Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Rofl. The rules outline how the game is played. If we ignore the rules cricket and baseball are the same, except they're not in any way except the most superficial. Same with football and rugby.
    We're talking about physical injuries - both Rugby and American Football involve tackling and what not... The same injuries and risk

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    At first I thought we were talking real football. Then realized it is "American football" which explains a thing or two.
    I know, these guys only got concussions. In "real football" players die. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b2e8206a26a9

Bad timing on America bashing.

Back when I played (mid/late 90s), nobody gave a shit about head injuries. It was common for me to hit someone facemask to facemask. I gave myself a concussion doing so my Jr year of high school and still had to ride 9 hrs home on the team bus. You didn't go to a doctor when you "got your bell rung".

I'm glad they take concussions seriously now. I dread the day future generations decide to replace my beloved sport with soccer. /puke
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    How the hell do you wind up with 9 concussions in one game?

Also, doesn't American football involve helmets and padding? Or am I mixing up the various ball sports again?
    When coaches tell their kids to use the head. I played american football for around 6 years. Brute force isn't the way to go in my opinion (just look at some talented Linemen in the NFL).
    I think, as others mentioned, the problem lies with the gear and with the coaches themselfes. Maybe they are in need of a proper tackle-practice. I recall we had a session each day of practice (2-3 times a week without gym). No matter what position you played, everyone needs to know how to safely, and efficently tackle someone.

Edit: People, there are more dangerous sports than american Football. There was also a study a couple years ago that soccer players are more likely to get injured than American Football players. (i'll try to find something online). Also, as said before, either it was their gear, or dumb coaches, or dumb players.
    Last edited by mmoc75936d2629; 2017-10-16 at 02:58 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    We're talking about physical injuries - both Rugby and American Football involve tackling and what not... The same injuries and risk
    The problem is not a question of there being risk involved in tackling and being tackled. That's a known risk, and one that is mostly manageable with appropriate coaching on both teams and enforcement of the rules by officials. Where things go wrong is when the risk is significantly increased due to a coach who encourages attempts to injure opponents, or officials who don't actually enforce the rules concerning hits targeting the head.

People accept and consent to the risks within the rules of the sport. They should not have to face additional risk due to poor officiating or bloodthirsty brutality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You participate in sports at your own risk. Not sure why it should be banned if you participate willingly.
    Because safety regulations are for the weakminded who would rather live a healthy life beyond the age of 30.

/s

Why go to the extreme? Just because I think participation in sports are at your own will and at your own risk doesn't mean I think people should be allowed to fight to death. Stop misrepresenting what people say.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't they have that thing under your chin that makes it almost impossible to get off if you don't unlock it?
    The chin strap does keep it on in most hits. But, is only a snap-on piece, so rotational force can cause it to pop off. You see it more often when the facemask gets turned to the side during a hit.

That being said, it doesn't happen very often, at most once or twice a game. It also doesn't usually lead to injuries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    At first I thought we were talking real football. Then realized it is "American football" which explains a thing or two.
    Yeah when the sayed "Sports I was thinking the same thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Should not be banned but a lot more exposure to the dangers and long term effects from football organisations should be made known so people can make the decision of whether they want to play or not. I agree with some other posters tho that the other team and specifically the coach/refs need to be investigated because 9 in a single game is just absurdly high and sounds intentional.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Why go to the extreme? Just because I think participation in sports are at your own will and at your own risk doesn't mean I think people should be allowed to fight to death. Stop misrepresenting what people say.
    Youre arguing with people who have probably never even exercised once in their life, they dont understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Well they do have chin straps but players don't always use them, the rule is they have to be present but it's optional if the players use them or not. (Going by NFL as I don't really watch football College or below)
    It is a penalty in the state of Ohio to not have a chin strap on and strapped at the start of a play.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both coachs should have been paying more attention to their players, the aggressive coach should have been watching his players more closely.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't they have that thing under your chin that makes it almost impossible to get off if you don't unlock it?

You mean a chin strap? Yes, everyone has them. But that still doesn't prevent the helmet from flying off if the hit is hard enough. They've taken steps on the college and NFL level to address CTE and concussion issue, but high school level is almost impossible to do that. The kids aren't looked after the same way. We had 3-a-day summer camps. Each was 2 hours, for two months during the summer. You spend a lot of time in full gear, with full contact. If you want to eliminate this problem, you need to get rid of the sport entirely. Even Pee-wee level football has hits to the point where it could cause damage. But the real issue here is the face that american football, country wide, makes so much money, that they're willing to risk whatever they have to to keep it going.

Some schools go a little overboard on building up their football teams. A game forfeited that score and that many injuries makes me curious as to where that school is getting their players. If the coach is bringing in large players from out of district to build a team that the other districts can't match, that school should lose their sports program for a while.

You participate in sports at your own risk. Not sure why it should be banned if you participate willingly.
    Because willing participation can literally mean anything. You can willingly participate in taking meth at your own risk.

That doesn't mean meth should be advocated at schools as a sport. Sports are risky, yes. But this sport in particular not only has a massive history of head trauma, it's also on children who's brains are still developing.

Not to mention, children are not adults. They do not have the right or the capability to participate willingly. Stop pretending that they know all the risks and medical complications that can haunt multiple-concussion victims for life, as ex-NFL players can tell you.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they shouldnt buy cheap assed chincy helmets from Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Maybe they shouldnt buy cheap assed chincy helmets from Walmart
    Maybe the school budget shouldn't be dictated by capitalism.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

7+ Year Old Account

Also, doesn't American football involve helmets and padding? Or am I mixing up the various ball sports again?
    The 'safety' equipment let's them hit harder. If you go by statistics, the average NFL player can suffer something like 10k concussions in their lifetime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes stupid players do stupid things...sadly my home team had one of its players do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi9s_uyZf9E

(Video is blocked from being viewed)

1. Probably someone being unsportsmanlike on the other team. Its common.

2. The padding has been shown to have little effect and may actually be making concussions worse because the helmets cause the head to bounce around more.

American Football is an awful sport and I am really glad the NFL is finally going down.