10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    You know that something is srly wrong when an in-game space ship value is higher than your country’s minimum wage.
    Soooo...higher than 7.25 USD?

$850.... I feel like this shit has gotta be a contender for most expensive item sold in a video game (especially for a game that isn't even out...)

It just feels insulting.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    $850.... I feel like this shit has gotta be a contender for most expensive item sold in a video game (especially for a game that isn't even out...)

It just feels insulting.
    Nah, 5th most expensive within SC alone.
    http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Li...vehicle_prices

Also, fun article to read.
    https://www.g2g.com/blog/5-online-ga...virtual-items/
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2017-10-20 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    1. Entropia Universe

Entropia is an enigma in the gaming world. Players, rich players, spend a few hundred thousand dollars for virtual items in the game. This isn’t even an exaggeration. Some players even spend millions for their own virtual planet.

A few of the items, aside from the two listed above, that have sold for massive amounts in Entropia Universe, include:

$150,000 for Monria
    $99,000 for a banking license

Just check out these figures.

We’re talking massive money for these in-game items or worlds. The funny part is that many buyers are groups of investors.

But nothing beats the sale of Planet Calypso in 2011. The entire virtual planet sold for $6 million USD.
    I'm done. Going to sleep and hopefully not waking up.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I'm done. Going to sleep and hopefully not waking up.
    Also, my point wasn't to say that these ships aren't expensive (they are and I almost question some peoples' willingness to drop that much at once), just that you reminded me about some of the actual ridiculous shit people have dropped money on.

Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    you can't use credits from melted old ships, only new shinny dollars they hungry
    Yep. One of my bigger pet peeves with SC's model. They basically value new money more over money we already invested into the game.

Warbonds and special editions fucking suck. Originally, SC was a genuine project with financial accountability in the TOS. When it was time to put the financials out, CIG wasn't interested anymore. Then later, Warbonds came. It is basically an insult to everyone who spent money on the game and even enabled SC to happen.

SC is all a numbers game now. Chris could have maintained his integrity but he just nutted up. Makes you wonder what he is really afraid of people finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Yep. One of my bigger pet peeves with SC's model. They basically value new money more over money we already invested into the game.

Warbonds and special editions fucking suck. Originally, SC was a genuine project with financial accountability in the TOS. When it was time to put the financials out, CIG wasn't interested anymore. Then later, Warbonds came. It is basically an insult to everyone who spent money on the game and even enabled SC to happen.

SC is all a numbers game now. Chris could have maintained his integrity but he just nutted up. Makes you wonder what he is really afraid of people finding out.
    Ofc they value new money, they need income to pay for their development. Can't do that with recycled ship money that they already spend on a motion capture studio.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

$850 starting?...

That's so patently absurd, I can't even fathom his this is viewed as reasonable or acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    $850 starting?...

That's so patently absurd, I can't even fathom his this is viewed as reasonable or acceptable.
    My bet is that it'll be $1000 if it's sold again, since this is only the preview sale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quijote3000 View Post
    I just hope they release the game. I've been waiting forever
    They won't. Everyone should really just start asking their money back at this point imo.

It's been too damn long damnit!

I think what people have to realise is that most games aren't announced before they're well into development. That is not the case with Star Citizen. Of course it's going to feel like it's taking ages. Making AAA+ game titles isn't easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    I think what people have to realise is that most games aren't announced before they're well into development. That is not the case with Star Citizen. Of course it's going to feel like it's taking ages. Making AAA+ game titles isn't easy.
    Most people fully get that. What causes concern is rather that CIG have delays of upwards of a year on what is supposedly their internal production schedule.

Something is wrong when new versions get delayed this long. If they had a publisher and this happened internally they'd have been breathing down Chris Roberts neck months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now you're probably going to get a comparison to a game that's supposedly identical that was released before "core feature"s (developer's words, not mine) had yet to be implemented, that then used the money from the initial sales to help pay for continued development. All while toting that CIG has spent $160m on their's.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Most people fully get that. What causes concern is rather that CIG have delays of upwards of a year on what is supposedly their internal production schedule.
    Yet this happens with every MMO to date. No MMO has ever came out on time. They all have months / years worth of delays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Yet this happens with every MMO to date. No MMO has ever came out on time. They all have months / years worth of delays.
    It's hard to say that about mismanagement and the quantity of delays due to the others not being publicized.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    It's hard to say that about mismanagement and the quantity of delays due to the others not being publicized.
    Its not hard to say at all. Name me one MMO that released on time.

