Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Quebec passes law banning facial coverings in public.

The Canadian province is barring public workers from wearing the niqab or burqa and obliging citizens to unveil while using public transit or government services

The Canadian province of Quebec has passed a sweeping ban on face coverings – barring public workers from wearing the niqab or burqa and obliging citizens to unveil when riding public transit or receiving government services – ushering in a law believed to be the first of its kind in North America.

The legislation was adopted on Wednesday, capping off two years of work by the province’s Liberal government to address the issue of state neutrality. The resulting law has been condemned by critics who say it deliberately targets Muslim women and will fuel the province’s simmering debate on identity, religion and tolerance.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ings-in-public

This is common sense. Public workers faces should be visible. Seems like a lot of places are now banning Full face coverings in the past few years..

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ings-in-public

This is common sense. Public workers faces should be visible. Seems like a lot of places are now banning Full face coverings in the past few years..
    Fear is a helluva drug.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Fear is a helluva drug.
    common sense and basic skills of deduction are as well, though far too rarely used.

this is good. it's good to know that even canada has some sense.

If they wanted to bring their culture that shattered their civilization they should of stayed home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a fairly logical thing imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Makes sense, although the public transit one I don't really care either way. As long as they give you a valid bus ticket who cares.

It's a violation of their First Amendment rights.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    So does this apply to people wearing scarves and face masks to keep warm or specifically targeted at religious head coverings?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's a violation of their First Amendment rights.
    Their what???

@Tennisace, why is Canada so racist towards it's Muslim inhabitants?

[Infracted - Abusing mention feature]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-10-19 at 12:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    common sense and basic skills of deduction are as well, though far too rarely used.

this is good. it's good to know that even canada has some sense.
    Nope. Just fear.

Cowards gonna cower.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    aww, I thought canada was so wonderful and tolerant. Wonder when everyone's favorite posters will be here to play damage control.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Makes sense enough, if I gotta take off my snow ninja mask every time I enter a building. Not like there's anyone who'd abuse something that obscures everything but your eyes for nefarious purposes or anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    Public workers faces should be visible.
    Not that I'm excusing religious and cultural oppression, but...

I'm pretty sure most, if not all of these instances can be a government employee on some level, or at least a "public worker". You can probably find several dozen more examples.

good for them, more and more common sense seems to be coming about!

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Nope. Just fear.

Cowards gonna cower.
    in all things in this world that present a danger to a person, it is considered intelligent to take steps to reduce or remove risk from it. except this one issue. this one, is where all reason is expected to be thrown out.

i am not a fool, i do not intend to ignore the basic threat assessment that any simple beast is capable of.

it's like free handling sea kraits, the first ten might be lovely creatures to share time with. but it only takes one to kill you should it choose to. therefore i know not to take the risk of handling them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Not that I'm excusing religious and cultural oppression, but...

I'm pretty sure most, if not all of these instances can be a government employee on some level, or at least a "public worker". You can probably find several dozen more examples.
    Insert epic picard facepalm here.

How will Quebec police infiltrate the Black Bloc now?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/quebec...otest-1.656171

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    in all things in this world that present a danger to a person, it is considered intelligent to take steps to reduce or remove risk from it. except this one issue. this one, is where all reason is expected to be thrown out.

i am not a fool, i do not intend to ignore the basic threat assessment that any simple beast is capable of.

it's like free handling sea kraits, the first ten might be lovely creatures to share time with. but it only takes one to kill you should it choose to. therefore i know not to take the risk of handling them in the first place.
    Ok so ban all old white men from Vegas it only takes one to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    So does this apply to people wearing scarves and face masks to keep warm or specifically targeted at religious head coverings?
    Both, as it should be. Otherwise it would be gross discrimination IMO.

And the people taking this as a grand victory on dem evil immigrants; hold on to your horses. This is basically the minimum that Couillard will do to get rid of the subject before election year. The other parties proposed more draconian measures, such as banning ''ostentatious'' religious signs from public servants, or people in position of authority (judges, police, etc.). This is the Liberals ensuring that come election time, they can say ''see, we did something!'' even if that thing is kind of minor and irrelevant.