10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I've never really felt hooked by gear grind outside of MMOs. MMOs offer enough variety that the gear grind is just a part of the experience, not the totality of it, and there are a variety of activities available.

I think Diablo is much less appealing in that regard because I really don't care about button mashing a billion times for the luxury of button mashing some more so I can then do more button mashing. Diablo isn't exactly complex with interesting boss battles, imo.
    Yup, add to that that the design on WoWs gear is pretty "meh" since a couple of expansions, and even the "want to play dress-up Draenei" falls flat. ._.

Hilariously this his how I felt when I played EVE online. I make credits just to unlock ways of making more credits just to make even more. In the end there wasn't much to actually DO with your credits. Same in FF-XIV. Not much use for gil.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well I played a shadow priest from 2007 till 2016. So I know what "balance" means in Blizzard terms.
    What really disconnected me from my character and made it easy to walk away (although not completely) were the new Draenei models. Esp the faces and their stupid "comic relief" animations, which are completely out of character.
    MY Draenei no longer exists. Sure I can still play A Draenei but no longer the character I loved for almost 10 years.
    Not sure if that makes sense to you.
    Makes complete sense; I ran into similar with my beloved orcs, who went from resembling the Hulk running around to green-skinned apes...male orcs, at least, so I ended up flipping to female orcs...didn't bother me seeing that femorcs were (even at that point) still fairly rare to see. Not female dwarf rare, but rare enough.

Unrelated note:

In the "I can take a hint" department, ended up taking BRD/MCH chest from Royal City last night. Third boss dropped one, so the only BRD we had need rolled it. Fourth boss dropped 2 of the same chest..."well, ok then, maxed out crit on it...fuck it, I'll roll on those".

Damn that 1 piece of gear per week rule, though. Last week, I was paired with a SCH who had to be at least 335 ilvl already; they had 35k hp and change to my just-over 32k in all 320 gear. They were likely after just the weekly coin or maybe a chance at the TT cards and music rolls. Third boss dropped both healing boots and chest...ended up with the former and the latter hit the floor. Kinda wish greed rolls didn't count against your weekly loot, but that would only lend itself to people exploiting it.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2017-10-18 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yup, add to that that the design on WoWs gear is pretty "meh" since a couple of expansions, and even the "want to play dress-up Draenei" falls flat. ._.
    My hunter and paladin still transmog a mix of Classic and TBC gear. After Wrath, everything looks like it's chiseled from stone and fitted into armor shapes to me. Nothing has the look of leather or metal anymore.

My mage is in BC gear.
    My priestess is in Wrath gear, though.
    I think maybe the rogue is in Cataclysm PvP stuff?

Yeah, WoW's gear hasn't remotely interested in me a long time. There's a lot I look at and think "man, that would look cool on a [Horde race here]" though.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-10-18 at 04:42 PM.

You guys talk about looks and here I am a Warlock just wishing my class doesn't get mechanic overhauls every expansion.

That's basically why I stopped playing on any sort of regular basis. Friends who have quit ages ago or moved onto other games and not enjoying the actual act of playing my character. The character in WoW these days feels like a tool in which you experience the world which can be replaced by anything instead of feeling like "YOUR" character. Does that make sense? rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    You guys talk about looks and here I am a Warlock just wishing my class doesn't get mechanic overhauls every expansion.

That's basically why I stopped playing on any sort of regular basis. Friends who have quit ages ago or moved onto other games and not enjoying the actual act of playing my character. The character in WoW these days feels like a tool in which you experience the world which can be replaced by anything instead of feeling like "YOUR" character. Does that make sense? rofl.
    Having played lock as an alt during MoP, which to me featured the pinnacle of class design for a fair amount of specs...I can somewhat relate. Warriors seem to suffer similar fate with the dps specs almost being completely rewritten with every xpac, and often it's not for the better.

That's one reason why I absolutely love being able to run any job on a single character here. Oh noes, playing BLM on xyz fight is like faceplanting on a pile of thumbtacks? No problem, I'll switch to some other job. Altitis isn't near as punishing to have here as it is in other games.

Do it all on one char is definitely a strength in this game. I do wish there was more side-questing available by different jobs sometimes, but it's a minor quibble given the options we already have.

What data center are you on?
    I used to play on Aether, though now I'm on Chaos!

Yeah, WoW's gear hasn't remotely interested in me a long time. There's a lot I look at and think "man, that would look cool on a [Horde race here]" though.
    Speaking 100% strictly as a Ret Paladin, using only Legion as a reference frame, I quite liked Tier 19. It was very nice looking and well modeled. T20 basically being an HD remodel of T6 gives it points for aesthetics, but negative points for originality.

