Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Best Games Ive Played In Awhile.

I Was Thinking About Some Of The Video Games I've Played Over The Last Couple Years. And I Absolutely Loved Them. So Here Is A Shout Out To Those Fantastic Games.

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PlayStation 4-VR) Was Great, Something Like That Is What VR Is Made For. One Experience I Will Never Forget.

The Last Guardian (PlayStation 4) What To Say About This Game, While Frustrating At Times. The A.I. Was Great, The Graphics Beautiful, And The Story Was An Emotional Rollercoaster With Almost No Dialog Needing To Be Said.

Zelda: Breath Of The Wild.(Nintendo Switch) The Most Recent Game I've Completed And It Was By Far The Best Zelda Game In The Series. And That's Coming From Someone Who Has Played Zelda Titles Since I Was A Child. Nintendo Really Nailed This Game.

Are There Any Recent Games You Just Loved And Would Like To Sing The Praise Of ? Something You Think Is Worth Suggesting To Others ?

I was quite late to the party but i have to say Darkest dungeon really surprised me alot and tho i actually rage quitted during my end game in DD because of many death i really love the game and hope to return to it one day and looking forward to a DD2

I Also Write Every Word With A Capital Letter
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

I love when people say breath of the wild is the best Zelda game and then go on to tell people that they've totes played them all like it somehow makes their opinion valid. I too have played the majority of Zelda games and breath of the wild is no where near the best one. It's not bad but the breakable weapons knocked it down about 50 pegs.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    Nice blog mate.
    What? This is a forum for discussion. He's trying to discuss the games we've played that we think are great. It's sure as hell not as blog-y as some other users on here.

OT: Hollow Knight from earlier this year. It's a metroidvania. The art is fantastic and it oozes charm. I also agree with you on Resident Evil 7, though I haven't played the others. It was very atmospheric, at least for the first part (before the mines). The expansion for XCOM 2 was also very good in my opinion, it added a lot and expanded a great deal upon the original. There was a honestly a bigger jump from XCOM 2 to War of the Chosen than there was between XCOM and XCOM 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I Keep Hearing People Saying That Weapon Breaking Ruined The Game For Them, While I Agree That It Feels Stupid Early Into The Game, It Never Felt Like An Issue Once I Was Able To Easy Clear The Coliseum And Kill Lynel's. My Biggest Gripe Was The Rain, As Climbing Becomes Almost Impossible. And Climbing Is Important For Reaching A lot Of Areas. Even Still, I Really Enjoyed My Time Spent In Hyrule From BotW And I'm Looking Forward To More DLC For It. But If You Think Breath Of The Wild Is Not The Best Zelda Game In The Franchise, I Would Love To Hear What You Think Is The Best ?

For me over the last couple years:

#1 - Warframe. Lot's of content, free, engaging, combat is so much fun. Love it.

#2 - Paladins. I played the Alpha and Beta and had way more fun than Overwatch (I like them both though).

#3 - FFXIV. I love this game! Reminds me of Rift and Guild Wars 2 in one. Only problem is many servers are very quiet despite the large amount of people playing. Different concept of chatting in this game. However, love the combat, questing, and difficulty. The other reason I like it is that it has that Vanilla WoW feel to it in that I don't know whats going on a lot, so it feels "new".

#4 - Smite. Like a Third Person LoL. I have had a lot of fun since the Alpha in this game. Just a blast.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the last game that I felt that was probably the Witcher 3, but to be fair I haven't had much chance to try out new games in the past year. Still waiting on a free period of time where I can start working on those PS4 RPGs...

Honorable mention to Trails in the Sky series, while abit too slow to make me go "woah this game is actually awesome", it's really decent.

I'm more in to PC gaming. The first game was RF Online. A shame that it's a dead game now. Another favorite of mine is Phantasy Star Online 2. However the NA server was closed so again it's exclusive to Japan. I'm currently enjoying Black Desert Online. I especially love the open world exploration and the lovely scenery.

