Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Arguing what it might be called is dumb. Yes, a 750w will most likely be more than enough. Volta will most likely be out late this year or early next year.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    You guys think 1080s will get any cheaper in the near future? Keep seeing them on sale for like ~$480-~$500.

Looking to upgrade my 970.
    Well the other guys mentioned what could be a solution - 1070Ti will be almost 1080 level, it won't be quite that but it will be around $420 or so, it's same core with tiny part disabled and slower memory. I'd say real world it will probably be 5% or so slower than 1080, which is not a big deal.

There are rumors they won't allow OC for that card, so no OC models, but it should be close enough. 1080s aren't going to be cheaper anytime soon, if anything chances are they will rise in price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Arguing what it might be called is dumb. Yes, a 750w will most likely be more than enough. Volta will most likely be out late this year or early next year.
    Nvidia pretty much shot down Volta for consumers anytime soon, it won't be this year. Guess it makes sense too because there is simply no competition, so they'll be just competing with themselves releasing new stuff for plebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

Nvidia pretty much shot down Volta for consumers anytime soon, it won't be this year. Guess it makes sense too because there is simply no competition, so they'll be just competing with themselves releasing new stuff for plebs.
    It depends on Vega.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    There are rumors they won't allow OC for that card, so no OC models, but it should be close enough. 1080s aren't going to be cheaper anytime soon, if anything chances are they will rise in price.
    Dunno how well a locked card will go with the tech people, then again it's a really small minority who even bother with tuning their cards after buying it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    We weren't really taking about release window anymore..

But yes, Huang did say, that Volta consumer GPUs won't be coming any time soon.. And with the rumors of them having GDDR6, it's gonna be a while still, because Micron ain't making any yet.
    Here's the thing, Volta is going to use GDDR6... this has been confirmed already and the some manufacturers stated they were in prototyping phase and they were ready for production "very early Q1 2018" ... which means January.
    Considering AMD is "stuck" with HBM and has shown no interest in returning to standard GDDR designs and nVidia has only ever shown interest in their compute cards for HBM ... yeah it's literally putting 1 and 1 together.

nVidia should be ready to showcase and release Volta during their event in February when GDDR6 is in full mass production by multiple companies such as SK Hynix, Samsung, Micron ... etc.
    GDDR5X was exclusive to Micron, GDDR6 is not so it's an open contest and price war that'll happen.

Day before nVidia's launch event (GTX 10 series as nVidia named it themselves) Micron confirmed they were starting mass production and few months before they confirmed that GDDR5X prototyping went faster and better than expected so they'd launch it sooner.
    So this time multiple manufacturers will be able to supply GDDR6 meaning nVidia has plenty to choose from.

So at the earliest the launch will be Feb 2018 because nVidia's holding an event regarding that where nVidia may delay it IF they so choose to milk Pascal a little bit more.. but before that there won't and can't be launches because GDDR6 is still in prototyping and "fixing" phase.

So don't believe they can launch them earlier, not happening with GDDR6, it simply isn't officially ready yet.

As far as naming scheme goes ... considering the last choices it'll likely be GTX 11 series, the GTX 20 naming scheme was just a rumour that popped up by some happy-go-lucky person and it stuck for whatever non-sense reason.
    Think about it, whilst not perfect, nVidia has stuck to GTX 200 -> GTX 1000 series (barring GTX 300 and 800) pretty faithfully and they called it GTX 10 series in their own launch event... why would it jump to 20 instead of 11?
    Unless they are completely altering their naming scheme (which I highly doubt considering their dominant gaming position right now) it should move to GTX 11.

In before specific people call me an idiot for using logic and reason.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

It depends on Vega.
    ... they made that announcement AFTER Vega launched. Because its not remotely a threat at all. Its too expensive, doesnt compete well, uses too much power and runs too hot. He 1070Ti is only coming to slam Vega 56 out of the price bracket.

Consumer Volta (other than perhaps an early release Titan XV) isnt coming any earlier than Q2 next year. Theres no reasosn to cannibalize their own cards that are now getti g cheaper to manufacture as he process matures, when there is literally no viable competition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    "Um, actually"
    It went 2, 3, 4, FX 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000, 100 (rebadged 9000), 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800 (rebadged 600/700 for oems), 900, 1000.

We're not on "10" series, we're on "1000", incrementing by 100's. At the same time, we're totally on the "10" system, because the "960" is part of both "9xx" and "900" naming system. There's.. not really any continuity.

Based off that, there's no 'conclusion' that it won't be 1180 or 2080. In fact, it's just as likely to change to yet again a new system like AMD did, like "nVidia 200X" or some silliness using names/abstract numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if it were something like "Blue 3 and 4, Yellow 5 and 6, and Red 7 and 8" or something awful.
    We’re on the 10 series, wether you agree wih it or not. You go to download the drivers, and its “10 series” in the menu on nVidias site. The 900 series is called the 900 series.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on Vega.
    Nothing depends on Vega, it's pretty much DoA. Yes, the whole 2 cards they made sold out and custom designs are only seen on paper so far. The only ray of hope in the darkness for Vega was 56 model, which is getting shat on by 1070Ti and knowing Nvidia they will flood market with that one.

