Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    biggest and easiest way I can think of is NOT solo queuing, but that's no guarantee.

Get rid of in-game voice chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

There is no one feature OW can turn off to fix toxicity because the root cause is not Overwatch, it is the gamer player base. The game was created with a perfect society in mind, that we can all play a game and not behave like addle brained children who blow our tops when ever we have to be with others. Voice cons won’t fix snuffing or throwing games. People will still be abusive in text chat.

The change has to start with the player base and it ends in the player base. Prison wouldn’t be a punishment if it were not for the other people in the prison. People ruin everything.

And judging by the toxicity in this thread alone that will never change, only get worse.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were very naive in not having decent systems implemented for launch. There isn’t one thing, you’re right but there are particular behaviours that aggravate issues; things like abusing alt accounts, deranking, boosting and so on that have long been problems in their own other titles but seem to have come as a surprise to them, and therefore never had a plan or systems to deal with it. Even use of cheats took them by surprise and took a long time to put a lid on.

They launched for a perfect world, and found very quickly its far from it. I mean, I’ve seen some of Kaplan’s own ‘work’ from his EQ days. This should not have surprised him.

I have kids (young) who play Overwatch with me or sometimes by themselves. Even with the language filter in place sometimes the toxicity is nasty, i'm not sure they can do much aside from push the reporting features more

I turn chat off.

Works every time.
    The time I don't turn it off, I look at it as a experiment, so to speak.

The toxicity can never go away, because like someone say, they are like bullies. And world will never be rid of bullies.

IRL, you can return the hate with such ferocity that it turns into a fight where you kick the living shit our of the bully so hard that they forget their name for few days.
    Plus you feel good and make the surroundings a more positive place (which is ironic, from one point of view, due to violence involved).

On the internet, you can't do much.

Toxicity/insults only show how immature that certain player is and how evil-oriented mind he/she has. At least at that time.

And for such people, noone should have time. So, the easy way is to ignore, which is turn chat off in this particular case.

Sad, I know, since it'a a MULTIplayer game based on teamwork, but humans fck everythign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They were very naive in not having decent systems implemented for launch. There isn’t one thing, you’re right but there are particular behaviours that aggravate issues; things like abusing alt accounts, deranking, boosting and so on that have long been problems in their own other titles but seem to have come as a surprise to them, and therefore never had a plan or systems to deal with it. Even use of cheats took them by surprise and took a long time to put a lid on.

They launched for a perfect world, and found very quickly its far from it. I mean, I’ve seen some of Kaplan’s own ‘work’ from his EQ days. This should not have surprised him.
    To be fair, this is their first foray into a competitive FPS IP. Sure, we've all heard stories about toxicity in these types of games, but until you experience it firsthand, all we have are word of mouth stories and YouTube videos (mostly of the same people) which usually come off as funny and nothing serious, then the issue doesn't seem as big of a deal.
    Maybe some of it had to do with pride, thinking that their playerbase wouldn't behave in such a manner. Sure, blizzard has dealt with bots and cheaters in WoW, but that doesn't really compare as cheating in WoW isn't as blatantly damaging to the game. Cheating there equates to botting (for the most part), which can influence the market but doesn't cause immediate issues and is something they can take their time with investigating. Obviously, other cheats have occurred, but bots are by far the #1 thing they have to deal with in their other games.
    Combining pride with naivety leads to the system starting the way it did. They are now trying to take steps to make the system better and to combat these issues, but it takes time, and seeing as how no other game, or social media in general, has been able to figure something out to stop toxicity, or even dial it down, it's a hard fought battle and will require near revolutionary huge steps to change it.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2017-10-19 at 06:24 PM.

Honestly, the only thing that should be done about "toxicity"(aka freedom) is to allow everyone to mute or disable voice chat, along with text chat. Censorship and social engineering are not the ways to go about it. As mentioned, you do not know what the other person is facing in life, and it's not your job to fix them. You should be given mechanical tools to ignore them, and also prevent teaming up with them again if so desired. Finally mechanical measures should be implemented to prevent cheats and exploits, those should be posted and abusers of those things should be punished as needed(with very light punishments for the first couple of offenses).

That's it.

People were not always this toxic, there was a time when you could ask a question about where to get something in an mmo and actually get helpful info and not told how good your mom was at oral. It’s been a steady degeneration of our gaming society and it would take something huge to change that.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    make it so typing "GG EZ" and other toxic phrases into chat doesn't change the chat into a new sentence, but makes it invisible to everyone but the person who typed it.

So they'll sit there dumbfounded about why no one took their bait to get salty.

Without salt to feed on, the trolls die.

Though honestly... do people encounter that much toxicity in Overwatch? Granted I usually play in a group of friends, but even the random people we come across rarely ever get toxic beyond an exasperated comment once and a while. I placed diamond this season and never once ran into a toxic person playing competitive; everyone on voice chat was nice enough and, even if we lost, no one got super butthurt.

