Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Yes? Do you expect every country to bow down to english speakers so they can read everything produced, in english?
    Of course. English is the de facto lingua franca of science, by publishing your work in an obscure language you pretty much guarantee its dissemination and impact will be reduced to the point where valuable and useful work may be wasted, because it is not widely read and discussed. It's completely pointless to publish in languages other than English outside very narrow fields where you expect no broad interest anyway.

I don't think studying sexual and violent crime among immigrants or certain social or ethnic group is racist, btw. It's obsurantism to claim so. But, on the other hand, the methods and assumptions of such studies need to be scrutinized with greater care than usual, assuming bias until proven otherwise (by confirming the methodology is sound).

I don't speak Korean though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    Of course.
    Hahaha, fuck off. The entitlement of so many english speakers is fucking unreal. The world doesn't revolve around you.

I don't really like it. Harkens back to "teach men not to rape". Most migrants aren't doing shit against anyone.

What needs to be done is to stop holding police back from doing their job. Accusations of racism tend to stop cops in their tracks(Rotherham as a perfect example).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    A March report had found that 85 per cent of suspects in gang rape cases in Sweden involved foreign origin attackers.
    If that's true... think about how foreigners would react if they had Swedish immigrants in their countries, gang raping their people... I'll bet those Swedes would be lynched by an angry mob, with the authorities looking the other way.
    Here we write brochures and books for people who probably can't even read them. Fucking laughable.
    And no I'm not saying we should sink to their level and lynch the rapists. But we should punish them severely and send them back to whatever shithole they came from.

Deleted
    Hahaha, fuck off. The entitlement of so many english speakers is fucking unreal.
    I'm not a (native) English speaker. It's basic scientific reasoning: why do you publish? To disseminate knowledge and discovery. How do you do so? By getting your stuff read as broadly as possible. How do you achieve that? By everyone publishing in the same language, understood by all scientists. I'm sorry it offends your layman sensibilities, but this is the only way forward. Without a common scientific discourse, there can be no global scientific community, and thus non-majority language speakers will be marginalized, which is the fucking opposite of what you'd want if you actually care about a nation - any nation - prospering and being successful in the field of research.

You're free to be offended about that ofc, this is the internet, I'm offended by your ignorance but I guess we both have to live with that.

Deleted
    You can't seriously expect me to pull out something in english from south korea.
    Then you have no evidence supporting your argument. Tell your countrymen to learn some English.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha, fuck off. The entitlement of so many english speakers is fucking unreal. The world doesn't revolve around you.
    It has nothing to do with revolving around English-speaking people. I am German. You are Korean. We both learned English, didn't we? Why? Because otherwise we wouldn't be able to have this lovely conversation. Just think about how much duller both of our days would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    I'm not a (native) English speaker. It's basic scientific reasoning: why do you publish? To disseminate knowledge and discovery. How do you do so? By getting your stuff read as broadly as possible. How do you achieve that? By everyone publishing in the same language, understood by all scientists. I'm sorry it offends your layman sensibilities, but this is the only way forward. Without a common scientific discourse, there can be no global scientific community, and thus non-majority language speakers will be marginalized, which is the fucking opposite of what you'd want if you actually care about a nation - any nation - prospering and being successful in the field of research.

You're free to be offended about that ofc, this is the internet, I'm offended by your ignorance but I guess we both have to live with this.
    Why the hell would they publish something meant for a korean audience in english?

Deleted
    Why the hell would they publish something meant for a korean audience in english?
    So everybody can understand it and not just Koreans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Then you have no evidence supporting your argument. Tell your countrymen to learn some English.

It has nothing to do with revolving around English-speaking people. I am German. You are Korean. We both learned English, didn't we? Why? Because otherwise we wouldn't be able to have this lovely conversation. Just think about how much duller both of our days would be?
    I learned english because I had to. My english was horrible before I went to australia to study.

- - - Updated - - -

So everybody can understand it and not just Koreans.
    What use do you have for it when it's meant for a korean audience?

Deleted
    I learned english because I had to. My english was horrible before I went to australia to study.
    What does that mean you had to. School? Sure, but I'm sure you're glad you did, because look at the opportunities it opened up to you. You couldn't spend your whole day on MMO-C if you didn't, and that seems to have become a very big part of your life

What use do you have for it when it's meant for a korean audience?
    Did you pay attention to our conversation? You said studies and reports prove that immigrants in Korea disproportionally cause more rape. I asked for evidence, you linked something I, and 99.99% of the people here, can't read. So what use would we have for it... I don't know. Maybe seeing whether there is actually anything to your argument.

Deleted
    As you see, people outside Korea would benefit from knowing their findings. Even if they decide to write in Korean, there should be an abstract in English. That way, if someone finds their research relevant based on the abstract summary, they can at least get the gist of it and maybe go through the trouble of translating to see methodology and understand the data. Without even an abstract it is truly useless outside Korea.

Even for you now - you cited it as evidence supporting your position in a debate, but it was ignored because people didn't get it.

What does that mean you had to. School? Sure, but I'm sure you're glad you did, because look at the opportunities it opened up to you. You couldn't spend your whole day on MMO-C if you didn't, and that seems to have become a very big part of your life
    If you noticed my posting it's usually at afternoon, evening or night here in Singapore. I'm not spending my whole day on here.

Deleted
    If you noticed my posting it's usually at afternoon, evening or night here in Singapore. I'm not spending my whole day on here.
    Right. It's only half your day. My mistake.

Right. It's only half your day. My mistake.
    Hardly, I'm playing Overwatch or WoW while browsing mmo-champion.

Deleted
    Hardly, I'm playing Overwatch or WoW while browsing mmo-champion.
    Don't deny it, honey.

Because non-immigrants get away with it more often because the system is racist.
    What a lame cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

We can still point out how this idea actually works, and use their ammo against them.
    Except it won't work, because ,this may sound strange, there is no superior culture. They should go through some sort of briefing on how the law works in the new country but that's the extent of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Am I the only one that finds it highly amusing that Sven here thinks diversity is all fine and dandy as long as it is the right kind of diversity?
    What happened to your love of foreign cultures? Should you not tell your wife to get ready?

10+ Year Old Account
    They believe your women are all whores and treat them as such and no amount of "how to flirt" books will change that (more than likely it will reinforce that thought).
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiushtha View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it highly amusing that Sven here thinks diversity is all fine and dandy as long as it is the right kind of diversity?
    What happened to your love of foreign cultures? Should you not tell your wife to get ready?
    What are you talking about?