Poll: Do you have a food allergy?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Food Allergies

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    How do people get diagnosed with this issue ? What about those who are borderline?
    IgE and IgG antibody tests.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Celiac disease

No wheat, barley, rye, oats, or malt. Or anything that might have touched any of those, or been prepared in the same space/using the same tools as any of those without thorough cleaning.

So basically I can't safely eat anything produced in restaurants or at fast food chains.
    My son has that - was just diagnosed about a year ago. Little bit tough (to say the least) but very manageable (not taking away from the pain of it though). Just as an aside, Wendy's (if you have them near you) does some decent gluten free baked potato - and then tack on a Frosty and it's pretty freaking good. That's what he does. I happen to love them, too, so I might be biased.

I put non-food allergy. Since I was about 10 when we moved from Colorado to Utah, pretty much as soon as we crossed the border I remember sneezing, and then it started. I was eventually tested for allergies around 12-13, and found I was allergic to every type of grass, and pretty much every tree.

That's the extent of my allergies, but it's really terrible around spring.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Most fresh vegetables and fruits. It's a small allergy, related to birch trees, but it's still there. Nothing dangerous, though.

Then I have every nuts including peanuts, almonds, and hazelnuts. I also used to have soy, although it seems to have vanished away both medically and from experience (though I won't try tofu, that seems like tempting the devil). Oh, and sesame seeds.

Medically speaking, I'm allergic to penicillin, but I think it's the only allergy I have in that domain.

Thankfully, no allergies to dairy, eggs or sea products.

Yes, I eat very well. You learn the tricks and when you can cook, it's mostly about reading the sticker on the food you buy. Plus, with products like sunbutter, we tend to have a lot of variety in our food.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Onion intolerant if someone puts onions on my food after I ask them not to it causes me to smile and want to stab them in the face.

Also bread and milk seem to cause me issues sometimes.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Im lucky in that there's nothing im allergic to food wise. If I ever develop a chocolate allergy though, Im committing suicide through allergic reactions cause Im damn sure not giving it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have none, but when I was three years old, I had an allergic reaction to something and almost died. I've been told it was the red dye in Kool-Aid. I don't even know if that's possible or what, but that's all I've ever been told.

When I was young lamb would make me break out in hives, but now I can eat it without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Then I have every nuts including peanuts, almonds, and hazelnuts.
    Peanuts aren't nuts though, despite the name they're legumes. Strawberries , on the other hand, ARE nuts and not berries. This is quite important to keep in mind as an allergic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Peanuts aren't nuts though, despite the name they're legumes. Strawberries , on the other hand, ARE nuts and not berries. This is quite important to keep in mind as an allergic.
    I took a plants and society course in college. SO many weirdly labeled plants and fruit and nuts...

also, required mention of "Pizza is healthy because tomato is a vegetable" bullshit lol

Speaking of death-by-allergy, I was getting allergy shots for my grass/tree allergies, and had been doing it for 3 YEARS. It's always the same, go in, get the shot, wait 15 minutes, go home. They gradually build up the dosage in the shot, stay at a peak level for a while, and then start over. I was 16, and at the peak level, 3 years in. My dad was with me. We waited the 15 minutes and everything seemed fine. My dad was like, alright, we can go! For some reason I wanted to wait just a couple more minutes. It was weird, because I felt fine. But then within the next minute I was having trouble breathing. We got the doctor, he tested my lung capacity and I failed the test, couldn't do it at all. They laid me down, checked my blood pressure, which was dropping fast. They gave me oxygen. They told my dad to call my mom, they weren't sure I would make it. They gave me two adrenaline shots. And then I started to come out of it.

Anaphylactic shock has no gray area. You either live through it, or you die from it. I was very fortunate to survive that allergic reaction. Needless to say, they won't let me get allergy shots anymore.

So I didn't get to finish my course and while I think my allergies have somewhat been better, they definitely aren't gone. So that's annoying and frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

Technically isn't it the little seeds on strawberries that are nuts? The actual strawberry is still a berry?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    The odd thing here is that I'm not allergic to Strawberries, one of the rare fruit I can safely eat "raw". Peanuts, on the other hand, are mortal.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Technically isn't it the little seeds on strawberries that are nuts? The actual strawberry is still a berry?
    Yes, the little seeds are the nuts, but the actual fruit is a pseudofruit and not a berry. It's quite similar with raspberries, but the seeds are not nuts but stones(?) don't know the english term, i'm no biologist.

Deleted
    I always view them as and casually call them nuts. And I am someone who is "eat them and possibly die"-allergic to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    I always view them as and casually call them nuts. And I am someone who is "eat them and possibly die"-allergic to them.
    I never said there is no peanut allergy, there is, but it's not a nut allergy; someone who is allergic to nuts doesn't have to be allergic to peanuts and vice versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am allergic to willow tress apparantly.

Also, I randomly swell / get red at amusement parks (and 1 time at the airport and 1 time at a football stadium). I can only assume this has somehting to do with a type of fabric that I still cant identify

10+ Year Old Account
    I am allergic to bad food.

10+ Year Old Account
    No allergies.

I am genetically superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I am allergic to willow tress apparantly.

Also, I randomly swell / get red at amusement parks (and 1 time at the airport and 1 time at a football stadium). I can only assume this has somehting to do with a type of fabric that I still cant identify
    Since those are crowded public places, I'd guess it's someone's perfume. Some very specific brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not that I know of. I hate garlic though, so maybe I am a secret vampire. Would explain the sparkles too.