For consoles, the Front Mission series (Front Mission 3 to be exact) is my all time favorite. And let's not forget Castlevania. I am so looking forward to Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It's Igavania all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteizgr8 View Post
    I Keep Hearing People Saying That Weapon Breaking Ruined The Game For Them, While I Agree That It Feels Stupid Early Into The Game, It Never Felt Like An Issue Once I Was Able To Easy Clear The Coliseum And Kill Lynel's. My Biggest Gripe Was The Rain, As Climbing Becomes Almost Impossible. And Climbing Is Important For Reaching A lot Of Areas. Even Still, I Really Enjoyed My Time Spent In Hyrule From BotW And I'm Looking Forward To More DLC For It. But If You Think Breath Of The Wild Is Not The Best Zelda Game In The Franchise, I Would Love To Hear What You Think Is The Best ?
    A Link to the Past and OOT. I am playing through Breath of the Wild right now and I do enjoy it and think its a good game. the weapon breaking isn't a huge deal to me. The main difference for me is the Dungeons/Puzzles. While I don't mind the shrines too much and some of the puzzles are good. its just not the same. it feels like something else with Zelda painted on a bit at times. I do like it though just not at the top of the list.

also the rain does suck.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dying Light - Amazing Zombie Open World game, Developers also seem to love their game as starting yesterday they have 10 for 12 whihc is 10 free DLC for the next 12 months.
    Battle Chasers: Night War - Beautiful and very needed turn based RPG.
    Shadow of War - Just good old fashion Actiony fun.

Dat shift key getting worked hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    I Also Write Every Word With A Capital Letter
    My God... it's unreadable. Even the Germans don't do this :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    What? This is a forum for discussion. He's trying to discuss the games we've played that we think are great. It's sure as hell not as blog-y as some other users on here.

OT: Hollow Knight from earlier this year. It's a metroidvania. The art is fantastic and it oozes charm. I also agree with you on Resident Evil 7, though I haven't played the others. It was very atmospheric, at least for the first part (before the mines). The expansion for XCOM 2 was also very good in my opinion, it added a lot and expanded a great deal upon the original. There was a honestly a bigger jump from XCOM 2 to War of the Chosen than there was between XCOM and XCOM 2.
    I don't know how Hollow Knight's existence escaped me. This looks like a true gem. Thank you good sir.

Breath of the Wild looked amazing, but the equipment durability thing was absolutely horrible. Could not stand it. If the game didn't have that it would have been fantastic. As it is though, it's not even worth picking up again....I had to force myself to push through and beat it and was relieved when I finally did as I didn't have to deal with all my shit breaking all the time.

Best game I've played in a while though:

Horizon: Zero Dawn - probably one of the best games I've ever played. Looks fantastic, game play is solid, story was great with great character development and pacing and decent replay ability as your approach to how you fight can change enough to make it interesting.

I play mostly MMO's but I stick to FFXIV mostly as it's my favorite, but that's why I don't have many

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought breath wasn't very good. Anyway, not really. I've just been playing niche weeb games so I can't really recommend anything till mayrio and xenoblade 2.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megas Elekmatos View Post
    I don't know how Hollow Knight's existence escaped me. This looks like a true gem. Thank you good sir.
    You're welcome. It's been praised a lot, and rightfully so. It's also a lot longer than you (or at least I) initially expected, so beware of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say In Awhile translates to this year for me.

Horizon Zero Dawn. Loved the game, loved the way the story unfolded. Can't wait for the new DLC.

Final Fantasy 15. Yes, i am saying that. I really cared for the guys by the end of the game, and the ending is one of the most satisfying sequences I have seen in years.

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana. Currently playing this. Nearly missed it. Completely caught off guard by the nostalgia fest that it is. Playing a retro style RPGs is so refreshing right now, and god damn the music is good. Just plain fun.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Having just binged all of the Legend of Heroes games that are available on Steam over the past two months, I'm obligated to spread awareness!

