Poll: Do loot crates and micro transactions turn you off from buying a game?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you not buy games because of Loot Crates?

Simple survey.

When purchasing a game, is a micro-transaction/loot-crate style system a deal breaker for you? Do you immediately not want to buy the game?

Please choose Yes or No, feel free to comment why.

Depends.

I don't mind cosmetic loot crates such as the ones in Overwatch but when you start putting power in them or making it easier to get to games endings with them then that's where I draw the line.

However in MMORPGS hell no. If you want to put a mount or costume on the store then do it. Bad enough Rift has Lock Boxes that give you a CHANCE at a mount.

Depends how its handled and the type of game.

Won't buy Star Wars Battlefrount two because the loot crates makes the game p2w and its a MP game.

Would have bought Shadows of War even tho it has loot crates. (Won't buy it due to how they handled the charity/dlc shit).

Edit: Need to add a poll with more then just a Yes or No choice. It isn't as black and white as that for a lot of people.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Yeah.

Battlefront II is the game that really made me curious how people felt about it.

It sounds just downright awful and greedy. Overwatch's system is fine, but BFII is a no-fly zone for this customer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkrypt View Post
    Simple survey.

When purchasing a game, is a micro-transaction/loot-crate style system a deal breaker for you? Do you immediately not want to buy the game?

Please choose Yes or No, feel free to comment why.
    Nope.

I don't let optional things cloud my vision of playing a good game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, can't fucking stand them. I bought Overwatch against my better judgement because friends said the loot crates weren't that bad and I regretted it.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

If its something like overwatch i do not care, dont like the but dont care. If they are in games with even a single player mode then i consider it double dipping and dont support the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Nope.

I don't let optional things cloud my vision of playing a good game.
    Problem is Jay some games are getting over the line with it.

Loot boxes in Battlefront 2 actually give power so someone on day 1 who shells out money has the advantage in MP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Yup, can't fucking stand them. I bought Overwatch against my better judgement because friends said the loot crates weren't that bad and I regretted it.
    They aren't though. It's pure cosmetic. You earn them every level and provide no power advantage.

That's a fine system.

Battlefront 2 and Shadow of War loot boxes are example of trash systems. As is Rifts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Overwatch loot crates are 100% cosmetic. So i don't know what you are smoking.

Deleted
    I don't really buy games in the first place

In general, no, because some of the games can be pretty damned good. However, it does leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth when I play and KNOW that there are people who have the better/ cooler stuff because they bought it rather than earned it in game. Don't like P2W stuff in general, but I won't let that prevent me experience playing an otherwise decent game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Problem is Jay some games are getting over the line with it.

Loot boxes in Battlefront 2 actually give power so someone on day 1 who shells out money has the advantage in MP.
    Ok i can get on board with that, if the loot boxes have power items that give you an advantage then maybe its a little over the line. In my experience with BF1 however, loot boxes did give you new weapons and armor, but I was still pretty easily able to level up my sniper skill to get the best sniper rifle in the game, despite loot boxes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    I don't really buy games in the first place
    So you steal them?

I can think of several games right off the top of my head that I either didn't buy or played F2P but refused to spend any money on because the pricing and practices were far too greedy and predatory.

I boycott games like that. Microtransactions and a lot of the F2P model is bad enough as it is.

All depends on how they're handled and if there are other ways to obtain items. As Jtbrig said if any sort of power at all is locked behind a lootbox I wont give it the time of day. If it's just cosmetics then I have to weigh the quality of the game against the business practice. For instance, I play Overwatch and simply don't buy lootboxes, because I find the game quite fun to play and get a free lootbox regularly, which they don't require me to buy a key to open. I dropped payday 2 because they added a random system where you got plenty of safes, but you could only get drills to open them with real money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    depends, if the loot crate has character/game power enhancing items in them no. If it's just cosmetics I don't care.

I've yet to buy any game that has loot crates.

I'll play games with cosmetic loot crates but I will never ever buy the crates themselves. I have no problem paying a few dollars for a skin or hero but I absolutely refuse to pay for the gambling system...waste of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I need them?

If yes, then I don't buy.

If no, then I don't care.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

It depends.

If it's cosmetic, that's fine.

If it's power increasing and I play the game online, that's bad

If it's power increasing and I play the game offline/single player, that's annoying but acceptable (as long as the game is beatable still).
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends if it has any influence over the single player portion of the game. If it does then I probably won't bother with it. If it's strictly for multiplayer purposes then I wouldn't mind buying it cheap for the story mode. I mean seeing the microtransactions there in the game is irritating to look at but as long as it stays out of the single player part I can tolerate it. Don't get me wrong though I fucking HATE this new RNG loot box trend games are getting involved with and I feel it ruins the feel of a game from being an awesome fun experience to feeling like you're constantly being pestered by a company to spend more money on this thing because it's cool and shiny.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War is a good example. When I first saw gameplay of this I was excited I couldn't wait. Played through Shadows of Mordor twice, I loved it. Once I heard about the microtransactions I was immediately turned off about it. Now I'm not sure I'm going to buy it or not. Before, I knew I was going to buy it as soon as I could but now I don't know. I'll probably just wait until it drops in price. $30 at the most.

So loot crates definitely do have an impact on whether or not I buy a game or rather WHEN I buy a game and in what condition. I'll probably buy it used that way I'm not supporting this RNG loot box shit. Could've had my support if not for the scummy microtransaction/RNG loot box bullshit. Take that shit out and you have my full support.