Poll: Do you have a food allergy?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Food Allergies

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Not that I know of. I hate garlic though, so maybe I am a secret vampire. Would explain the sparkles too.
    haha! But how can you hate garlic? I love garlic... on my food not my breath though.

I ate brussel sprouts once and family event and my lips got super swollen, but I've never been able to figure out what caused it. I've had brussel sprouts since with no adverse affects.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mild lactose for me.

Lactose intolerance isn't an allergy. It doesn't trigger an immune response that is common with actual allergies. All it is, is that you do not have enough lactase to digest lactose, so it ends up fermenting in your intestines, causing bloating and diarrhea.

I myself am lactose intolerant, but I am also allergic to cashew nuts. I'm fine with peanuts, and other nuts, but cashews cause (at least last time) a reaction just shy of full anaphylaxis. Also been properly allergy tested and the doctor was surprised how much I reacted to cashews, so I got myself a prescription for some epi pens.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Lactose intolerance isn't an allergy. It doesn't trigger an immune response that is common with actual allergies. All it is, is that you do not have enough lactase to digest lactose, so it ends up fermenting in your intestines, causing bloating and diarrhea.

I myself am lactose intolerant, but I am also allergic to cashew nuts. I'm fine with peanuts, and other nuts, but cashews cause (at least last time) a reaction just shy of full anaphylaxis. Also been properly allergy tested and the doctor was surprised how much I reacted to cashews, so I got myself a prescription for some epi pens.
    that sucks Cashews are my favorite... then probably pistachios.

None, which is a thing I'm very much thankful of.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

I am allergic to goat's milk and therefore anything made with goat's milk. I have to be very careful when buying imported chocolates or I receive them as a gift, the last 2 times I had an allergic reaction was to chocolate I didn't know had goat's milk in it, and it was pretty bad, bad enough that one of those led to an ER trip and an overnight stay to make sure I was stable, and that was after eating a part of a slice of cake that had been made with chocolate with goat's milk in it. So now I have to ask about it whenever I'd like to have anything made with chocolate or cheese and I'm not sure of it's origin.

I used to have a pork allergy, but I found out it went away by eating it by accident. I have pork on a semi-regular basis now.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I am allergic to willow tress apparantly.

Also, I randomly swell / get red at amusement parks (and 1 time at the airport and 1 time at a football stadium). I can only assume this has somehting to do with a type of fabric that I still cant identify

This is definitely a fragrance allergy, I had the same problem for years until I found out I was allergic to CKOne by a perfume saleswoman directly spraying me in the face with it, which led to me going to the hospital as almost immediately I couldn't breathe and I went into anaphylactic shock. I then went to an allergist who tested me with each of the fragrance ingredients, and weirdly enough I showed no reaction to any of them, it's only when she began to mix them together and test me did I show a reaction, and a big enough one that she had to treat me right then and there with antihistamines.

Since then, I've had a few "reddenings" in public which I think were from either coming close to someone with CKOne on, or from fabric softeners/febreeze/detergents/colognes/perfumes that used a one or even a couple of the ingredient combos I am allergic to. Heck, one time I got even got hives from a car freshener in a cab, it was a knock off of, you guessed it, CKOne.

Fragrance allergies suck, and they suck a lot because you can't control who you're going to run into in public, or what's used to clean/freshen public spaces.
    Last edited by undeadmoon; 2017-10-18 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    Yes - I have an extreme allergy to shellfish, inherited from my mom. We have to take great care to ensure we avoid it because it;s so severe.

Last year I bought some supermarket premade fish in parsley sauce (we are fine with fish of all kinds). I forgot to check the ingredient list until it was almost too late. Right at the bottom of the ingredients was "fish stock" and the smallest ingredient in that was "mussels". We'd eaten less than a teaspoon of the food, so the amounts of mussel would have been absolutely microscopic: but it was enough to make us sick. Thankfully I remembered to check before we'd eaten too much or we'd have been really sick. Like hospitalisation sick.

It is a true allergy: our bodies react to shellfish as they would to a harmful pathogen like th eones that cause food poisoning. The vomitting and diarrhea come on pretty fast. The only difference is that mom gets hives and lumps, whereas I get more vomitting.

