Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    My 2500k system died 6 months ago, so I'm really wanting a system better than this potato laptop. I went with the ASRock Extreme4. From what it sounds like I made a smart choice by not going with ASUS since their boards are having vdroop/llc issues.

When I bought my 1080 last week I noticed the amount charged was $60 lower than it should have been, then a $60 charge appeared for the game so it evened out. They must do that so if you return what you bought you can't stiff them for the game.
    That credit card/charge system doesn't work like that here mostly because credit cards are rare and we have debit cards.
    Which are only allowed to get 1 charge from the point of ordering so no separate charges whatsoever.

So once they take it back they have to give it back full and aren't allowed/able to charge me back again.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:

It's here... My brain is not handling the stress well...
    I want to use it but it feels blasphemous to use GigaByte.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    That credit card/charge system doesn't work like that here mostly because credit cards are rare and we have debit cards.
    Which are only allowed to get 1 charge from the point of ordering so no separate charges whatsoever.

So once they take it back they have to give it back full and aren't allowed/able to charge me back again.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:

Im going with the Giga G7 and a i7 8700k when i can get the i7 here in Denmark (Proberly wont be untill now/dec sadly). The reviews on the Giga G7 is just to good, to not go for. I really don't think you will win much, going for the code board and if the price is like here in Denmark, then there is a prices differens of allmost 150EU
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:

I realy dislike choosing motherboards, I was debating in my head for the longest time between X299 and Z370 and then which motherboard to choose, then ofc when you do make up your mind the motherboard you wanted to buy is out of stock for who knows how long.

I almost went for a X299 gigabyte but decided against in the end, it came with a free 32GB optane drive but who on a modern PC needs an optane drive? Chose an Asrock in the end, was a good 70€ cheaper and works fine so far.

if I would have gone Z370 I was looking for the maximus Hero but this time around it seems a bit light on SATA connectors.

I was never realy happy with my MSI z270a gaming 5 so avoided MSI this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

I wonder if people are kicking themselves they got that i7 2600k instead of that phenom x2 back in the day. But hey, it saved them 50 bucks and it could overclock so it's almost the same right?(plus the mobo was cheaper, don't forget!!)

cant tell if sarcasm, or serious. or for which part youre trying to diss.

Quote Originally Posted by Axaion View Post
    cant tell if sarcasm, or serious. or for which part youre trying to diss.
    He is saying when you amortize a phenom vs a sandy the sandy bridge was clearly a better option as it is still relevant even if it and it's platform cost a little more. Phenom? Not so much, I straight up pity you if you are still clunking along with one of those.

Now looking forward as to ryzen vs coffee, can't really say. I still stand by single thread performance being the swiss army knife of processing power though. Until ryzen can get clock speeds like intel I would always pick intel.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Im going with the Giga G7 and a i7 8700k when i can get the i7 here in Denmark (Proberly wont be untill now/dec sadly). The reviews on the Giga G7 is just to good, to not go for. I really don't think you will win much, going for the code board and if the price is like here in Denmark, then there is a prices differens of allmost 150EU
    I understand what you mean and realize that however I do need some of the functions which are offered natively via that board vs. what's being given on other boards.

The Maximus X Code will feature 9 back USB ports for example, something I sorely need due to the amount of USB devices I have especially for data retrieval, have a WiFi adapter as backup for when I need to help clients on the fly and my net is down (doesn't happen often but it does happen), has enough SATA ports for my storage etc. etc.
    I could get a powered USB hub to solve it, get cards on other functionalities etc. but I want to have it natively so I don't have to use all that add-on crap.
    That is why I want the ASUS Maximus X Code primarily (otherwise I would've gone X Formula for bling bling).

I'm even intending on using the Type C on the back converted into normal Type A for devices.

The only thing I loathe right now is the availability of the Maximus X Code board... why so late Goddamnit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I realy dislike choosing motherboards, I was debating in my head for the longest time between X299 and Z370 and then which motherboard to choose, then ofc when you do make up your mind the motherboard you wanted to buy is out of stock for who knows how long.
    This is currently my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I almost went for a X299 gigabyte but decided against in the end, it came with a free 32GB optane drive but who on a modern PC needs an optane drive? Chose an Asrock in the end, was a good 70€ cheaper and works fine so far.

if I would have gone Z370 I was looking for the maximus Hero but this time around it seems a bit light on SATA connectors.

I was never realy happy with my MSI z270a gaming 5 so avoided MSI this time around.
    All boards since the Z97 / Z170 generation have had a chronic lack of USB ports in the back and SATA ports on board.
    And it's infuriating... you either get a board that has it all and costs you an arm and a leg or a board that is so low on those features it makes you want to snap it in half.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    He is saying when you amortize a phenom vs a sandy the sandy bridge was clearly a better option as it is still relevant even if it and it's platform cost a little more. Phenom? Not so much, I straight up pity you if you are still clunking along with one of those.
    The comparison itself is flawed though since the Phenom was never intended to go against Sandy Bridge but against the Core2 Duo and Quad range, which it did.
    Even against the first generation i7 CPUs it was still a good price/performance purchase but was getting old.
    Bulldozer did not make things better, so yes you should be pitying those who still use something which is significantly older than Sandy Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Now looking forward as to ryzen vs coffee, can't really say. I still stand by single thread performance being the swiss army knife of processing power though. Until ryzen can get clock speeds like intel I would always pick intel.
    Fully depends on workload, and by extension software used, as gaming currently STP is more important because not everything CAN be parallelized where-as "business" workloads often can and they live on threads more than frequency MOST of the time.

