Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    TL;DR Activision just patented a system for Destiny 2 which matches you against players better than you, to motivate you into buying shortcuts with real money.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...-items-w509288

This seems almost illegal. If not illegal, highly immoral. It targets what potentially is children with underhanded sales tactics. Not only that, but it will intentionally make an unfair match to do so.
    What shortcuts? The gear you can buy in destiny starts at level 10, its purely cosmetic. I am not fan of systems like this, but it wouldn't drive anyone to buy anything as there is nothing to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Not sure I understand how this would work. 50% of the time YOU are the player who is matched against someone better, and 50% of the time YOU are the better player that someone got matched against? It's impossible to always match everyone against better players, because then those "better players" would be matched against weaker players.
    And 0% of the time you'll actually get a fair, fun match. That's the main problem I see. It has little to do with the actual micro-transactions and everything to do with intentionally making a game un-fun to make you buy something, then unfairly handing you a win to justify your purchase. You literally pay to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Illegal? Lol it's a game.
    Just because a business practice is applied to a video game does not automatically make it legal.

I really want some legislation to be created for these god-awful gambling mechanics. I know the US never will, but the EU might, at some point. I can only hope.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    Easy solution: don't play p2w games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    You don't want to play that game only because it relies on your pocket instead of your skill? Don't buy it.
    Words to live by, imo.

Absolute fucking bullshit.

Loot Boxes will be the death of this industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Seeing how they are making billions off them, Its unlikely its the death of it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

People were expecting destiny to be anything but a steaming pile of garbage?

nah unlikely anything will happen but if your idea of it dying did happen it would simply mean games become only for the rich, the poor are simply left to be farmed like shitters or quit.

Deleted
    It's nothing new that Activision is an absolute scumbag company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Seeing how they are making billions off them, Its unlikely its the death of it.
    I'm wishing that at some point people realize this scam and stop buying into it. Or that lawmakers wake up and label it properly as gambling.

But as long as either of those don't happen, I'll just keep away from any game with a loot box in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I really don't get the outrage. It's basically using top players as a way to showcase the value of their product, and ensuring the customer feels the value in that purchase.

Would it potentially incentivize more purchases? Sure. So what? People are buying more stuff they want to have, and enjoying what they buy. That's not a "bad thing". Nothing in there suggested they were going to be creating unbalanced matches, which is the only way I'd see this as being "bad", since that would create lower win rates for non-paying customers on purpose.
    It’s underhanded, scummy.
    So what? It intentionally matches you with people you wouldn’t otherwise be matched with, solely for the purpose of incentivizing you into purchasing power in a game with real money. As another poster put it “You’ll be an ant to get stomped my gods” just so you’ll want to use real money to not get stomped by them anymore.

I'm wishing that at some point people realize this scam and stop buying into it. Or that lawmakers wake up and label it properly as gambling.

But as long as either of those don't happen, I'll just keep away from any game with a loot box in it.
    The vast majority of consumers is casual and therefore give no fucks.

Same kinda apply's to all markets really. They don't care that 3rd world country's make there shoes and the ones here give no fuck's about MT's. That just how it is, I see no point in getting mad about MT's and stuff alike anymore.

Its here to stay, so people like you or me ether roll with it or just don't buy the products.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    But if the weapon IS highly effective in that map or whatever, what’s the big deal again?
    Manipulation? If you played a game (say HoTS or LoL) and every match you were put into was either used to motivate you to buy a new hero or temporarily showing off the hero you just purchased, would that be okay?

So, you buy this niche hero that you're alright with, the first 5 games you play are against a comp that is weak against this specific hero and then after that, you get demolished every single game. That's good?

Or you don't buy heroes and you lose every single game until you buy one and get the aforementioned reward, then circle back to square one.
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

Deleted

It won’t be because ignorant people throw their money at it like ignorant people throw money at gambling. Best thing we could ever hope for is age restrictions, IF governments EVER get around to noticing this. Unlikely they will, because they’re in the pockets of these companies.

You don't get better weapons or armor from " loot boxes ", what kind of dumb shot is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

How? All they give you is vanity items, they don't reward you with anything of significance.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    You don't get better weapons or armor from " loot boxes ", what kind of dumb shot is this?
    Have you seen Battlefront 2?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xero5141 View Post
    Manipulation? If you played a game (say HoTS or LoL) and every match you were put into was either used to motivate you to buy a new hero or temporarily showing off the hero you just purchased, would that be okay?

So, you buy this niche hero that you're alright with, the first 5 games you play are against a comp that is weak against this specific hero and then after that, you get demolished every single game. That's good?

Or you don't buy heroes and you lose every single game until you buy one and get the aforementioned reward, then circle back to square one.
    Something like that isn’t needed in HotS. When there’s is a new hero, people but them and you will face them constantly when they’re new. The front page also shows the new hero both out of the game and in the game.

You can’t compare it to this, which will want you to buy gear for power. It prais you with and against people who have stuff you don’t and they’re owning everyone with it, so that you’ll be pushed into an impulse purchase to gain the same power.
    Which also really diminishes getting that gear without real money.

That’s how it matches you. If HotS matched me to get stomped to make me buy power, which you can’t, it’d be pretty fucked up.

how can they patent something like that lol

our matchmaking is bad and doesn't even try to make even matches, patented! do not steal

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    It’s underhanded, scummy.
    So what? It intentionally matches you with people you wouldn’t otherwise be matched with, solely for the purpose of incentivizing you into purchasing power in a game with real money. As another poster put it “You’ll be an ant to get stomped my gods” just so you’ll want to use real money to not get stomped by them anymore.
    You can't buy power in the game, they only give you vanity items. All this fake outrage over something that isn't happening is hilarious.