Page 42 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    I think the show is good so far. I loved the first episodes, the visual was pretty amazing. (Episode 1). I don't mind having the Klingon changed a bit, but apparently they were meant to look like that, they just didnt have the budget at that time to have them "full faced" with make-up.

The story is just starting, we're comparing 4 episodes (5?) to legendary Sci-Fi series, so give it time. Its realistic, I like that the characters all have their flaws and strong attributes/skills/etc. The characters back stories are good, IMO.

So far so good, I can't wait for the next episodes.
    So far, it's safe to say that these first four episodes were better than the first four episodes of TNG.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't agree with the choice of having Data say "Oh shit" in Star Trek: Generations. I don't agree with STD's f-bomb either... for the same reason: It just doesn't feel right.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think I finally figured out why I dislike Discovery, it's because it has nothing to do with Star Trek lol.

Seriously, if the good guys weren't a member of an organisation called "Starfleet" and the bad guys weren't called "Klingons" then there would be absolutely nothing to tie it to any of the other series/films/etc. It shares none of the visual design/art cues (it looks more like Battlestar Galactica than Enterprise), none of the types of stories, it's basically like the creators skim read the Star Trek Wikipedia page and said "yup, let's make us some money".

This really hit home in the last episode when got ambushed by a D7 class battlecruiser which looked absolutely nothing like a D7 class battlecruiser, it's like they just Googled Klingon ships from TOS and then did their own thing haha. I mean what was the actual point of trying to make the Discovery look vaguely like a federation ship when you're not going to do it for ship designs that have already been established, it's stupid >.>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    So far, it's safe to say that these first four episodes were better than the first four episodes of TNG.
    The fourth episode of TNG series one is generally regarded as the worst Star Trek episode ever written so it would be hard for Discovery's fourth episode to fail to top that. However the previous three were nowhere near as good as the first three TNG episodes (The first two episodes of TNG made up the encounter at farpoint story introducing Q, Discoverys first two weren't even in the same league).

the best gay couple representation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    I think I finally figured out why I dislike Discovery, it's because it has nothing to do with Star Trek lol.

Seriously, if the good guys weren't a member of an organisation called "Starfleet" and the bad guys weren't called "Klingons" then there would be absolutely nothing to tie it to any of the other series/films/etc. It shares none of the visual design/art cues (it looks more like Battlestar Galactica than Enterprise), none of the types of stories, it's basically like the creators skim read the Star Trek Wikipedia page and said "yup, let's make us some money".

This really hit home in the last episode when got ambushed by a D7 class battlecruiser which looked absolutely nothing like a D7 class battlecruiser, it's like they just Googled Klingon ships from TOS and then did their own thing haha. I mean what was the actual point of trying to make the Discovery look vaguely like a federation ship when you're not going to do it for ship designs that have already been established, it's stupid >.>

- - - Updated - - -

The fourth episode of TNG series one is generally regarded as the worst Star Trek episode ever written so it would be hard for Discovery's fourth episode to fail to top that. However the previous three were nowhere near as good as the first three TNG episodes (The first two episodes of TNG made up the encounter at farpoint story introducing Q, Discoverys first two weren't even in the same league).
    I considered the pilot episodes as one. Yes, Encounter at Farpoint was not bad, but it was flawed. Some people didn't like the acting in Discovery pilot, but it was far worse in Encounter (just thinking about space cheerleader Troi...). TNG second(third) episode was "The Naked Now", where all the crew becomes crazy (a follow-up of TOS episode "The Naked Time"). Lots of cringy stuff in that one, with the beginning of Wesley's wizkid carreer... Data f*cking Tasha Yar, Crusher trying to seduce the captain... Should I go on? The third one was "Code of Honor", and as you said, it was the worst of all. Finally, the fourth was "The Last Oupost", where we meet the Ferengi. Remember? Armin Shimmerman said that he played Quark to repair what had been done in that episode. And the one after is "Where No One Has Gone Before", where the Traveler tells us how special Wesley is...

I really can't see how the weakest episode of Discovery we have seen til now could be worse than any of these four of TNG. In my opinion, the first good episode of TNG might have been "The Battle" (S01E09). Followed by the horrid "Hide and Q"...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Deleted
    Another episode where SM-G tries her hardest to physically be a Klingon by trying to create those Klingon forehead ridges doing a frowny face 99% of her scenes. Also, the way the Starfleet and Federation people speak and behave is constantly completely out of character for Starfleet and Federation personnel.

