Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's certainly an odd year. I saw a hurricane is heading for Ireland too.

How much support does the EU provide in these circumstances? Or is a country-internal thing?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    It's certainly an odd year. I saw a hurricane is heading for Ireland too.

How much support does the EU provide in these circumstances? Or is a country-internal thing?
    Provided Portugal asks for help they do get it: https://reliefweb.int/report/portuga...-help-portugal

Shit happens. If they were a responsible country they would have lighter and matches control baked into there political documents to prevent things like this. After all a single man with a box of matches can do this to so many. Why is it so necessary for that to be that way? Because you like a toasty fire on a cold night while camping or cooking your food? We have other ways to do that these days without matches or lighters. They should be controlled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    So . . . which god did they piss off?
    The Witches weaved great firestorms.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Shit happens. If they were a responsible country they would have lighter and matches control baked into there political documents to prevent things like this. After all a single man with a box of matches can do this to so many. Why is it so necessary for that to be that way? Because you like a toasty fire on a cold night while camping or cooking your food? We have other ways to do that these days without matches or lighters. They should be controlled.
    I think you're somewhat off-base. The laws are there, people just don't give a sh*t. They are supposed to clean the area surrounding their properties but never do so. There's fires that have been discovered to have been started by cigarettes or garbage or whatever other nonsense. Unfortunately, people are irresponsible and there aren't enough employees in the competent authorities to keep track of it.

I am mad at the political class, but not for the reason you suggest.

A lot of the fires are set intentionally. Some of the fires are set accidentally by folk doing "queimadas" (burning dry bushes and stubble to clean the land for cultivation).

I'm mad at the government, not for not having laws aimed at prevention, but for not enforcing the laws they have. Dozens of pyromaniacs are arrested every year, but rarely go to trial or jail.

But I'm mostly infuriated with the political class because of the lobbies of the eucalyptus. It's very profitable, but highly flammable. And previous governments have completely deregulated the rules to allow for the planting of more of these trees. They sold our security and the lives of so many people for a couple of companies. It's disgraceful.

There's one more factor I can think of, which is that these fires run a certain economy surrounding departments of firefighting and companies that provide resources to it. As evident by the strange coincidence that one day after the government decided to conclude the program put in place to aid firefighting, seeing as we were well past the time were the occurrence of wildfires is more common, wildfires spring out of thin air everywhere (about a week ago).
    Last edited by Hugnomo; 2017-10-16 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    woo! not the only one on fire for once!(california native)
    3,000,000 acres burned in B.C Canada this summer.
    California had around 850,000 acres burn

Glad you noticed

Why don't people clear around their houses? Virtually every forest will burn sooner or later, it is a part of nature and it is needed.

Build a home close to the forest + time = 100% chance for a forest fire. The only think that will save you is enough clearing. Even if you luck out on rain you are simply delaying it. Old forests burn...always.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    3,000,000 acres burned in B.C Canada this summer.
    California had around 850,000 acres burn

Glad you noticed
    Don't worry, one day senpai will notice you as more than just best hat.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Why don't people clear around their houses? Virtually every forest will burn sooner or later, it is a part of nature and it is needed.

Build a home close to the forest + time = 100% chance for a forest fire. The only think that will save you is enough clearing. Even if you luck out on rain you are simply delaying it. Old forests burn...always.
    What lol? Every forest burnt is a part of nature? Wtf did I just read.

We probably have heard about it because we have the whole California fires that have killed 40 something people so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Forest burning is part of nature... forests routinely burn when it is dry... actually I believe it was pointed out that without humans forest fires would be more common as there would be more forest to catch on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We probably have heard about it because we have the whole California fires that have killed 40 something people so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Forest burning is part of nature... forests routinely burn when it is dry... actually I believe it was pointed out that without humans forest fires would be more common as there would be more forest to catch on fire.
    It is, but not all the forests.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how often such outbreaks occur and how people fight these forest fires. I know that in Russia there are whole firefighting units that supposed to prevent fire (by cutting down dry, dead trees and reacting to actual fire), just wonder whats their experience
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

2016 was the year of celebrity deaths, 2017 is the year of doomsday natural events, I can't wait for 2018...
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    nice so is california

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    So . . . which god did they piss off?
    My money's on Poseidon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I wonder how often such outbreaks occur and how people fight these forest fires. I know that in Russia there are whole firefighting units that supposed to prevent fire (by cutting down dry, dead trees and reacting to actual fire), just wonder whats their experience
    In Australia I think they burn off large strips of land before the hot season, to create firebreaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Lots of pine trees need fire so their pine cones release seed.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Nature sucks.

This article (about Spain) suggest that some of them may have been set intentionally...which sucks worse.
    Here in Australia it's estimated that 80-90% of bushfires are sparked intentionally or man made (cigarettes). Would expect that figure to be similar around the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Here in Australia it's estimated that 80-90% of bushfires are sparked intentionally or man made (cigarettes). Would expect that figure to be similar around the world.
    To be fair, everything in Australia tries to kill you, burning it all down could be seen as self defense =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

I think we're now at the point where it would be relevant to search for a worldwide cult of arsonists.

At least where I'm from there are certainly opportunist pyromaniacs who use natural bushfires as cover to start more fires.