They also did an absolutely tremendous job modeling the Ashbringer and its various models (pvp sword withstanding, because I dislike it). They also did a great job with the hidden appearance questline (despite it being bugged for a bit, that THANKFULLY didn't affect me), I was even lucky enough to be one of the first few with it on Stormrage.

There's a few out there that look good also, but I still rock the Cata PVP gear because it's one of the most unique looking sets by far.

I actually have 2 wallpapers someone made for me of my wow character. it's the 2 different Tmogs I typically float between.

http://orig08.deviantart.net/5854/f/...na-d8rnepc.png
    http://orig03.deviantart.net/ab96/f/...na-d8rnext.png

Now with that said, There are more gear sets that I like in FF14 for sure. There's also some downright fucking baffling gear decisions.

Speaking strictly 100% as a Paladin:

1) The original AF gear was solid. Everything else prior to that though? Fucking awful.
    2) The original PVP gear was cool being all animal inspired and I love the gold lion look (currently rocking this, with a black robed skirt and excalibur for that Knight Templar look I love).
    2) I didn't care for any of the original raid gear, and even the high allagan coat was only decent looking to me. The Dreadwyrm stuff was really cool looking, but really limiting on color, even still dying it just never looks good.
    3) The Tactics Ogre inspired gear (while not super cool for PLD), was top freaking tier for DRG. In fact so was AF1/2/3 for them.
    4) The AF2 gear in HW for PLD was amazing. Probably my favorite set. I wish I could dye pieces of it separately.
    5) The AF3 gear and sword are amazing looking (I hate that the sword clips the cape that it's designed to be paired with, but I digress).

I haven't been very impressed with the SB gear just yet. There was 1 leveling set I liked, but so far Susano weap/shield was lackluster, shinryu isn't any better, and the raid weapons/gear are pretty downright awful, again for PLD. The 24 man gear is decent, but I need to play with it once I get a few more pieces (got the chest first week thank god!).

On one hand I actually like that they change things up. For me, it keeps the gameplay fresh. On the other hand, losing key things doesn't feel fun at all.

I agree that it's harder to feel connecting to your wow character compared to FF14, but I think that has more to do with cutscenes and emotions and having a last name lol. Just my .08.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Having played lock as an alt during MoP, which to me featured the pinnacle of class design for a fair amount of specs...I can somewhat relate. Warriors seem to suffer similar fate with the dps specs almost being completely rewritten with every xpac, and often it's not for the better.
    Fury was amazing in Legion. It was so much fun to play. Source: Brother, Warrior Main from 2005 ish to present. He'll tell you MoP was the best, but he enjoys Legion considerably. he says Arms is a shell of itself and honestly offensive how boring it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    The character in WoW these days feels like a tool in which you experience the world which can be replaced by anything instead of feeling like "YOUR" character. Does that make sense? rofl.
    Pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Speaking 100% strictly as a Ret Paladin, using only Legion as a reference frame, I quite liked Tier 19. It was very nice looking and well modeled. T20 basically being an HD remodel of T6 gives it points for aesthetics, but negative points for originality.
    Had to look at them. Tier 19 does look pretty good, depending on if you can get the right color version for your tastes (I have no clue which is from where).
    Tier 20 does look pretty good as an update to the BC model. Tier 20 recreates one of the most hideous hunter sets of all time, though, sooooo... Tier 4 is still my favored (but I don't use tier shoulders. For years, I used crafted scorpid shoulders you can kinda see in my banner here. In Legion, I stopped using shoulder armor entirely for the hunter).

Hunters and rogues should have more sleek armor to me. Not large bulky shoulders that would prevent slipping through narrow corridors silently (rogue) or snag every branch in the forest and announce your presence to every creature, animal and humanoid alike (hunter).

They also did an absolutely tremendous job modeling the Ashbringer and its various models (pvp sword withstanding, because I dislike it). They also did a great job with the hidden appearance questline (despite it being bugged for a bit, that THANKFULLY didn't affect me), I was even lucky enough to be one of the first few with it on Stormrage.
    Except it still looks like a thick bludgeoning weapon with next to no edge more than a sword as depicted in art. Look at all the swords in the past 3 expansions and compare them to anything from Classic WoW and you'll notice how much the Classic swords look like FORGED METAL vs large chunks of rock chiseled into a sword shape with no notable edge to the blade's model. Some look like bludgeoning weapons more than cutting weapons.

