" is it that you think they will they be bringing to the team, based purely on their skin colour? Where the best chicken shops are?

Diversity of skin colour doesn't equate to diversity of thought and opinions. Skin colour is just that. While there are certainly huge differences in life experiences of every individual, this whole idea that hiring people who are physically more diverse will automatically bring a wider range of different ideas and views is laughable.... and pretty racist.
    So according to this line of thinking, black and white people in this country live roughly the same lives? They don't, and we both know that. Weather its racism, or cultural things, an average black life and an average white life in this country are different, mostly in that black people on average will live worse lives than whites b/c of vast income differences, and racism. It should not be that way, but it is how it is.

That is, by definition, going to bring a new perspective, b/c they live different lives.

Care to contest anything I said?

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Care to contest anything I said?
    Yes, because you're being pretty racist and don't even realise it.

So according to this line of thinking, black and white people in this country live roughly the same lives? They don't, and we both know that
    Pretty sure there are quite a few that do.

Weather its racism, or cultural things, an average black life and an average white life in this country are different
    WTF is the the "average" black person or the "average" white person?

Since when was it fine making policies about "the average" person of a particular race or nationality?

By making policies about an "average" person of a race, we're making MASSIVE assumptions about that person, their life and their past, based purely on their skin colour. Is this not what we're trying to avoid in our society? .

EVERYONE lives different lives. People have different lives and different perspectives. I just don't concur with the idea that JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR SKIN COLOUR, their differences in thoughts and perspectives will be greater and more valuable to a company than, as an example, two people of the same race who have grown up in different continents with different cultures and in different economic positions than each other.

black people on average will live worse lives than whites b/c of vast income differences, and racism
    And you really think it's these worse off people that are going to be benefiting the most from these "diversity" quotas and not people from middle-class families with enough money to have put their kids through college for the engineering degrees?
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2017-10-15 at 11:13 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Study after study has shown that black people, as a whole, make less than other races. We could argue all day about why that is, but not really what we're discussing atm. I consider myself left leaning, and if its racist? to point out the aggregate results of studies, i'll gladly accept the title.

Not sure if you were aware, from a earlier post about this from bliz, they are encouraging and seeking out more women and people of color to APPLY, they flat out stated they do not have quotas. Believe that or not, is up to you.

If I did not make it clear that we're discussing this on a macro level, I apologize. Of course some black people live basically identical lives to white people. However, many do not, chiefly b/c of the large disparity in income.

Also, while some studies have shown diversity helps Bliz's stated goal (bringing in different viewpoints), other studies show it does not make much of an effect.

I'll close with: So, we should not make laws based on avarages? If it is clearly shown that black people, on average, make far less than whites, and it is shown that it is largely due to racism ( A big and hard to answer question, yes. This is a hypothetical) we should not make laws to address it? Why? Cause the top 10% of black people doing as well as the average white person? I'm having trouble understanding your apparent hate for averages.

Theres alot more to say, if you want to continue discussing, i'm assuming you're not a troll, so far.

edit: to be clear on something, I don't support quotas either, I think they are a well intentioned, but incorrect approach.
    Last edited by Hinastorm; 2017-10-15 at 11:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I'm simply amused that many people on the side you apparently consider yourself on are displaying the same behavior they are mocking the other side with.
    Didn't I just explain how it's not the same thing. It's typical for people like you to ignore what others say if you don't agree with them.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized something. Blizzard talks about diversity and claim to embrace it yet this event was only on US. They screw EU players like always. Of course the profits go to breast cancer research. That's sexist. How about breast and prostate cancer research? That's equality.

So there are six dogs on the dev team.
    I wonder if they have a 'Take your human to work' day?

Diveristy? LOL?

1) Checks post about "diversity" being at Blizzcon
    2) Roll Eyes and wish there was a way to unload my ticket off on someone else
    3) Scrolls up to see that in the picture showing the entire WoW staff that there is not a single black person to be found
    4) Log onto ebay and attempt to pawn Blizzard account

I HAVE A DREAM

that my four children will one day live in a nation

where they will not be judged by the color of their skin

but by the content of their character.

Quote Originally Posted by iQ Superi0r View Post
    Nobody was ever called a nazi because they are white.
    The obsession some people have with being called a nazi is very weird.
    Just for having short haircuts right?

Notice how all the women are in the front so it looks like there are more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Trying to brag about diversity to the melting pot of the world? Is that a joke?

Also, it goes both ways. Currently playing in EU servers and saying I'm American makes things go sour real soon very often, but that's always been true. One of the first friends I made online when I came to this country over a decade ago was a Brit so I got used to playing in both regions and it's always been the same. Americans are more open and loud about conflict, while you people bring the animosity bundled up with passive aggressiveness to a whole new level of uncomfortable. Just culture shock.
    (Sorry to be late to the party, didn't really read my notifications.)

It is interesting that your first thought was that I was bragging. I wasn't btw, and it wasn't the point.

And I never met with your experience regarding my region, but other Americans had my experience - seeing the responses. But your sourness is an example, that you thought the worst about me/my comment, speaks loudly. And you talk about animosity. Well, anyway, best wishes.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfcap View Post
    And I never met with your experience regarding my region, but other Americans had my experience - seeing the responses. But your sourness is an example, that you thought the worst about me/my comment, speaks loudly. And you talk about animosity. Well, anyway, best wishes.
    Sorry, that won't work. I specifically mentioned it is mostly culture shock not something particularly heinous about either behavior. Americans tend to be loud and violent, you guys tend to mask it with passive aggressiveness and cynicism. I mean just read your reply, I think it speaks loudly. But anecdotes are anecdotes anyway.

Cheers.