Thread: McCain VS Trump

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I sicken you? Good. I don't really value the opinion of people who think dropping explosives, napalm and agent orange on children is a good thing.
    Shifting the goalposts much? You said he was an idiot who crashed five planes. Having trouble backing that up? Because I think you're having trouble backing that up. Mostly because you're lying, but the rest comes from context you provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are...you sure you're not talking about Trump? Because this is Trump to a T (huehue).
    How is Trump engaging in grid lock? He isn't even in the same branch of government. But yeah, Trump is a douche. What does that have to do with what I was saying? Trump may feel like the ultimate Kryponite to you guys, but whataboutism is whataboutism, no matter who you insert in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    How is Trump engaging in grid lock? He isn't even in the same branch of government. But yeah, Trump is a douche. What does that have to do with what I was saying? Trump may feel like the ultimate Kryponite to you guys, but whataboutism is whataboutism, no matter who you insert in there.
    How many departments have unfilled leadership positions because the Trump administration just hasn't gotten around to nominating anyone yet?

How many departments have unfilled leadership positions because the Trump administration just hasn't gotten around to nominating anyone yet?
    How many judges are awaiting confirmation, due to Democrats slow walking every single one of them to the maximum allowable delay? Spare me the tribal nonsense.

I don't think you want to argue about slow walking judges given what happened to Garland. That's not an argument you can win.

How many judges are awaiting confirmation, due to Democrats slow walking every single one of them to the maximum allowable delay? Spare me the tribal nonsense.
    I'm actually not sure, if you have numbers I'd be interested. We could then compare to how many nominees that the GOP obstructed during Obama's term, but I doubt Democrats will be able to obstruct a SCOTUS position for a full year, if one opens up, like Republicans managed to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is Trump engaging in grid lock?
    Well there was the time he swapped positions and support of a health care bill within 24 hours. I mean, sure he did it before he was elected too, but now it's different because his support actually matters.

Or, the time he turned Infrastructure Week into American Nazis and the KKK week. There isn't even a plan to have this come back this year.

Or, the time he didn't push for any of the "repeal and replace" deals, barring a few Tweets blaming the GOP and a barbeque dinner one time. You could argue that his lack of support for his own agenda, causing it to fail and be pushed back into an already crowded schedule, counts as gridlock.

Or, following the same idea, his lack of infrastructure, health care, or tax plans pushing them all into a crowded end of 2017 could count.

Or the fights he picks with random-ass GOP members when the bills he likes (well, likes at the time, apparently) aren't going his way and he needs a scapegoat when they fail. Especially when the GOP members push back. Hey, what's McCain doing on the Senate floor? Is that a thumbs down? Is that WWE music?

Or, the time he spends golfing and tweeting when the key issues on his agenda, wiped off his campaign page due to lack of effort, collect dust but not votes so much. Isn't the tax plan supposed to be in some kind of hard form by now? Where was Trump last weekend?

I guess it comes down to how you define "gridlock" which I fully admit is a subjective term. But it is nearly impossible to objectively say that the complete lack of progress on the legislative side is 0% because of Trump's actions, or inactions. Unless you count "hey you GOP, draft something that makes my campaign promise to cover more people better for less money" as action. Which I don't.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know, this is from August but at the time they were looking at 600 positions they called "key" and roughly half didn't have a nomination yet.

I'm actually not sure, if you have numbers I'd be interested. We could then compare to how many nominees that the GOP obstructed during Obama's term, but I doubt Democrats will be able to obstruct a SCOTUS position for a full year, if one opens up, like Republicans managed to do.
    So...something something...what about X though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    What scares me is that the US conservatives tend to fall back on the idea that they will just declare nuclear war with the entire world if there's any indication that another country may surpass the US in influence. That's their only method of foreign relation, "Do as we say or be nuked". It's like they get off at night to dreams of WW3.
    From my experience a lot of conservatives fancy themselves as warriors.

So...something something...what about X though?
    That's a great impression of Tijuana.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Forever. These people don't understand how beneficial the US' leadership in the world has been to the US. It's why the US has stayed the richest, most powerful, nation in the world. The US uses things like foreign aid and peacekeeping missions to secure resources and economic markets for itself, and deny the same to those it dislikes. That's literally how the Cold War was won, the US was able to successfully limit Russia's economic power by encircling it with countries allied to the US. That's how we got things like the Taliban and Saddam Hussein in the first place, the US put them there to keep Russia out.

What scares me is that the US conservatives tend to fall back on the idea that they will just declare nuclear war with the entire world if there's any indication that another country may surpass the US in influence. That's their only method of foreign relation, "Do as we say or be nuked". It's like they get off at night to dreams of WW3.
    I'd call them republicans rather than conservatives. But there does seem to be an eagerness to drop our nuclear bombs on SOMEONE. Nuclear war is just not a very good tool to use in trade negotiations.