Thumbs up Should Video Games be an Olympic Sport?

My wife is taking a college course and the instructor wanted them to write a paper so she chose Video Games. She wants to use the Straw Poll for some statistical information to go with her paper.

If you would be so kind to vote I would appreciate it. If not then nothing to see here. These are not the droids you are looking for.

There are 2 Polls.

1: Do you think Video Games should be an Olympic Sport? http://www.strawpoll.me/14155937
    2: If Video Games were an Olympic Sport would you watch them? http://www.strawpoll.me/14155936

Thanks,

Nastrand

1. No.

2. Idk, it seems like a bitch to watch the Olympics. I was never really clear about what time each event was. I'm not gonna watch 9 g_y athletic events a day hoping to see something cool.

I mean, if it was on the front page of twitch and I happened to see it, I might not close the browser.

/thread

I don't feel like clicking the poll links btw so record my post as your answer.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    no, i'd like the olympics remain an event of actual sport, requiring physical training, trying to excel in strength, speed, agility, focus. An homage to the human body working at peek efficiency.

Also, what video games in particular? video games are fickle. sports like track and field, swimming, tennis, basket etc... they are mostly the same they were 20 years ago, and probably the same they will be 20 years for now.

the competitive video games scene changes. You would have a discontuinity over a large period of time.

Video games however could have their own "olympics". games i would include are

1 card game (hearthstone )
    1 STR (starcraft most likely)
    1 moba
    1 team FPS (counter strike, battlefield, CoD)
    1 sport (fifa)

probably more, as olypics, you may want 10-20 different games

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    no, i'd like the olympics remain an event of actual sport, requiring physical training, trying to excel in strength, speed, agility, focus. An homage to the human body working at peek efficiency.

Also, what video games in particular? video games are fickle. sports like track and field, swimming, tennis, basket etc... they are mostly the same they were 20 years ago, and probably the same they will be 20 years for now.

the competitive video games scene changes. You would have a discontuinity over a large period of time.

Video games however could have their own "olympics". games i would include are

1 card game (hearthstone )
    1 STR (starcraft most likely)
    1 moba
    1 team FPS (counter strike, battlefield, CoD)
    1 sport (fifa)

probably more, as olypics, you may want 10-20 different games
    Fighting Games already have their version of Olympics with Evo.

All the other major esports games have their own major competitions which would dwarf any Olympic style show case.

No real reason for it period. The only real purpose of it is seeing nationalism, and we already see that in esports.

And the real reason this topic has no boundary to even question is you have to be an amateur to compete in the official Olympics. Say goodbye to all of your favorite players because they're all sponsored and making money off competing. Olympic Esports without all of the best pro players in the world? Yea, 5 people might be interested in watching that. Good luck.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-10-17 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    And the real reason this topic has no boundary to even question is you have to be an amateur to compete in the official Olympics. Say goodbye to all of your favorite players because they're all sponsored and making money off competing. Olympic Esports without all of the best pro players in the world? Yea, 5 people might be interested in watching that. Good luck.
    They changed that rule like 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    They changed that rule like 30 years ago.
    You're right. I thought it was just for basketball so the event wasn't a joke but shows how much I care about/pay attention to the Olympics.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Next we will be asking if Hide and Seek should be included. Video Games? No.

Thanks for all the votes and replies.

Deleted
    "Video games" is a pretty damn broad term to use. Should Divinity: Original Sin 2 be an Olympic sport? Should the new Quake? Should Dune 2? Should E.T. from 1982? Should Pong?

How about you specify the game first.

I'm pretty much neutral on the subject, doesn't bother me one way or the other.

However, it might actually happen. There's current talks going on with the IOC about adding them into the 2024 summer Olympics in Paris.