Coeliac and lactose intolerance aren't allergies. An allergy is when your immune system mistakenly targets a harmless substance as a dangerous invaders and reacts accordingly.

An intolerance is when you can't properly digest something like lactose. Allergy reactions are usually more extreme, and can be life-threatening if you go into anaphylactic shock as your immune system over-reacts and launches every available weapon it's got, which can resu;t in such severe throat swelling and airway constriction that you cannot breathe.

Shellfish is a relativelt common allergy, and fairly easy to avoid. But it tends to mean that we avoid Japanese/Thai type food on principle, because they use so much seafood and even a minor ingredient is enough. Probably even eating somethin gmade in apan previously used to cook shelffish would be enough.

My first questions in a retaurant are:

Does this constain shellfish?
    Was this made in an area where shellfish are prepared?
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-10-18 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellarielle View Post
    that sucks Cashews are my favorite... then probably pistachios.
    I'm probably mildly allergic to pistachios too! I remember eating them when I was younger, then feeling really ill afterwards. The hospital I went to didn't have any pistachio solution to test for allergies on me, so I just steer clear instead.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah thanks for the info undeadmoon and Linadra!

Sucks I can't control it but at least it's not severe. Just annoying, especially when my hand swells and I have to take my ring off before it becomes trapped

Deleted
    Not a food allergy, but I have a truly extreme reaction to grass pollen. They did the allergen test in hospital (where they put drops of stuff on your arm, make a tiny scratch, and wait to see the reaction; they press a transparency with circles to measure the lumps lol)....my whole arm swelled out and they had to plater it with antihistamin cream and bandages.

So mom got worried when I came out of the consultant's room with my arm covered in bandages. I was about 10 I think. The consultant says "never seen someone react like that..."

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Coconut, actually. I get the skitters if I eat / drink products with it or a mild rash if I get any product on my skin.

Nothing serious, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    gluten will make your dick fly off.
    Good thing I don't have one.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

I get phlegm in my throat after eating bread, but I don't think that's an allergy; otherwise nothing that I know of.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    medical iodine, and a mild grass allergy.

iodine is the worst. if it gets in my blood in any concentration(like say, mom putting it on a cut when I was little.) it feels like my blood is itchy and on fire. grass just makes anywhere it touched itchy for about an hour.

no food ones though.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    The scent of rum extract as it's baking sends me in to sneezing fits.

Deleted
    I don't have any. It's because when I was a kid I'd always roll in the dirt.

Nuts - so far i know that I am allergic to walnuts, cashews and penuts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since my allergy pass contains a tons of entries it is often quite difficult to just circumvent allergies. Usually taking an anti-allergic helps, some things like hazelnuts I strictly avoid. It's all about knowing the levels of what you can take, similarly to lactose intolerance.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean if it makes gluten-free products more marketable and thus makes it more likely that stores will dedicate shelf space for them, you should be thankful. Is it completely stupid? Yes, yes it is. But the people with Celiac profit from it. I doubt I would dedicate shelf space for gluten free snacks just to cover the tiny number of people who have Celiac otherwise and if you can only find it on specialty stores, you know the price will be significantly higher
    The issue is that people doing it as a fad diet have a bad habit of using Celiac as an excuse for their choice, so it makes a boy who cried wolf scenario. I've met one or two people who think being celiac is just being petty, and in those cases it tends to be a matter of time until someone gets rushed to the hospital with the reaction from it, the restaurant is staring down a malicious contamination lawsuit and the hammer of the various bureaus and departments responsible for it, and depending on how willingly said server disregarded the allergy alert, possibly an attempted murder charge. It doesn't help Celiac awareness is a newish thing (hence it being a fad).

Granted, I don't speak from experience, but the incident was a friend-of-a-friend sorta thing that almost happened when a chef turned his nose up at the word celiac, thankfully the manager's head was on better though.

On Topic: I developed a nut allergy about three years ago, I was so furious because I used to adore peanut butter and peanut based candies and food. And now I might be developing a shellfish allergy, which is really upsetting because I love shrimp and crab, though thankfully right now it just gets my nose runny and nothing bad with my breathing. It's miserable that new fatal allergies can develop at random
    Last edited by Veluren; 2017-10-19 at 08:32 AM.