Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Trump: "You could ask General Kelly, did he get a call from Obama?"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...is-son-n811446

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Tuesday defended his false claim that his predecessor didn't call the families of soldiers killed in action by alluding to former Gen. John Kelly's son, a Marine who died in Afghanistan.

"You could ask General Kelly, Did he get a call from Obama?" Trump said in a radio interview with Fox News' Brian Kilmeade.

Kelly, who came on as Trump's chief of staff in July, does not often speak about the son he lost in 2010. 1st Lt. Robert Michael Kelly, 29, was killed in combat in Afghanistan after stepping on a landmine.

"I don't know what Obama's policy was. I write letters and I also call," Trump said, adding he has called "virtually everybody" during his past nine months as commander in chief.

Trump's comments Tuesday come a day after he falsely claimed that President Barack Obama did not call the families of soldiers killed in action after being asked why he had not yet addressed the deaths of American troops killed in Niger earlier this month.

When pressed by NBC News on how he could make that claim, Trump said he was told that Obama "didn't often" call families of fallen soldiers.

"President Obama, I think, probably did sometimes, and maybe sometimes he didn't. I don't know. That's what I was told. All I can do — all I can do is ask my generals," he said.

According to a 2011 profile in The Boston Globe, Kelly has avoided speaking publicly about his son so as not to draw attention.

"We are not inclined to make ourselves out to be any different, just because I’m a lieutenant general in the Marines," Kelly said then. "We are just one family. It's not worse for us; it's not easier for us."

A White House official told NBC News on Tuesday that Obama did not call Kelly after the death of his son. But a person familiar with the breakfast for Gold Star Families at the White House on May 30, 2011, told NBC News that Kelly and his wife attended the private event and were seated at first lady Michelle Obama’s table.

A former senior Obama administration official disputed Trump's initial claim on Monday that Obama didn't call Gold Star families, calling it "wrong."

"President Obama engaged families of the fallen and wounded warriors throughout his presidency through calls, letters, visits to Section 60 at Arlington, visits to Walter Reed, visits to Dover, and regular meetings with Gold Star Families at the White House and across the country," the ex-official told NBC.

Trump said Tuesday that he had to allow a little time to pass but he "will be calling, have called, and will be calling the parents and loved ones, wives of the soldiers that recently were killed."

The White House said later that the president was scheduled to call the families of the four soldiers killed in Niger on Tuesday.
    Worth noting that Kelly has generally kept quiet about his sons death.

In case anyone thought Trump has an ounce of care and concern for others and the faintest hint of common decency.

Caught in a lie and backpedalling fast enough to give him a spot for a DB position in the NFL. After his press conference where he flat out lied about former presidents, it's incredible to see how much lower the GOP is going to let him drag down the office before they decide to speak up, much less take action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny part is that Trump hasn't called anyone, he just said Obama never did and that he (Trump) likes phone calls. Most he's reportedly done is sign some letters of condolences.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Funny part is that Trump hasn't called anyone, he just said Obama never did and that he (Trump) likes phone calls. Most he's reportedly done is sign some letters of condolences.
    How dare you sir how dare you, don't you know the real victim of this Donald Trump, he has to make all these tough calls not those families who lost someone. Seriously though when Trump attacked a gold star family during the campaign it made it pretty darn clear that this man was a piece of shit.

There's going to be a 12 part Ken Burns documentary one day one "Donald Trump: Fundamentally, a Bad Person".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    There's going to be a 12 part Ken Burns documentary one day one "Donald Trump: Fundamentally, a Bad Person".
    Simpsons did it...

(Yes, been playing Fractured but Whole.)
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

He loves his generals, especially when he can make their dead kids into a convenient shield against criticism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumb Motherfucker
    "President Obama, I think, probably did sometimes, and maybe sometimes he didn't. I don't know. That's what I was told. All I can do — all I can do is ask my generals,"
    If you don't know, you probably shouldn't announce it as if it was verified fact. Trump should have known better than to make up shit in front of NBC after threatening NBC's license. Which, turns out, he can't even do.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He loves his generals, especially when he can make their dead kids into a convenient shield against criticism.
    It speaks to General Kelly's profound patriotism he doesn't break the President's jaw and quit on the spot.

It speaks to General Kelly's profound patriotism he doesn't break the President's jaw and quit on the spot.
    If he does, I really hope it's in public so that we can gif-ify the hell outta it and make the dankest memes.

But seriously, if Kelly remains professional and continues on after this he'll be an infinitely better man than I could ever hope to be. He already is, but this just widens that gap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not that I condone violence, but, if you're the SS agent on duty and this happens, what do you do? I'm fairly sure morale is low enough that it's not a simple question anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ouch...

/10 char

Deleted
    Yea, right after the "Robert Mueller and how the Justice League were nothing but a bunch of cartoon characters (though is some peoples minds they were real, just like Russian Collusion)"

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Yea, right after the "Robert Mueller and how the Justice League were nothing but a bunch of cartoon characters (though is some peoples minds they were real, just like Russian Collusion)"
    Thank you for the quote I'm going to make you choke on, kiddo. lmao.

Oh and by the way, your President is going down for obstruction of justice, not collusion. His lackeys will go down for collusion. The Feds will go for the easier-to-prove charge for "Daddy Trump".

The fact he thinks that an excuse, especially that one are somehow intelligent courses of action, continues to make me fear what this man will do eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I don't know what Obama's policy was."
    All that needs to be said about this......or really anything about this administration.

What a fucking piece of shit. He is absolute fucking scum.

Come on, Mueller, get this shit out of the White House.

Scum has a habit of floating to the top.

Confirmed Obama never called Kelly after his son died.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Confirmed where? Link would be appreciated.

Edit: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...017-story.html

Seeing now. Forgive me if I don't entirely trust the word of the current administration, but as long as he reached out in some form (call/writing etc.) that's good enough for me. Also, Kelly did attend the Gold Star family lunch.

Then again, here we have Trump making shit up that he doesn't know one way or another and then hoping he's right, and continuing to engage in blame games to try to shirk any responsibility or criticism for his own actions.

Which isn't remotely new or surprising.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-10-17 at 11:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Kelly is a professional to his core as well as, by all accounts, a family man. He's not going to drag his son's memory into a political scuffle to score points, regardless of the actual event without some significant compulsion to do so.