I know they're attempting to look like weathered swords with notches from use that have been battered over time, but they just don't look like metal blades to me. If Ashbringer didn't have such storied history in lore, I'd have gone with the fire model to emulate my EverQuest days.

I wish new yukatas and kimonos would get added already. My samurai looks alright in the starter hakama and a blue yukata, but I kind of smirk that I'm carrying around a moogle mask on my belt.

I still think the Creation Tomestone and Omega gear should have been swapped in terms of which fits visually to the content better/logically. And the Omega gear? Dragoon and Samurai were accidentally swapped, I swear.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-10-18 at 07:54 PM.

Right unlocking all the stuff again on my alt.

Can someone remind me if all of Coil has to be done to unlock the next wing or just the last floor? So 5 and 9 etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Small world when attempting to find new glamour ideas. @Kazela

Finally done with the mindless leveling, time to finally pla-- oh wait, I forgot I'm a loner.
    At the very least I have my gardening and queue shenanigans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

Can someone remind me if all of Coil has to be done to unlock the next wing or just the last floor? So 5 and 9 etc?
    I believe it's the last turn only, if my memory serves me well. Let me have a quick check--- Seems like it since I have T9 unlocked. Might be because my memory is filing, but I believe all unlocks after you complete the last turn of the tier, which is 5 (to unlock 6-9) and 9 (likewise 10-13).
    But then again, never done past T8, having troubles with T9 and none want to join me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I used to play on Aether, though now I'm on Chaos!
    Whom bribed you to make such a torturing decision? Was it Elidibus who promised you the fall of Hydaelyn? The Lalas on Aether chanting a curse which could only be removed by the Spanish Lala-inquisition here on Chaos? Or was it maybe the Fr---------

Except it still looks like a thick bludgeoning weapon with next to no edge more than a sword as depicted in art. Look at all the swords in the past 3 expansions and compare them to anything from Classic WoW and you'll notice how much the Classic swords look like FORGED METAL vs large chunks of rock chiseled into a sword shape with no notable edge to the blade's model. Some look like bludgeoning weapons more than cutting weapons.

I know they're attempting to look like weathered swords with notches from use that have been battered over time, but they just don't look like metal blades to me. If Ashbringer didn't have such storied history in lore, I'd have gone with the fire model to emulate my EverQuest days.
    I get where you are coming from. I see a lot of 3d modeled weapons that suffer from this. I've even seen them in FF14, but I think the cartoony art style actually exacerbates the issue considerably more than the anime style of FF14.

I use the fire model on my yellow set (with the yellow color), and the blue broken ashbringer with lightning on my blue set.

Everything else I agree with.

On one hand I actually like that they change things up. For me, it keeps the gameplay fresh. On the other hand, losing key things doesn't feel fun at all.

I agree that it's harder to feel connecting to your wow character compared to FF14, but I think that has more to do with cutscenes and emotions and having a last name lol. Just my .08.
    Oh I love that they change stuff too because otherwise it would become stale. The thing is most classes still retain the "CORE" even after changes. For example Ret Paladin is different from previous expansions but the changes are gradual instead of huge sweeping changes. The changes Warlocks get every expansion are close to the level that Survival got in Legion. Granted I could go play Destruction which is the one Warlock spec that is fundamentally the same since forever... but I'd rather watch water drip from a faucet.

Oh well whatever, I quit playing my Warlock and switched to a Ret Paladin and Mage in Legion whenever I resub and play for two weeks rofl.

edit; this whole weapon talk, I love how WoW swords and axes feel like a real 3D model compared to FF14 were a lot of swords and axes look like flat pieces of paper rofl.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-10-18 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshomaru View Post
    Whom bribed you to make such a torturing decision? Was it Elidibus who promised you the fall of Hydaelyn? The Lalas on Aether chanting a curse which could only be removed by the Spanish Lala-inquisition here on Chaos? Or was it maybe the Fr---------
    Balmung just wasn't a good fit for me.

There's a few out there that look good also, but I still rock the Cata PVP gear because it's one of the most unique looking sets by far.

I actually have 2 wallpapers someone made for me of my wow character. it's the 2 different Tmogs I typically float between.

http://orig08.deviantart.net/5854/f/...na-d8rnepc.png
    http://orig03.deviantart.net/ab96/f/...na-d8rnext.png

Now with that said, There are more gear sets that I like in FF14 for sure. There's also some downright fucking baffling gear decisions.