Both Ryzen and Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake are good uArchs .. no doubt about that but both have strengths and weaknesses and as is clearly shown neither is a clear victor over another in general except in specific categories ... so unless you prioritize an extreme over another you'll always have a good experience.
    (Prioritize gaming over everything else = Intel, prioritize f.ex. content creation over everything else = Ryzen even with Coffee Lake, do either casually and both will be close to equal for any person in general)
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

I understand what you mean and realize that however I do need some of the functions which are offered natively via that board vs. what's being given on other boards.

The Maximus X Code will feature 9 back USB ports for example, something I sorely need due to the amount of USB devices I have especially for data retrieval, have a WiFi adapter as backup for when I need to help clients on the fly and my net is down (doesn't happen often but it does happen), has enough SATA ports for my storage etc. etc.
    I could get a powered USB hub to solve it, get cards on other functionalities etc. but I want to have it natively so I don't have to use all that add-on crap.
    That is why I want the ASUS Maximus X Code primarily (otherwise I would've gone X Formula for bling bling).
    From what i can see both the Formula and the Code have the 9 USB posts at the back unless Asus their own spec sheet is wrong.
    https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximu...r-coffee-lake/

So you should be able to still opt for that bling

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    From what i can see both the Formula and the Code have the 9 USB posts at the back unless Asus their own spec sheet is wrong.
    https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximu...r-coffee-lake/

So you should be able to still opt for that bling
    I meant to phrase that differently.

If I was in it for bling AND functionality I would've picked the Formula since they are almost identical but the Formula was built with watercooling blocks on the VRMs as well as an LCD display on where the old Northbridge chips used to be.
    I simply want the functionality that the Code offers without the need for the watercooling blocks or LCD of the Formula.
    I am content with the functionality and the post code LEDs so that if there's an issue I can troubleshoot it.

That's why I want a board with everything I need on the board itself so I don't need to get annoying add-on cards to complete it.

I am intending a clean build in an Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX with a modded front and top panel (can be done in Germany for like 30 euros per panel orso) so the case's airflow issues are solved and look incredibly fking sexy at the same time.

I'll still be forced to live with a see though side-panel (which I SINCERELY do not give a flying fuck about, if I could order it closed I would since that also dampens sound better) but it's better than living with the current crap that is the H500p.

Cooler Master may soon sell mesh fronts and tops for the H500p (looking at the comments in the Gamers Nexus H500p mod video) but too little too late, especially if they remain as flimsy as the current panels are.

snip
    Most of the boards come with plenty of internal usb ports, would an expansion bracket like this one be too much of an addon? I dont think its quite the same as an external usb hubben. Might be a solution.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Most of the boards come with plenty of internal usb ports, would an expansion bracket like this one be too much of an addon? I dont think its quite the same as an external usb hubben. Might be a solution.
    I have a couple of those lying about but the Internal Ports I have will get used on Card Reader, Liquid Cooling etc.
    So barring the fact that I am already using the internal ports for devices I could find a board that has more but eventually come out to still lack ports.

Technically the ASUS Maximus X Code has 10 USB ports in the back (4 x USB2.0, 4 x USB3.0, 1 x USB3.1 Gen1 and 1 x USB3.1 Gen2 Type-C), but for ease I'm not counting the Type-C connector which I could convert (and chances are I'll need that too!) to Type-A on the back and 5 USB ports on the board itself, of which all 5 will be used as well (or at least 4 will until I can find a convertor from the USB3.1 Gen2 internal connector to connect another internal device but that one is not quite that important to me ... yet).

If you look at other boards they are generally equipped with the same anemic USB port connectors, most of them are USB3.0 ports where they have 1 more or less of but USB2.0 internal headers seem to be SORELY lacking to power both internal devices and on the back.

I need the vast majority on the back and the ASUS Maximus X Code is by far the cleanest way to do so whilst matching my other criteria as well without littering the system full of cables left, right and center.

Look at the board I've gotten, the GigaByte AORUS Z370 Gaming 7, and notice it has 6 USB ports in the back (again ignoring the Type-C like on the Code) and 2 internal USB2.0 headers for 4 more ports making the sum total 10 at the back connectivity ports, now taking the Code .. it has 9 before any ports on the internal header... that's a pretty big difference, especially in clean builds.

The one thing I had considered was the following:
    https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

But I'll approach that if the ports present on the Maximus X Code should prove to be insufficient (read: enough) for my needs as this could potentially be hidden entirely from all cable mess in the back/bottom of the case behind the PSU shroud.
    And it's also magnetized if you have a steel case, little pointless if aluminium of course.