Did notice the nod to Enterprise with Jonathan Archer's name in the list of captain names on the screen, trying to convince us this is the "missing link" between Enterprise and ToS?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Star Trek can and should explore controversial and contemporary themes. But it must also be accessible to everybody and all ages. Not on broadcast TV or not, it should be appropriate for someone as young as 7.
    Clearly:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Did notice the nod to Enterprise with Jonathan Archer's name in the list of captain names on the screen, trying to convince us this is the "missing link" between Enterprise and ToS?
    There is nothing to convince. If a character from a hypothetical Star Trek work of fiction taking place in 2256 was to ask the ship's computer what were Star Fleet's top Captains, what names would you think it would display? STD is not a missing link. Its simply a show that takes place in 2256.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Both were good movies and would have been totally ruined if they were in English.
    If you say so, I avoided both because if I want to read, I will get a book.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    what names would you think it would display?
    If it was a JJ Abrams alternate reality show? I dunno. Hugo Reyes, Jack Shephard, James Ford. They were in Star Trek all along!
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-10-17 at 05:19 AM.

Deleted
    If it was a JJ Abrams alternate reality show? I dunno. Hugo Reyes, Jack Shephard, James Ford. They were in Star Trek all along!
    Pike was there

They've said its regular timeline, so its regular timeline. They've made some erroneous choices but that doesn't mean its some alternate universe.

I'm slightly pleased this episode had some properly dressed Klingons in it. Bonus points for Stamets being salty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    They've made some erroneous choices
    I know. Casting, lighting, music, intro theme, dialogue, Klingon make-up, starship design, overall attitudes and thematic direction... But aside from those horrible choices, it's watchable.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-10-17 at 01:49 PM.

It was really a big letdown hearing them call this ugly monstrosity of a Klingon ship the iconic D7 class. I wished they would have kept it vague.

I know. Casting, lighting, music, intro theme, dialogue, Klingon make-up, starship design, overall attitudes and thematic direction... But aside from those horrible choices, it's watchable.
    Fuck's sake. So now there's something wrong with the theme too?

And I still don't understand the complaints about the lighting. Is it because it looks more cinematic than the previous TV shows? Or because it's taking queues from the JJ-verse movies? Because as far as I can tell, the Discovery under Red Alert is pretty damn bright:

Sure, calling that Klingon ship a D-7 was a mistake on the part of writers who, let's be honest, probably just wanted to throw out a reference for the sake of throwing out a reference. It's never a good idea to underestimate how anal fans can be about this sort of thing. I can only hope that if the show does somehow manage to last more than one season, they will take things like that to heart and either make the Klingon ship they want to call a D-7 actually look like a D-7, or simply call it something else.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-10-17 at 06:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    If you say so, I avoided both because if I want to read, I will get a book.
    So you don't watch any movies/tv-series that aren't acted in English?

Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    So you don't watch any movies/tv-series that aren't acted in English?

Really?
    For the most part yes, I have a hard time focusing on the movie part while watching for and reading captions. I can't honestly think of a movie I watched that had Subtiles. Ironically I do watch TV with captions on.....thats largely to help identify garbled dialogue though, I dont actively read that.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love Discovery!
    Yes there are some minor issues. I am also watching The Next Generation parallel to Discovery. I have not seen TNG before. It's a good show and the highest rated Star Trek TV show .
    TNG has some really really stupid situations.
    Klingon and that human blonde female security officers are dumb as fuck. Their initial reaction to everything is "blow it up!". Sure I could understand the Klingon reaction (although a Starship officer from the academy should be able to restrain themselves from trying to fight everything, even Klingons), but that human womans behavior is stupid. Apparently in the 80's, it was ok not to think rationally and try to blow things up, as long as you work with security.
    Aside from Patric Stewart and Data's performance, everyone else sucks. Especially the previously mentioned characters and the first officer.
    Also, I had a good laugh at the part where the whole Enterprise goes to red alert, while the first officer and the captain are in the holodeck having a chat with some characters not aware of the ship going to red alert... lol WTF. They came out of the holodeck and were like "WTF? The ship is in red alert and about to blow up?"
    How many years in the future and holodeck not having a red alert warning is ok? /facepalm

Discovery has its issues, but Star Trek purists should remember that even the best Star Trek shows are far from very good. Still better than Star Wars though.

I'm betting Ash will be another Darvin and be a Klingon spy surgically altered to look human (possibly revealed by Lorca's Tribble he keeps around). I've seen quite a few posts speculating that it might be Voq. Either way I feel Ash is simply to convenient to not be some kind of spy.
    Last edited by Phaere; 2017-10-23 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were CBS/Paramount, I'd scrap this trainwreck and start over. After this whole "D7" middle finger, we're starting to see a lot of formerly ardent apologists for STD reluctantly admit that this show can NOT be taking place in the established, Prime Star Trek universe. There's just no escaping it.

It won't be scrapped, the sheer ammount of rage from SJW's would blow up the universe. Fucking Jar Jar Abrams, i wish he never touched anything movie related...

Oh and STD is really fiting acronym for this abomination.