Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I am sure there is a difference in 'gaming' and going full e-Sports....
    You don't need X299 and HEDT for anything really, especially not with Coffee Lake coming up, which will make it even more pointless.

People really overspec a shitton for no reason and end up using maybe 20-30% of what they got, if that.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, if you are heavy e-personality or youtuber/twitch guy with a ton of videos, then yes, it is good, but chances are you are not and then it's just a waste. If you do some occasional video here and there you don't need HEDT CPU.

And even that reason as mentioned is about to disappear anyway with Intel I7s going 6/12 c/t baseline and Ryzen around too.

Since you are going 1440p, invest in a 1080 ti and build around that, right now games still dont use a lot of cores and still loves raw speed, so a 7700k can last you a few years however, due to AMD putting pressure on Intel to make more cores mainstream, it could also effect how developers are going to make games in the future. so 4/4 cores/threads of the 7700k might not last you that long but I got a feeling that it will last at least 2 years if not more(but in some games like BF1 its already being stressed 90-99% and example a Ryzen 1700x is around 50-60%, a lot more margin there ).
    If you aren't in a rush you can wait for the 8700k, it is out but it is rushed, so no units are available yet, and you are more likely pay more for the motherboard.

Since you are going to overclock (watercooler and all) pick a 6 to 8 core cpu, K version if you refuse to buy a AMD setup, which is far cheaper and their AM4 socket will be supported for a longer time so you can end up with a beter system over the years then a Intel setup which so far, requires a new motherboard every damn refresh or generation. I don't believe what you choose now will net you the best price / performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    What ? 6TB is nothing these days. A few 4k movies and BL 1080p rips and the 6TB are full ^^.
    Save the money, get a proper internet connection, and stream them.

Really though, a 4k is what 300gb. How many movies are so good at 4k as to be worth putting on a harddrive anyway? Unless you are using your PC as a full on media center and stacking all of your movies on it, what is the point. Watching a 4k movie on a 27" screen? hardware manufacturers love you.

I have 800 hours, thats over a month of music. Most of it is at 320 or more and I can barely tell the difference between the ones at 320 and the ones that are uncompressed FLAAC. 6874 tracks, it takes 78GB of space.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2017-10-18 at 11:30 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Since you are going 1440p, invest in a 1080 ti and build around that, right now games still dont use a lot of cores and still loves raw speed, so a 7700k can last you a few years however, due to AMD putting pressure on Intel to make more cores mainstream, it could also effect how developers are going to make games in the future. so 4/4 cores/threads of the 7700k might not last you that long but I got a feeling that it will last at least 2 years if not more(but in some games like BF1 its already being stressed 90-99% and example a Ryzen 1700x is around 50-60%, a lot more margin there ).
    If you aren't in a rush you can wait for the 8700k, it is out but it is rushed, so no units are available yet, and you are more likely pay more for the motherboard.
    I think this is absolutely best advice here, I7-8700k will surely last YEARS (unless you are some sort of ultimate top performance at all costs guy), I7-7700k is likely going to last years too, but that extra 2 cores for free literally is a great safety net for the very unlikely "what if" case where everyone suddenly jumps into making highly threaded stuff as a standard.

I would get some 4TB external HDDs and throw them on my TV and most 4K movies are 50-120GB but 1080p can also be big (8-25GB).
    Oh and most TV show are also 150-200GB but you are right there arent many movies you need on 4k, maybe Guardians 1-2, Mad Max and Avatar.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I think this is absolutely best advice here, I7-8700k will surely last YEARS (unless you are some sort of ultimate top performance at all costs guy), I7-7700k is likely going to last years too, but that extra 2 cores for free literally is a great safety net for the very unlikely "what if" case where everyone suddenly jumps into making highly threaded stuff as a standard.

Thank you so much everyone on the advises.

i think i am going to listen to your advice and wait for I7-8700k while i get other parts in.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gwP6Cy, going to change the case to something less expensive.

Any good looking alternatives out there? gotta look cool tho!

thanks again everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    What ? 6TB is nothing these days. A few 4k movies and BL 1080p rips and the 6TB are full ^^.

Who cares about overheating gaming laptops ?
    Its like using Linux because the Xbox had alot RoD.
    I think that the people who bought them cared when they overheated and died.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Not sure why you are raging here, the VRM issues for EVGA 1080s lineup was very real and well documented, as such I would not suggest EVGA because you may end up picking up a faulty card that was lying in stock from that time.

That's what intelligent people do - learn from mistakes of other unfortunate souls who got their hardware toasted by EVGA 1080.
    Raging - typing in caps, insulting people, yeah, I'm doing that? Lol. Sounds like YOU just don't like opposition and are either not used to it, or can't take it.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by spacebuddha View Post
    why would you spend that much on a full tower case with a single gpu and without water cooling dont get it
    Case is personal preference and he had chosen that case so thats why I didnt swap it. I would in a heart beat personally though.

Btw something to look at, i dont know what pc you have now but check it out ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMFd0aVhVKU

Quote Originally Posted by boomkings View Post

Any good looking alternatives out there? gotta look cool tho!

thanks again everyone!
    Corsair 570x if full tempered glass is your kind of thing. Or one of the phanteks luxe cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Stop equating casual to bad, they're two different things.
    Casual refers to time/effort spent.
    Bad refers to skill.
    Your English isn't casual, it's bad.