Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionexe View Post
    It's boring compared to Pokemon games. You can't possibly compare pet battles with a masterpiece like Pokemon.
    I think it needs a complete combat redesign. I rarely see anyone doing pet battles for anything else but selling pets for gold and rewards, but doing it out pure fun fun? Nah.
    I only played gen 1 when things were simpler, but the only real thing I'd like to import from pokemon to pet battles is the ability to freely swap out your own pets when you defeat one of your npc opponent's. Enemy X fainted. Enemy tamer is going to use Y. Would you like to switch? Y/N? Big qol improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    I have a use.. a purpose
    Which is pissing and moaning about things you don't like on a gaming website? I have never seen you write a single positive thing about any subject.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    I like that idea, but I'm sure the mandatory crowd would be out in force whining.
    I just collect, haven't really got into the battling side. I'm not too hardcore about the collecting either, I just capture new stuff if I happen to run past it.
    I was pretty much the same way when I played. If I found a cool/rare one, awesome. I might put one out if it had a special idle animation (the little Marrowgar one from ICC that occasionally yelled, "BOOOOONE STOOOOORM" for example). Other than that, meh. For the record, I'm a big Pokemon fan as well.
    Problems with WoW: No server communities, too much cross-realm crap, too many raiding difficulties, guilds don't matter anymore.
    Fix it: Limit server transfers, merge more servers, reduce raiding to 2 difficulties (N/H, 10/25), bring raiding back to guilds again (limit # of cross-realm players in your group). #MakeWoWGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by BHD View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/falcosaur-guide

There's 4 mounts from there I believe, several quests in the chains don't actually require any pet battling though.
    But all of them do at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    The system hasn't really improved in any particularly meaningful way since MoP. As such, I barely bother with them these days. It needs a lot of spicing up in my opinion.

I still collect every pet I can, but I don't roam the fields hunting down rares of everything in the way I used to.
    They got rid of the random chance to miss/be dodged. Added the elite and boss tags to break some cheesy strats everyone was using for every hard single fight. Also if you're hunting down rares you're kinda doing it wrong. You can always upgrade a pet to rare, very easily these days, but you can't change your pet's breed, which controls its stat placement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no there's an aspect of the game you don't like but others do? I don't like getting the weekly quests for Arenas or Battlegrounds, you don't see me complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    I don't remember seeing participation stats for things like that, but if they did, what was the criteria for it? If I did 1 pet battle a month, does that make me a full-blown pet battler in the statistics? And you said your friends collect things like mounts and pets, which is fine, but collecting pets doesn't mean you battle with them or even *enjoy* that system.
    It was mentioned back on the first of second page, type /f google. Blizz released some stats back in MoP. How many BGs have been created over the history of WoW. How many pve dungeons. How many pet battles. And pet battles, which had only been out about 2 years at that point, had 3x more of them done than all BGs put together since the start of WoW, or something to that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    It was mentioned back on the first of second page, type /f google. Blizz released some stats back in MoP. How many BGs have been created over the history of WoW. How many pve dungeons. How many pet battles. And pet battles, which had only been out about 2 years at that point, had 3x more of them done than all BGs put together since the start of WoW, or something to that nature.
    But 1 pet battle takes a couple minutes whereas a BG could take over an hour (if you think about the old ones). I'll look for it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm View Post
    Oh no there's an aspect of the game you don't like but others do? I don't like getting the weekly quests for Arenas or Battlegrounds, you don't see me complaining.
    Why can;t people make a post on MMO-Champ without getting accused of whining/crying/complaining? This is what forums are for. Also, I didn't even read the post as a complaint, it was more of a question for personal knowledge. Smh.
    Problems with WoW: No server communities, too much cross-realm crap, too many raiding difficulties, guilds don't matter anymore.
    Fix it: Limit server transfers, merge more servers, reduce raiding to 2 difficulties (N/H, 10/25), bring raiding back to guilds again (limit # of cross-realm players in your group). #MakeWoWGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by darkfire979 View Post
    According to the infographic that Blizzard release back in 2014 (Just google 'world of warcraft infographic'), 600k+ PVP instances was created, 900k+ PVE instances was created but 3.6M Pet battle instances was created. Which was impressive then consider pet battles was introduce only in 2012.
    Yeh 600k pvp instances and 900k pve instances easily include 6-9 mil (non unique) players (taking low estimate of 10 players per inst) and pet battles are mostly single player vs NPC so make that 100-150k non unique players as players tend to do more than one fight per day (10-15 to be precise)
    so yeh, not popular enough to justify a dedication of a weekly reward.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I do quite enjoy pet battles. I enjoy collecting the pets and I enjoy going through the PvE content. Why do I enjoy it? Why do people like any hobby involving a collection? I guess it's just part of human nature.

