Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fajita-gate! (Only in Texas...)

http://www.wfaa.com/news/south-texas...beef/484240457

BROWNSVILLE - A South Texas county employee was arrested after allegedly stealing a large sum of money, not to buy diamonds or drugs, but beef fajita.

It may sound ridiculous but how can someone get away with over a million dollars’ worth of fajita? Authorities say a juvenile detention center employee was somehow cooking the books for 10 years... Talk about over-done steak!

The KENS 5 Border Team followed the smell of this sizzling story all the way to the Cameron County District Attorney’s Office to ‘meat’ with ‘top chef’ Luis Saenz about “Fajitagate”.

After all, it’s his office that will be doing all the ‘grilling’.

Saenz said that in the course of nine years, Gilberto Escamilla, the head cook of the Cameron County Juvenile Detention Center, used county funds to buy a total of about 180,000 lbs. of the Tex-Mex beef skirt. That’s the total weight of about 90 - 2,000 pounds cows.

With an average price of $7 per pound of fajita, Escamilla is accused of spending,“$1,250,000” Saenz said. “He would ask the driver of the vendor company to call him when they were on their way to deliver the fajita so that he, himself, would take delivery.”

The detention center staff blew Escamilla’s cover in early August when he left the building for a doctor’s appointment and another employee answered the vendor’s call to deliver the meat.

The problem is beef fajita is not part of the official lunch menu.

The District Attorney said Escamilla would sell the fajita to restaurants for profit. If so, how could it be overlooked for so long?

“The investigation has also uncovered that the auditor was pretty negligent in her protocols and in checking,” revealed Saenz.

The KENS 5 Border Team paid a visit to the Cameron County’s Auditor’s Office and were soon turned away without comment.

What’s most upsetting to Saenz is that the county is strapped for funds and this kind of news ‘butchers’ the county’s reputation.

“’We’re short $800,000 to run the county.’” Saenz recalled a comment made during the county’s commissioners court. “Well guess what? Guess where the $800,000 is? It just went up in fajitas.”

The District Attorney’s Office isn’t naming the buyers and restaurants the fajita was sold to. Saenz says they don’t believe they will be able to recover any of the meat or the money since it has already been spent. However, the DA isn’t ruling out pursuing restitution.
    Im not sure whats worse, 1.2 mil stolen for fajita to be resold, or the amount of puns in this news story.

That's a lot of puns! That's my only beef with this story.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-10-18 at 09:45 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I had to google fajita. Now I want it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely the puns.

I was less impressed after I read he was selling them rather than eating 1.2 million in fajitas over 9 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I had to google fajita. Now I want it.
    Super easy and cheap to make. The hardest part is deciding corn or flour tortilla.

15+ Year Old Account
    Free that man. He did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Im not sure whats worse, 1.2 mil stolen for fajita to be resold, or the amount of puns in this news story.
    There's someone in Florida reading this and going- Hold my mojito!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Floridaman is reading this and going- Hold my bath salts!
    Ftfy

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I was less impressed after I read he was selling them rather than eating 1.2 million in fajitas over 9 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Super easy and cheap to make. The hardest part is deciding corn or flour tortilla.
    Flour is for breakfast, if you like flour. Corn is best all the time. Flour is too filling and just plain nasty.

People having a cow over the puns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Holy fuck. If we banned everyone that simply posted for attention-whoring purposes half the site would go dark.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Flour is for breakfast, if you like flour. Corn is best all the time. Flour is too filling and just plain nasty.
    Yeah, for me it's a no brainer and to always go corn. But some people like flour.

But once you grill a corn tort and use it you don't go back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like flour for something like a burrito that needs to stay folded.

For Taco, Fajitas, etc corn all the way

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I can't stand corn tortillas >.>, taste like cardboard and go all grainy when you chew them. It's like they're almost soggy or something?
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I can't stand corn tortillas >.>, taste like cardboard and go all grainy when you chew them. It's like they're almost soggy or something?
    Grill them before you serve them, rather than steam. Most places just toss them in the microwave.

Changes the flavor and texture.

Grill them before you serve them, rather than steam. Most places just toss them in the microwave.

Changes the flavor and texture.
    You heat them? I just put stuff in them and ate them out the fridge like the delicious flour counterparts.

I must try this soon.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-10-18 at 11:23 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

You heat them? I just put stuff in them and ate them out the fridge like the delicious flour counterparts.

I must try this soon.
    You definitely want to heat them. Corn is just neat in that it changes flavor and texture when you apply heat to it. You can even just do it in a pan rather than use a grill (simulates a flat top).

Hell, next time, do it with a flour ones. Take 1 to 3, cover them in a wet paper towel, and heat them in the microwave for like 15 seconds. Flour torts are denser so they won't get that mushy mouth feel like you were describing with the corn.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Hard" you mean you don't always just go for corn?

What are you, a pleb?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    "Hard" you mean you don't always just go for corn?

What are you, a pleb?
    You should read the rest of the posts :P

15+ Year Old Account

I must try this soon.
    I can't fathom how you never thought to try this out.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should read the rest of the posts :P
    But I'm le tired.