But that's just from a hardware PoV, like I said I also have other preferences ... I very much prefer the control and options as well as the layout of the UEFI BIOS on ASUS boards than I do on GigaByte boards ... ESPECIALLY MSI boards which UEFI BIOS layout I so despise because it makes no sense to me with some functions.
    Note that I'm not saying that MSI's UEFI BIOS is functionally bad, simply the layout.. and ASUS does tend to have the better UEFI BIOSes.. especially over time.

Thank you for the suggestion though ... even if you do dislike me.

Had to get a guildie to buy it in Romania and send it to Norway since 8600k \ 8700k isnt expected till december here.

Wish me luck in the lottery.

Edit:

5ghz @ 1.32v. Just a random number I chose based on what reviewers used. Saw Jayz run 5ghz @ 1.35v. Still a chance I can go lower on the voltage.

Running prime at 90c-ish with fans running at a relatively low rpm, 1300ish. So far so good after 20 minutes.

Looks like I got myself a decent chip.

Edit2:
    Noticed HWmonitor and Cpuz says 1.36v even though I set it to 1.32v. Known issue?

Edit3:
    Guess I gotta tinker a bit with LLC. But I'll leave it for now to check stability.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2017-10-16 at 07:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post

Had to get a guildie to buy it in Romania and send it to Norway since 8600k \ 8700k isnt expected till december here.

Wish me luck in the lottery.

Edit:

5ghz @ 1.32v. Just a random number I chose based on what reviewers used. Saw Jayz run 5ghz @ 1.35v. Still a chance I can go lower on the voltage.

Running prime at 90c-ish with fans running at a relatively low rpm, 1300ish. So far so good after 20 minutes.

Looks like I got myself a decent chip.

Edit2:
    Noticed HWmonitor and Cpuz says 1.36v even though I set it to 1.32v. Known issue?

Edit3:
    Guess I gotta tinker a bit with LLC. But I'll leave it for now to check stability.
    Build pics!

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Build pics!
    Forgot!

Been running 5.1ghz @ 1.33v for 20 min in prime @ 90c ish. CPU-Z says 1.376v. Seems to be stable.

Seems like a golden sample. You can probably sell it for a lot

https://i.imgur.com/IjQ2rVp.png

This is after 20 min of Prime @ 90c. As you can see I'm running the fans a bit high to keep temps in check, but its been stable for 2x 20min runs so far. And I dont really like running prime with temps that high.

Now, I'm fairly green when it comes to overclocking, so if you guys could give me some tips on stuff to adjust, I'd be grateful!

Edit: I'm also using the pre-applied TIM that came with the cooler. Can prob squeeze out a few extra degrees when I find my damn Arctic silver tube.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2017-10-17 at 12:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My 8600k actually shipped today, I ordered on the 5th @ 3:30 AM EST from Newegg which was half an hour after they became available for backorder.

I already have the rest of my hardware so this means I'll be able to RMA via Newegg if anything's defective since It's within 30 days, and after 6 months I'm eager to have a worthwhile system.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    My 8600k actually shipped today, I ordered on the 5th @ 3:30 AM EST from Newegg which was half an hour after they became available for backorder.

I already have the rest of my hardware so this means I'll be able to RMA via Newegg if anything's defective since It's within 30 days, and after 6 months I'm eager to have a worthwhile system.
    We need pictures when it's built

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/IjQ2rVp.png

This is after 20 min of Prime @ 90c. As you can see I'm running the fans a bit high to keep temps in check, but its been stable for 2x 20min runs so far. And I dont really like running prime with temps that high.

Now, I'm fairly green when it comes to overclocking, so if you guys could give me some tips on stuff to adjust, I'd be grateful!

Edit: I'm also using the pre-applied TIM that came with the cooler. Can prob squeeze out a few extra degrees when I find my damn Arctic silver tube.
    What are your gaming temps looking like? I'm considering delidding my 8700k :/

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    What are your gaming temps looking like? I'm considering delidding my 8700k :/
    Max 70c with the preapplied TIM. I just switched to Liquid Metal while waiting for Casekings to get the delid tool back in stock, and it shaved off like 3-4c in prime. Good stuff! Will prob shave off like 10-15c extra after I delid it.

I'm also running it @ 5ghz atm just to keep the temps low until I get the tool. That extra 100mhz wont do me any good anyways
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2017-10-19 at 10:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    FOOOOOOKKKK....

I returned the GigaByte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 to the store 3 days ago.
    And I just found out that the ASUS Maximus X Code is planned for mid November to have the first shipments AT THE EARLIEST.

IHWGFIUHW$ GUHUOHBNFUVN$E GU(BVU$(B$B$HB(V*$

FFS.... fine I'll guess I'll go with ASRock Z370 Extreme4 as a cheap alternative till the ASUS Maximus X Code is in and work with Godawful unsightly back USB brackets.
    Goddamnit ASUS ... why?