So I ask... Am I extremely lucky? Is it a case of "put good in, get good out?" Is EU just waaay more toxic than NA?
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-10-20 at 01:40 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

honestly, penny arcade said it best. This is just what human nature is.

You can't fight toxicity. Battlebeard understands why toxicity exists in most if not all Matchmaking systems. I got GM top 500 season 2 solo que and have hardly played since. I put as much focus, if not more, micromanaging 3-4 other people on my team, than I did focusing on my own play. That isn't enjoyable. Most people assume that if you are at the same rating that means you are equally as good and know as much. Because there are such large gaps in both skill and knowledge within a certain range of mmr/rating, you are always going to have toxicity. Until we can calculate skill/influence/game impact better with systems. People at the moment are just fucking delusional and there's no feedback mechanism for them to see if their ideas about how to play the game are correct.

I think the whole concept of toxicity is absurd. If you were playing a pickup basketball game and a guy on your team dribbled it down court ever possession and hoisted up a 3-pointer, that guy would be confronted and dealt with. If you dealt with it, you wouldn't call that toxic, you'd call that responsible because they are fucking over everyone else's time. That is the equivalent of the Hanzo or Genji player having no impact in your games, that keeps making up excuses why they don't need to switch, despite the fact that their selfish decision to play the game the way they want to, is dragging everyone else down. People are just off in their own world, doing their own thing, not giving a single fuck how their behavior is impacting others. I want to play with people that have the mindset of "be a star in your role." and want to win, and are honest enough with themselves to say "Hey someone else do X, I'm getting nothing done." I'm nothing but kind to those sort people, they are just incredibly rare. When someone points out a mistake I make that's obvious, I own it. If they are criticizing a situation they misunderstood, I explain it to them and don't immediately get defensive and escalate it to hostility.

Maybe I just don't understand what "fun" means to other people in competitive ladder. To me it's about getting as good at the game as I can get: learning and improving. I feel like I should be able to get that without committing to a team.

10+ Year Old Account
    ill never stop being toxic

this game and most people who play it don't deserve a polite group of people to interact with and if blizzard was any dumber they'd be trying to resell shopvacs without vaccum tubes.

I personally like some toxic players, as long as they are doing it verbally and not throwing the game

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    People were not always this toxic, there was a time when you could ask a question about where to get something in an mmo and actually get helpful info and not told how good your mom was at oral. It’s been a steady degeneration of our gaming society and it would take something huge to change that.
    Yup it the culture of toxic became accepted and is often used as a tool when it suits people. When it pops in their face then its a problem. Because this double standard continued went on for so long everyone just became toxic to just about anyone that isn't in their circle. So people started being toxic to each other as a preemptive defense against others being toxic.

Then any defense against toxic behavior has to be removed because it is used to be toxic. Avoid a player? Sounds good right. But then toxic ass people use it as a way to que dodge. Reporting system? Good in theory. But toxic ass people use it by getting a friend or two just to pull the trigger and silence people kicking them in the dick.

I have to agree the society itself is the problem. Blizzard cannot fix it with a magic system. Somehow that system will be twisted by toxic people (even if they have good intentions) into furthering toxic behavior. Truth be told it just won't change until people can actually be held accountable for what they do on the internet. As long as its self policing wild west systems that we have today with abusive report systems and such that really do ZERO damage in the long run.. nothing will change.. and even when they really do damage all that really happens is the player throwing another 60 bucks at the company to be right back in it or in OW case a pile of WoW gold and boom.. right back into it..

After all we know no business will stop a person from being able to play if they are willing to throw 60 more bucks at them. Even if its 20 times a year.

An ignore button that does more than moderate chat. Being a dick in life comes with consequences. Being a dick online does not come with consequences. Make that ignore function mean something.

Don't be a baby, grow some thicker skin.

People have always been mean to each other in online games. It's only since this new generation of "gamers" and girls started gravitating towards gaming that toxicity is suddenly an issue.

If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

We need to ban people like Kaplan who is a toxic player. He posted this on a public forum 5 days before being hired by Blizz: https://web.archive.org/web/20090608...ite/arc27.html

"Whoever came up with this sheer fisting of an encounter can go fuck themselves. Do me a favor so I don't waste my guild's time on this kind of jackass shit-fest again, send me an email at tigole@legacyofsteel.net when you decide to A) Implement an encounter that wasn't designed by a retarded chimp chained to a cubicle B) Get a Quality Assuarance Department C) Actually beta test the fucking thing and D) Patch it live. And please for god's sake -- do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Pull your heads out of your asses."

The game slowly, slowly breaks you down.

Deleted
    This game is probably the toxiest one I ever played. And at begin it was not ! It was really cool. But now...