Brutal Slash Vs Shred

I feel like I'm going crazy here, but my Brutal Slash seems to be hitting FAR harder than Shred does, even with a bleed. Comparing the energy cost, Brutal Slash costs 20 Energy where Shred costs 40, but the damage on Brutal Slash seems to be higher than Shred. I can't tell if I'm an outlier or what's going on, but I'm finding I kill things a hell of a lot quicker using Brutal Slash than Shred spam with a bleed.

Is this normal?
    Welcome to America. Here is your corrupt politician, complementary gun, and your fixed news. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Deleted
    Brutal Slash does 2470% weapon damage before traits. Shred does 847% weapon damage + 20% if the target is bleeding, before traits. So yes, it is normal. Brutal Slash has a CD and you shouldn't cap charges even on single target.

Quote Originally Posted by Greif9 View Post
    Brutal Slash does 2470% weapon damage before traits. Shred does 847% weapon damage + 20% if the target is bleeding, before traits. So yes, it is normal. Brutal Slash has a CD and you shouldn't cap charges even on single target.
    So I SHOULD be using charges and dumping them for brutal slash then?
    Welcome to America. Here is your corrupt politician, complementary gun, and your fixed news. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by ElfinHilon10 View Post
    So I SHOULD be using charges and dumping them for brutal slash then?
    If you're using brutal slash, most definitely don't let it be sitting at 3 charges. Use them. Particularly if you have bloodtalon and/or tiger's fury up. But there will be times you'll have to resort to shred for building combo points, because once the initial charges are up you'll only get one brutal slash every ~9 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    If you're using brutal slash, most definitely don't let it be sitting at 3 charges. Use them. Particularly if you have bloodtalon and/or tiger's fury up. But there will be times you'll have to resort to shred for building combo points, because once the initial charges are up you'll only get one brutal slash every ~9 seconds.
    Right. Alright that's what I was thinking. The guide on icy veins didn't explain that. I was looking all over it and I couldn't find anything about when to use Brutal Slash other than when you have 2 or more targets. Thanks for the help

thumbs up for the explanation. was wondering wtf is going on.

Icy veins is a hack job on an old guide badly updated(as are a bunch of their other classes). If you're speced for brutal slash it's your hardest hitting ability even single target and should be using.

You should be using BS only on AoE fights and try to learn the fights or watch DBM/Wings to see when adds spawn. If you have 8 seconds to go till adds and 3 charges on BS, fire one up. Never cap them, but if adds come soon, try to not spam them all as you will lose tons of dmg.
    Also try to let them recharge in time for TF, but don't cap them.
    Also never do BS when MoC is up, since it's cheap, you're wasting Clearcasting procs. Use MoC for Shred and BS when no CC. Though if you have adds, spam BS regardless of CC and if TF is up, I think you should cast BS rather than Shred.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellshout View Post
    You should be using BS only on AoE fights and try to learn the fights or watch DBM/Wings to see when adds spawn. If you have 8 seconds to go till adds and 3 charges on BS, fire one up. Never cap them, but if adds come soon, try to not spam them all as you will lose tons of dmg.
    Also try to let them recharge in time for TF, but don't cap them.
    Also never do BS when MoC is up, since it's cheap, you're wasting Clearcasting procs. Use MoC for Shred and BS when no CC. Though if you have adds, spam BS regardless of CC and if TF is up, I think you should cast BS rather than Shred.
    Clearly, the bolded part is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post
    Is it? Wouldn't you run SR single target?
    BreweRyge: Adds a resource meter for Brewmaster brews, as if they were on a rage- or energy-type system.
    Hidden Artifact Tracker: Adds your progress on unlocking the extra tints for your hidden artifact appearance to the item tooltip.

SR is better in a fight that is strictly ST, but on fights where there is even occasional cleaves BrS will pull ahead. When you also consider progression requiring you to pay attention more to oh-shit moments, BrS will also have a lower potential damage loss than SR, despite the fact that SR is a lot easier to manage now.

I don't think the bolded statement is incorrect, but I also think there are other factors to think about as well.

There are some factors where BS will pull ahead of SR on ST-mostly depending on your relics, etc- it's best to sim yourself in that situation. SR is clearly ahead for me on ST and most "ST like" fights.

If it's a fight like Mistress your RL may ask you not to take it for the AOE damage but that's a case by case bases.

If you have say 3 swipe relics (though not ideal) BS may pull ahead on ST but you're still going to need to shred occasionally for CP/ proper up times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind that since BrS hits so hard and has a cooldown with charges, whenever possible you'll want to cast it during your buff periods (BT/TF) rather than just hitting it on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    SR is better in a fight that is strictly ST, but on fights where there is even occasional cleaves BrS will pull ahead.
    I don't think the bolded statement is incorrect, but I also think there are other factors to think about as well.
    Sisters for example, is an ST fight with occasional AoE(most likely 2 bird spawns). Is it worth going BrS for 2 birds? Of course not.
    Avatar without padding is not an AoE fight, so strictly boss damage taken into consideration, SR pulls ahead.
    It's up to the player to decide how many waves will spawn, how long the adds stay up etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post
    Clearly the top Ferals are playing SR for ST because they are stupid...

10+ Year Old Account
    Bonus points for stacking brutal slash and clearcasting proc or blood talons and tiger fury with it in AoE scenarios (dunno actually if it gives much benefit over using said procs on something else, but when my wife blasts away 2 stacks under blood talons effect it makes me angry, because no one should be ahead of fire mage on trash dps in m+
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    but when my wife blasts away 2 stacks under blood talons effect ...
    You (as in general you) can not pull ahead of your wife in any content. It is known.

Quote Originally Posted by Yxiomel View Post
    Is it? Wouldn't you run SR single target?
    Sorry, I misunderstood you man. I thought you meant you shouldn’t use BS even if you took the talent on single target.

Brutal slash is also higher single target burst for priority add killing in the example given of sisters and 2 birds. You can of course tunnel pure single target but the opportunity cost choosing between the talent choices now is low where it used to be massive. Dependant on your raid and time to live of said adds it can be a better aoe meter pad or not. Avatar is also priority burst on shield, outside of brutal slash our burst is poor. As with all mechanics your can say screw it other classes will take care of this part of the fight, if too many end up doing so together your raid fails.