Regardless of the reasoning behind the delays, it happens all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not hard to say at all. Name me one MMO that released on time.

Regardless of the reasoning behind the delays, it happens all the time.
    I was specifically referring to the number of delays (as opposed to delays in general) and mismanagement.

Some of the people who are complaining about the delay work...or have worked...in software development. Some of them even work in game development. And those who don't can look at the output of other teams to gain at least an idea of how much progress should be expected.

Making AAA games isn't easy. Mistakes are made.

Sure. I can accept that.

Unfortunately, we have a host of issues.

Chris Roberts is developing an MMO game but he has yet to even add of the games netcode to the engine. One of their developers went online a few days ago and admitted they hadn't even started developing code for server meshing.

Chris Roberts is developing a game and he hasn't finished developing the engine.

This isn't a case of slow progress...this is a case of incompetence.

There is an established way to create games...one which simplifies its development and cuts costs and time. You have a central core for the game...the engine...and you add parts of the game around it until the game is complete.

Its a process which works...and CIG are ignoring it. They've squandered years of development and millions because of this.

Chris Roberts chose an engine that was unsuited for an MMO
    Chris Roberts failed to keep third party devs aware of engine changes
    Chris Roberts focus on developing and selling ships has ensured the game engine is still incomplete even after nearly seven years of development.

So yes...games development takes time.

But it has been six years already. CIG has spent more time and money modifying CE than it took CryTek to develop in the first place. CIG are still in the pre-Alpha phase of development. CIG are developing an MMO but do not have the netcode on place and have yet to start work on server meshing.

How do you develop an MMO without netcode?

It isn't easy to make an AAA game.

But CRs incompetence isn't helping. Its taking ages....its taking too long.

A competent manager would have seen work on SC move much faster. Six years and CIG have still to produce an Alpha? Six years and they are still working on the engine? Six years and they still have no content and even the basic mechanics are questionable? Six years and all they have to show for $110 million spent is a set of tech demos and some CGI vids?

Taking a complete product and a date that is a year + away and missing it happens.
    Missing the date for your next patch by a year is in a different ballpark.

And for CS its a mounting set of issues that together build up to a real bad picture.

Announcing completely unneeded features like in cockpit FOIP when your in early pre-alpha.
    Removal of features from a patch that is still delayed for a year despite it.
    Repeated changing of core systems like the flight model.
    3e party contractors while your engine is being constantly changed.
    Building your own motion capture studio.
    ToS changes to stop refunds.
    The new ship sale which now promises to add yet another feature to the game in an attempt to draw in more money.

The list goes on and on, any one of those things on their own you can excuse. Combine them with Roberts history in game development (see Freelancer) and people are right to be worried.

No, I don't think SC is a scam. Roberts has a vision and he wants to realize that vision to perfection.
    He's 'just' incompetent and he will drag the project down with him.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Taking a complete product and a date that is a year + away and missing it happens.
    Missing the date for your next patch by a year is in a different ballpark.

And for CS its a mounting set of issues that together build up to a real bad picture.

Announcing completely unneeded features like in cockpit FOIP when your in early pre-alpha.
    Removal of features from a patch that is still delayed for a year despite it.
    Repeated changing of core systems like the flight model.
    3e party contractors while your engine is being constantly changed.
    Building your own motion capture studio.
    ToS changes to stop refunds.
    The new ship sale which now promises to add yet another feature to the game in an attempt to draw in more money.

The list goes on and on, any one of those things on their own you can excuse. Combine them with Roberts history in game development (see Freelancer) and people are right to be worried.

No, I don't think SC is a scam. Roberts has a vision and he wants to realize that vision to perfection.
    He's 'just' incompetent and he will drag the project down with him.
    I do wonder if CR is taking Shigeru Miyamoto's words too strictly...
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."