Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

George Soros donates 18 billion to his Open Society Foundation

George Soros has given $18 billion to his pro-democracy foundation
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/17/news...ons/index.html
    His estimated net worth is near 25 billion.

"The foundation has spent about $14 billion since the 1980s, according to spokesperson Laura Silber."

Talking some big figures right here.

Is democracy something you can buy? It sounds like a good concept, so why doesn't it come out naturally out of the will of the good people?

This foundation seems like his lifetime work, so the donation makes sense. He does have 5 kids though to whom he could inherit that money to.
    Last edited by patuxz; 2017-10-19 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Supreme court ruled that spending money is free speech, so I'm shocked it took him this long.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by patuxz View Post
    Is democracy something you can buy? It sounds like a good concept, so why doesn't it come out naturally out of the will of the good people?
    Because there is also the will of not-good people.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus. $18 billion is four Trumps.

(checks Forbes)

Six Trumps. That's an amazing amount of money. Hope it's spent in a responsible way.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Jesus. $18 billion is four Trumps.

(checks Forbes)

Six Trumps. That's an amazing amount of money. Hope it's spent in a responsible way.
    **MAYBE*

Remember we still don't have his tax returns.

obama obama hillary hillary something emails pizzagate.

inc conspiracies on how soros and obama are doing something....

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Supreme court ruled that spending money is free speech, so I'm shocked it took him this long.
    Seriously. If you don't Soros influencing elections, then amend the constitution to fix Citizens United ruling. At least, though, this speech is from a citizen and not a foreign government.

Soros must be about to die and that is the easiest way to keep it from being taxed.

"The foundation has spent about $14 billion since the 1980s, according to spokesperson Laura Silber."

This foundation seems like his lifetime work, so the donation makes sense. He does have 5 kids though to whom he could inherit that money to.
    "Headline: Man who spends billions to fight for things like, stopping the repeal of the death tax, takes steps to avoid the death tax."

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

He is either about to die or is gearing up for really big projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    "Headline: Man who spends billions to fight for things like, stopping the repeal of the death tax, takes steps to avoid the death tax."
    And WHOOSH! - there goes the point for Lil TJ. Anyone surprised?

His foundation is international, btw, just in case facts started mattering to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does this avoid a death tax?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

In the US it is. The Supreme Court even ruled in favor of it.

Isn't that just safeguarding it from taxes and stuff?

...what? Soros has been a pretty consistent critic of attempts to reduce or remove the estate tax.

Do you have links that show the billions you claim he's spent trying to repeal it, instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    That is not the way to get around taxes and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    That is not the way to get around taxes and stuff.
    If you give it away, it saves it from you being taxed for it. Not sure how that helps... Donating your money to charity, isn't taxed, because you cannot be taxed for money you don't have.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...what? Soros has been a pretty consistent critic of attempts to reduce or remove the estate tax.

Do you have links that show the billions you claim he's spent trying to repeal it, instead?
    read it again

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Most likely. My bets are that he got bad news from the doctor and is protecting his wealth and assets for his kid.... or kids? I think he only has the one son but I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    How does this avoid a death tax?
    The government will not get a share of that money when he dies, because he will have given it away before he died. This is pretty much what anyone smart does. From Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, to any number of middle class Americans via a trust fund, pretty much nobody wants to pay the death tax.