Speaking strictly 100% as a Paladin:

1) The original AF gear was solid. Everything else prior to that though? Fucking awful.
    2) The original PVP gear was cool being all animal inspired and I love the gold lion look (currently rocking this, with a black robed skirt and excalibur for that Knight Templar look I love).
    2) I didn't care for any of the original raid gear, and even the high allagan coat was only decent looking to me. The Dreadwyrm stuff was really cool looking, but really limiting on color, even still dying it just never looks good.
    3) The Tactics Ogre inspired gear (while not super cool for PLD), was top freaking tier for DRG. In fact so was AF1/2/3 for them.
    4) The AF2 gear in HW for PLD was amazing. Probably my favorite set. I wish I could dye pieces of it separately.
    5) The AF3 gear and sword are amazing looking (I hate that the sword clips the cape that it's designed to be paired with, but I digress).

I haven't been very impressed with the SB gear just yet. There was 1 leveling set I liked, but so far Susano weap/shield was lackluster, shinryu isn't any better, and the raid weapons/gear are pretty downright awful, again for PLD. The 24 man gear is decent, but I need to play with it once I get a few more pieces (got the chest first week thank god!).

Fury was amazing in Legion. It was so much fun to play. Source: Brother, Warrior Main from 2005 ish to present. He'll tell you MoP was the best, but he enjoys Legion considerably. he says Arms is a shell of itself and honestly offensive how boring it is.
    IIRC, my last paladin transmog was basically the T..13? Whatever the one was from Dragon Soul, with helm hidden (cause it looked hilarious and I wanted to show off the short anime hair) and Lionheart Executioner.

I just want the ability to have glamours set per job instead of having to share the same looking gear across 3 tank jobs...really only an issue for folks like me who have multiple/all jobs of the same role/type leveled. First world problems or such. I would like the SB pvp set for tanks, but all the bowties on it make me wonder if it was meant to be a caster glam at one point, lol.

Warrior, at least for dps, was sooooo good in MoP that it's almost criminal how awful it became when WoD rolled around...especially my beloved Arms. It was like GLA level boredom where you hit 3-4 buttons tops. MoP Fury was as fun to me as the relatively braindead simple but vicious TBC Fury, namely because dual wielding 1 handers was viable (although BiS was 2 of the Corrupted Gorehowls...forgot it's name).

- - - Updated - - -

*Should* only need to do T5 to unlock Second and T9 to unlock Final. I can't confirm it, because my FC and I went through all of them just to see/experience them. The quests are tied to completing those two specific turns, though, so for the sake of time, you should be able to do just those.

Don't skip T12 if you have a liking for lore, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshomaru View Post
    Small world when attempting to find new glamour ideas. @Kazela
    Yup, that's me; I've posted a few of my current glamours there as of recently. They are rather lazily cobbled together, though...I say that because most of them are Makai stuff + new SB pvp chest pieces. But who cares, so long as they look decent.

Thanks to the couple of people who answered.

Also @Kazela. Already seen it. Just made an alt (AN ALT ON FF14?!) and unlocking all the stuff.

Thanks to the couple of people who answered.

Also @Kazela. Already seen it. Just made an alt (AN ALT ON FF14?!) and unlocking all the stuff.
    Whoops! I whiffed on that particular detail.

Hunters and rogues should have more sleek armor to me. Not large bulky shoulders that would prevent slipping through narrow corridors silently (rogue) or snag every branch in the forest and announce your presence to every creature, animal and humanoid alike (hunter).
    They do this because the head and shoulders of your character are what you're, mostly, going to see from a third person perspective. They do a good job of making your character pop against more or less every environment and background in the game. I agree that it's jarring and more often than not the shoulder pad design is pretty stupid but there is a method to the madness.

Moving on, I've just made my way through the Royal City. I am slightly disapointed that the leading man wasn't Balthier, but I expect he'll be showing up at some point in the story, especially given how it ended. They also did a pretty solid job with the raid itself, the bosses were varied and interesting, especially the last one who decides to mess up your controls. Just because he can. The Esper fights were pretty cool too, and I'm expecting more of them to show up in the later raids.

It's a bit of a shame we didn't get to spend longer in the Garamscythe Waterway though, I thought it was one of the better areas of FF 12 and although they captured the artstyle of it, they did a poor job in capturing it's theme. Hoping they add in some of the other amazing FF 12 locations like the Great Crystal and some of the Galtean inspired tombs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see they decided to re-use same annoying halloween dungeon. Luckily one run was enough to get the poster I wanted.