If you want an idea of how popular it is, go to a site like warcraftpets. The site has over 100K registered users, presumably all have some interest in pet battles. Bear in mind that not everyone who does pet battles knows about the site, so the real number of people who care about them is probably even bigger.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    Yeh 600k pvp instances and 900k pve instances easily include 6-9 mil (non unique) players (taking low estimate of 10 players per inst) and pet battles are mostly single player vs NPC so make that 100-150k non unique players as players tend to do more than one fight per day (10-15 to be precise)
    so yeh, not popular enough to justify a dedication of a weekly reward.
    you are wrong! the quoted data was pvp pet battles not pve silly
    so yeah deal with the fact its more popular then pvp and mythic these days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    you are wrong! the quoted data was pvp pet battles not pve silly
    so yeah deal with the fact its more popular then pvp and mythic these days
    Number of instances is misleading statistic. Pet battle PvP instance takes 2 people. PvP Instances take from 6 (3v3 arena) to 80 people (40v40 BGs). Same with PvE. At minimum one instance takes 5 people. For raids it's 10-30 people.

No, not really. If I want to play Pokémon I can play Pokémon. But it's fine that is exists.

Myself, I played them for a while when they were introduced, but lost interest fast when facing the trainers with all epic/legendary teams that you needed an exact team to counter, then just threw yourself at over and over until RNG favored you.

I'd agree most people like simply collecting them over battling them.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Im not personally interested in collecting all pets(i already caught every single Pokémon in AS and im missing a few in Pkmn Moon), but i can really see the appeal from Pet battles and why some people enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    That is true. The perks wouldn't be anything game-breaking for that reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember seeing participation stats for things like that, but if they did, what was the criteria for it? If I did 1 pet battle a month, does that make me a full-blown pet battler in the statistics? And you said your friends collect things like mounts and pets, which is fine, but collecting pets doesn't mean you battle with them or even *enjoy* that system.
    Its probably like every other thing they do when they release these stats or participation things, do it once per sub cycle you get counted. Like subs or percentages of players doing dungeons and raids, log in once a month or kill one raid boss and you get counted. I also agree with the collecting part but you still have to do a pet battle most of the time to get the pet which is counted as participating.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are quite popular....seeing I have sold many Rare pets for well over 250K quite a few times....I still sell the Lost Netherpup for good amount of gold each week too...I can usually avg 8 too 10K for that little pup.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Which is pissing and moaning about things you don't like on a gaming website? I have never seen you write a single positive thing about any subject.
    It's not my fault you haven't been paying attention.

I love LFR and Mythic+. I also like exclusive rewards and not being able to fly. I also enjoy eating bananas and running early in the morning
    Last edited by tikcol; 2017-10-17 at 04:42 PM.

Pvp pet battles are not popular at all. I queue up when its not pet battle bonus week and one of two things will happen

1. Queue will not pop.
    2. I draw the same person every time.

Happens on all my servers too.

Altho a huge problem is that you cannot queue from argus so that probably drops participation quite a bit.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionexe View Post
    Maybe, but I have hard time imagining it. Why would anyone choose Pet battles and not Pokemon, unless they didn't play it and they don't know how much better is it? It's like playing one of those crappy free mmos and not WoW.
    Because one can be played while playing WoW and the other isn't related to WoW? Pet battles isn't about replicating the experience of Pokemon. That argument is old and ill fitting.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I had a lot of fun with them. Playing some 2000 pve pet battles and 500 pvp ones. It felt like a nice complementary activity in WoW and it was interesting to see a mini-pokemon game incorporating all the stuff that I had collected in WoW. I don't like Pokémon enough to play the standalone games, but I like it enough to be interested as a side-game in my MMO of choice, since I get to see all those pets I collected in action.

I can't say the same for the pet RTS in FFXIV, for example. That minigame just bored me. Pet Battles in WoW were a lot of fun for me.

I do a fair bit of PVE pet battling and enjoy its puzzle-like nature. PVP pet battles aren't interesting to me at all.