Best game(s) I've played in two years: The Legend of Heroes series by Nihon Falcom.

Starting in 2004 with the release of the first game, Trails in the Sky First Chapter; the LoH series has provided me with one of THE absolute most interesting worlds and compelling characters to chew on. The world is set in Zemuria, a 19th-20th century western-european like world that just underwent an industrial revolution. 50 years ago, Professor Epstein discovered the power of Orbal energy, which transformed life as we know it: providing electricity to light and heat the home, raising airships into the sky, and even allowing ordinary people to use magic (in the form of a cheap, orbal-powered pocketwatch). This not only changed the daily lives of people, but the political, economic, and ideological structure of the world! With the widespread availability of orbal power, commoners could now challenge nobility and monarchies. Mobilization across an entire continent could occur in only a few days. As a result, the world is now in a massive upheaval, and the protagonist of each LoH game is desperately trying to keep the world from falling apart.

The world of LoH is explored in unparalleled detail: everything from religion to economics to the nuances of local, state, and international politics to idiosyncrasies of each and every NPC in town. No, I'm serious: after a story quest, each and every NPC's personal dialogue (and sometimes, character arc!) is updated, showing you that these people aren't just NPCs who have only one thing to say for their entire lives: they live along with the ever changing world of Zemuria. The characters are amazing too! I will always remember Tita, Zin, Alan, Kurt, Anelace, Olivert, Machias, Jusis, Sara... you really feel like you know them on a personal level. The protagonists are also among my all time favorite game protagonists. In the case of Estelle, she is among my most favorite fictional protagonists period. The strength of the story lies not in it's creativity (there's not much else left in the world of fiction to create), but it's incredible execution; I was invested in the story all the way through, and I stayed up late at night to push through and finish each game just to see what happened next.

Gameplay wise, the Legend of Heroes series is a turn based JRPG with a heavy focus on positioning tactics, as you will want to line up enemies for line-shaped AoE attacks, keep your guys together for AoE buffs, or spread them out to avoid chaining/AoE attacks. Furthermore, each turn in battle can give the character on that turn a special buff (or in some cases, a debuff) like a critical hit, a bonus to strength, some health healed, etc. Manipulating turn order using turn-delaying crafts, arts that speed up your characters or slow down your enemies, etc, so that your characters get the buffs instead of your enemies is important.
    Second, character builds are handled rather interestingly in this series. You slot in quartz, crystals that are of elemental alignments (fire, water, earth, wind, space, time, mirage) and give you stat boosts (like 15% damage boost, or 20% evade chance, 20% HP boost, etc). Stacking different elements of quartz will give you access to different types of arts (spells). This makes building your characters a balancing act between slotting in quartz for the stats you want and stacking elemental quartz for the arts you need.

Additionally, each character has their own unique set of abilities called crafts. Eachtime you attack an enemy or take damage, that character gains command points (CP). You can then use that CP to use a craft. If you cap out your CP, you can use that character's ultimate craft.
    Cold Steel has the more sophisticated combat system of the two. The game introduces Master Quartz. A master quartz will SIGNIFICANTLY alter a character's playstyle, by 1. changing that character's entire stat balance, 2. giving that character access to different arts, and 3. each Master Quartz has a unique special effect. For example, the starter master quartz* Force (fire element) will give you a lot of CP whenever you kill an enemy, effectively making that character a craft spammer. Another master quartz called Falco will give a character a significant boost to their evasion stat, making that character a dodge tank if you stack evasion quartz. Another example is Criminal, which gives the user access to a wide array of fire arts, makes them always crit, and halves the turn delay when casting a fire art. A final example of the gameplay changing nature of master quartz would be *Tauros, which multiplies the damage you deal by 150%, but increases your turn delay by 1.5.
    TitS' gameplay is the same party based combat all the way through. ToCS introduces some a brand new battle system (while also retaining the party based system) near the end of the game, and is retained and improved upon in the sequels.

In case you are not convinced yet: