Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio9 View Post
    This is just true. The game evolves constantly and adresses the power gap issues. When you specialize into something you can be as impactful as a long term player within a relatively short amount of time.
    Well then perhaps they have changed it since I last played. It still isn't my cup of tea though. Enjoy your game of choice, just don't brand it as the more "mature" game to play or the game for "adults" or for "children who won't cry in their sandbox". I think that is where you went wrong in this thread, somehow equating Eve to be on a higher playing field in terms of player maturity.

you must have been screwed over badly.
    Not at all. It's more spreadsheet and menu than it is gameplay. By an extremely wide margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    My experience man, not sure where you are coming from. You get wrecked in that game if not from a huge onslaught of guild ships then from some huge one you stumble upon. It addition, I made several points, you only refuted one of them, so even if you are correct, which you are not from my experience, the others still stand. Either way, the game is pretty boring unless you are into maximizing your chi with spreadsheets and trading, which if you are, more power to you.
    My experience and yours are very different, yours is based off of someone who I am guessing has put very little time into it and had no fucking idea what you were doing. All good, not for everyone.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've see tons of Warcraft and even general MMO players try and take the plunge in to Eve and be immediately turned away. Not only is it an apples to car comparison but the initial learning curve is extremely steep and the F2P structure is heavily restrictions and space combat is almost always wildly over-exaggerated in these videos.

It's not impossible to make the transition but after being in the starter corp for close to nine years you tend to see a revolving door of players who say they've come from other MMOs and wanted to check it out.

This ancient meme always gave me a good chuckle though.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-10-18 at 12:38 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    My experience and yours are very different, yours is based off of someone who I am guessing has put very little time into it and had no fucking idea what you were doing. All good, not for everyone.
    So... his experience is that of a new player? Weird, seeing as he was a new player. When a game is really unfriendly to new players, like Eve, people don't like it, because having to invest a shit ton of time into a game before it even becomes fun is really terrible.

I am also 30+ and find EvE extremely boring. I actually played it back in 2007 and it was fun for a while, mainly because it was/is the only Sci-Fi Space Combat MMO out there but the depth always annoyed me. Played it 1-2 years and then never looked back.

Having spreadsheets for optimal range for various things is something I still remember, then the resistance sheets for the various factions you fight against. Way overboard!
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2017-10-18 at 12:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this has.. What to do with WoW?

maybe at least one single person takes a look into it and finds a new passion and gaming experience that is far ahead the stuff he/she knows so far. thats worth a few mins of my time!
    If they do, then they were already considering Eve to begin with...you won't magically 'turn' anyone with this shill act...

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    This always gave me a good chuckle though.
    Need to replace "Gaming" with "Waiting" for increased accuracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    If they do, then they were already considering Eve to begin with...you won't magically 'turn' anyone with this shill act...
    This. Not to mention the people defending the game are very... aggressive about it. Kind of tells you about their little community.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    I'm 31 and EVE has always looked like one of the most boring gaming experiences I've ever seen.
    It is. It's basically financial micromanagement.

I'm 40, tried EVE at 35, found it boring and retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    So... his experience is that of a new player? Weird, seeing as he was a new player. When a game is really unfriendly to new players, like Eve, people don't like it, because having to invest a shit ton of time into a game before it even becomes fun is really terrible.
    Some of his points are just completely wrong, as if based from someone who has not in fact experienced it for themselves or didn't put the effort into looking shit up. EVE is KNOWN to not to hold your hand, going into it thinking otherwise is setting yourself up for failure. It wasn't for him, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    This is true, as I alluded to in one of my points. I didn't feel there was much guidance in game to get me to the point that I could get anything done. I think it is a great game for people that like to micro manage everything and have no issues constantly Alt-tabbing out to fine out how or what to do. Myself though, I prefer the game to lead me into a bit so that I can get more accustomed. That learning curve slide above is accurate from my experience and listen, the overwhelming consensus is that its a very hard game to get into, so I would say you are in the minority.

nah, not into space crap

AKA waiting simulator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    My experience man, not sure where you are coming from. You get wrecked in that game if not from a huge onslaught of guild ships then from some huge one you stumble upon. It addition, I made several points, you only refuted one of them, so even if you are correct, which you are not from my experience, the others still stand. Either way, the game is pretty boring unless you are into maximizing your chi with spreadsheets and trading, which if you are, more power to you.
    When people flame me because of the term "mature" than i'd like to relate to this. The "mature" part here actually is that you do not have to play the game and be "powerful" or "winning". You can also just relax, work your way up slowly over time, gather some wealth, get to own some shiny super expensive ships, build social relationships and be part of something bigger than yourself. See you can even see this game even as an retirement center for old gamers that just want to chill (it can be, doesn't have to be though. its up to you how you play and see it). I know people who do nothing else than sit in giant industrial capital ships in asteroid belts, minesome ore = money and chat on voice comms or ingame. And shittalk on reddit of course, cheeringa and laughin about the wins, fails and dramas of others.

When people flame me because of the term "mature" than i'd like to relate to this. The "mature" part here actually is that you do not have to play the game and be "powerful" or "winning". You can also just relax, work your way up slowly over time, gather some wealth, get to own some shiny super expensive ships, build social relationships and be part of something bigger than yourself. See you can even see this game even as an retirement center for old gamers that just want to chill (it can be, doesn't have to be though. its up to you how you play and see it). I know people who do nothing else than sit in giant industrial capital ships in asteroid belts, minesome ore = money and chat on voice comms or ingame. And shittalk on reddit of course, cheeringa and laughin about the wins, fails and dramas of others.
    You can apply this to ANY game that requires a lot of work to be UTD, not just Eve. Just...stop fellating the game, please? If anything it's putting people off from playing it by now...

Fair enough, I will concede that I misinterpreted how you meant "mature" and leave it as that. I am happy for you that you enjoy it, its just not for me. Best of luck.

Deleted
    Well you might see things different but personally i find tasks like "Click 10 nuts (stationary) on ground, then click 10 squirreld (moving) on ground" > Yay a legendary!" neither fun nor giving the feeling i did something that matters. But its more than mechanics... i could write and essay here... oh my...
    If you look for something "that matters" in a game..... i repeat.... a G-A-M-E, hey that is up to you. Most adults i know play games to relax for a couple of hours a week.
    I could write so many essays here. Especially on the indirect, "giving orders and watching queues" mechanics that are less interactive gamemechanics and how i wonder people could find that interesting and exciting. I personally find "spreadsheets in space with the chance of losing a whole lot of progress to some dumb events" not really fun or interesting enough.

I know a bit of EvE. And it is totally different from WoW in all aspects. But neither one is for more "mature" players than the other. The same way the games differentiate from each other, their targeted audience does it in the same way. I give you credit for being so enthusiastic about EvE, but generalizing simply doesn't work.... especially not in the way you did it here.