I think its one of the most disastrous releases for red team in recent memory, Nvidia can afford to chill.

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends on Vega.
    No, Like @Kagthul and @Gaidax said, Vega was a complete and utter flop. With the 1070Ti probably getting out before the AIB Vegas and able to trounce on it while running much cooler, Vega has no hope.

Took too long, runs way too hot and cost way too much. AMD would have to sell them at $320 to even get rid of them to miners as nVidia will have plenty of Ti's.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    source? everyone's saying "according to rumors", but ALL of them failed to deliver a source.
    There's never any real "sources" yet many of the rumors are at least a fair amount true.

@OP, why not get the 1080 or 1080 Ti? For what it's worth, what I've seen has let on that the 20 series is most likely going to be a refresh without a huge gain in performance.

What could you possibly need more power for? And the 2080 very well will likely be weaker than the 1080 Ti, so why not go the Ti route?

Whatcha playing?

And 750 watt PSU is overkill.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Who knows what will be enough or not, IMO, 750W PSU is perfect. But yes, 600W would just be enough too, but the difference in price between two of the equal grade is pretty small generally, so it's always wise to overkill err - who knows maybe he will get that silly OC HEDT processors bug in his head and he will be happy he already got extra juice beforehand.

Reminds me of times when I ran Radeon HD 6990 on 620W PSU, it was a damn good PSU, but Radeon 6990 is a damn power hungry card, much more than even 1080Ti is. 600W PSU is just fine for sane configuration involving 1080Ti and decent I7 without too much OC madness, I bet even OC it is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    There's never any real "sources" yet many of the rumors are at least a fair amount true.
    in the tech-press there's always a source for all rumours if there's something to it. nobody being able to deliver a source means it's a hoax.
    and as there's still no source to the rumour of the next gen being the gtx20-series it definitely will be the gtx11-series.
    there's no logical reason for nvidia to go any otherway other than it "sounding cooler". *rolleyes*

10+ Year Old Account
    in the tech-press there's always a source for all rumours if there's something to it. nobody being able to deliver a source means it's a hoax.
    and as there's still no source to the rumour of the next gen being the gtx20-series it definitely will be the gtx11-series.
    there's no logical reason for nvidia to go any otherway other than it "sounding cooler". *rolleyes*
    It definitely will be?

You realize how dumb you're going to look making an absolute statement that it is going to be the 11 series, if it ends up as the 20 series, right? I'm not saying it definitely will be the 20 series, but sources that have proven correct during rumor-season in the past for me, are all pointing at 20 and then 30 series. I really don't care how it "sounds."

Personally I can see it going either way but I have a feeling NVidia is more likely to go 20 series.

However, to make such an assertive claim is gutsy. Unless you work for NVidia or one of the aftermarket brands, or are a high level reviewer, you really have no place making such a claim.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    but sources that have proven correct during rumor-season in the past for me, are all pointing at 20 and then 30 series.
    again, i dare anyone to show me the sources that claim it directly and not just mentioning the name in an unrelevant article.
    Last edited by Flaim; 2017-10-16 at 03:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it will be Volta it will be 20 series. If it will be a refresh of Pascal then 11.

It's just the matter of sense, the same way iPhone X is not iPhone 9 and Vega is not Radeon R 600 series.

Volta may not even be 20 series altogether and instead something new, but it is surely not going to go 1180 road.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-10-16 at 04:08 PM.

again, i dare anyone to show me the sources that claim it directly and not just mentioning the name in an unrelevant article.
    Here is one of the sources http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-vo...ked-2017-2018/
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    first of all, wtftech...lol.
    among the serious techpress they are the laughing stock for everyone (look at /r/pcmr, /r/amd, /r/nvidia, /r/intel. EVERYONE is laughing at them), because they're as reliable of a source as the next best walmart employee.
    they throw out 10 somewhat plausible guestimates per day and therefore get a few right every month, which doesnt support their credibility.

second, they just throw out the supposed naming scheme like it was confirmed, but never say where they got that one from, which i was specifically asking for!

tldr: wccftech is as far from a reliable source as it can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are deep in NDA right now, of course they can't provide legitimate sources otherwise it would show who is breaching NDA.

You must be very new to this... Have a seat.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    tldr: wccftech is as far from a reliable source as it can get.
    While wccftech is certainly far from infallible, its BS to legit info ratio is not THAT bad, actually. Certainly not 10 to 1, as you say.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why the name of the card even matters, I guess he's just in too deep now.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't know why the name of the card even matters, I guess he's just in too deep now.
    tbf. i don't care about the name itself, it's the illogical thought process that drives me nuts. if nvidia was to come out officially with a new naming scheme i'd be fine with that, but as it stands now after 10 comes 11.
    occams razor supports me with this "theory".