Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Ah yes, quality in the name of diversity. Keep that shit in Canada.
    You object to quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You object to quality?
    I object to dismissing a better candidate in the name of diversity.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about but if we look at recent events, it's white males like Brevik, Quebec Shooter, Sandy hook shooter, Las Vegas, Charleston etc etc who are doing the shooting..

So please, don't dream up fantasy scenarios.
    You might want to look beyond CNN for your murder stats.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You really think skin color is irrelevant? lol.

- - - Updated - - -
    Is irelevant as a main contributor to racism. Racists doesn't hate black people because of their skin color, but because of their traits. Skin color is an identificator not a source of racism.

Actually it's racism not to do anything. If only one type of people are allowed to hold these research chairs then that is discrimination.
    correlation and causation. Just because a majority of chairs happen to be white doesn't necessarily mean their ethnicity was the REASON they attained those posts. On the other hand, diversity based hiring is more likely to result in ethnic minorities attaining those same posts at least partly due to the color of their skin.

And let's be perfectly clear. Under the system of diversity hiring, ethnic minorities interviewed for these jobs are likely to come from the same socioeconomic strata occupied by the white people they would replace. All you're doing is replacing a well-to-do white dude with a well-to-do white dude wearing a mask. Let's say an entire department is made up of ethnic minority faculty. They're likely to still think much like their white counterparts (i.e. upper middle/upper class).
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2017-10-15 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I object to dismissing a better candidate in the name of diversity.
    Rest assured, these positions are not filled on the basis of quality of candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I had no idea Canada was such a racist place..
    Not sure how making society more just and equal is racism. Do elaborate.

Goodbye merit. Keep that shit in Canada please and away from the states.

Not sure how making society more just and equal is racism. Do elaborate.
    Still waiting on that poll, or are you ready to admit you're a liar, and just make shit up on a consistent basis.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    C'mon now, don't be disingenuous, you and everyone else knows what Tennissace really is.
    Are you implying he's a troll? Because I really don't think he is. I think his beliefs are so out there compared to what most people find normal that you want to think he's a troll. It's Poe's Law. You have lost the ability to distinguish satire from reality.

No, they're not. That's not how affirmative action policies work. They typically only come into play when you have two candidates who are extremely close to being equally qualified to the point that it comes down to a coin toss. Then, instead of tossing a coin, they choose the minority.

The other thing it does is actually encourage them to expand their search to find more qualified minorities so they don't have to worry about choosing lesser qualified ones.
    Yes, denying people a chance at a job based on the color of their skin. That's no way that isn't the right way to go.

I honestly hope you can see what's wrong with that policy.

And here I thought having a specified percentage of positions that have to go to X or Y minority group, as well as some more for women is not how diversity programs ever go.

It's obviously diversity in regards to ethnicity. Everyone knows that. So again, it's correct terminology it's just implied that it's about race.
    Are women and disabled races now?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Look at it this way.... if you include Able-bodied white males in the diversity targets then 49% of chairs are reserved for them.
    Well, they're not included. And since the actual targets for all the other groups are just bare minimums, those can go over the targets, shrinking that remaining 49% that's unspecified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

There are well over 150 ethnicities in the world, unless they all get equal representation then the world is truly fucked! In fact until they can get equal representation from those ethnicities, gender groups, and all the other sub groups those jobs must remain empty! DIVERSITY OR NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    I think they decide that with a coin flip every week or so.
    Why not hunger games (like, with literal hunger). Those who starve to death are post-mortem declared to be visible minorities, while those who survive are declared white because they obviously survived thanks to white privilege.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Stop using words you don't understand.
    You want poor Tennis to be rendered mute? That's rather ableist of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post

Well, they're not included. And since the actual targets for all the other groups are just bare minimums, those can go over the targets, shrinking that remaining 49% that's unspecified.
    Well, as stated in the article...they aren't even meeting those bare minimums. So, as it stands....more than 50% of these chairs are being given to white males. Since the population is not comprised of 50% white males...that doesn't seem very diverse.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Yes, denying people a chance at a job based on the color of their skin. That's no way that isn't the right way to go.

I honestly hope you can see what's wrong with that policy.
    They were not denied at a chance at a job. They were given a chance and didn't get it. In reality, that situation never comes up.

Here is what actually happens in practice: If a workplace ends up with wildly disproportionate employee demographics, like 90% white in a 50% white area, they have to explain the practical reasons that their employee pool ended up looking this way. If they can't, the only reasonable explanation is discrimination and they are held accountable.

That's it. It's really not that scary or complicated.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Well Americans replaced a black guy with a tangerine
    WOOT Diversity !!! no matter how dumb tangerines are they need representation.next time around the tangerine needs to be replaced by some hummus.

They're not denying them a chance. They have a chance. They look at their applications and their qualifications and often times get an interview.

A lot of minorities don't even get an interview because of their race/skin color. Again, affirmative action policies don't say "choose the minority over the white guy regardless of qualifications"

If they're obviously not at least equally qualified, they don't have to hire them because of these policies. If they're obviously more qualified, then they must. If they're almost equally qualified to the point that it would be difficult to distinguish who is more qualified (same grades, similar skill/education level, same years of experience, etc) then it's best to hire the minority. This is the only real debatable circumstance and honestly probably wouldn't even be considered discrimination if you did go with the white guy. It only really protects the times when someone clearly more qualified gets passed over for a white guy.
    Even if equally qualified, it is unacceptable to give one group of people the job based on their skin color. It is flat out racism and bound to cause a whole strew of problems down the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be simple the most skilled people should get the job or position, all this identity politics it's going to end up biting them in the rear.