Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Soviets didn't really need one. You can't invade Soviet mainland by floating in the seas. The only thing it would have done, is to allow them to pick a point of invasion by sea. Which would have been not so great idea to do on far east Russia anyway, and any other points would have been too well defended.
    Gahmuret is right. For example we gave the Russians 2,000 locomotive engines. The WWII Soviet war machine ran on US dollars.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Take out russia and bam though it wouldnt have lasted least not without many countries nuked.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

It depends on your definition of conquered, I suppose.

Could we have nuked everything until the planet died? Perhaps. I'm not sure what the stockpile of weapons was at that point in history or how long it would have taken to produce that many bombs.

Could we have occupied every country on Earth? Extremely doubtful; it would spread us way too thin, and WW2 was already made up primarily of drafted soldiers.

Could we have held a world's worth of territory if we somehow did take it? Not a chance.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Gahmuret is right. For example we gave the Russians 2,000 locomotive engines. The WWII Soviet war machine ran on US dollars.
    Only one problem: the stuff was already given to them by 1945. Going against them afterwards is not going to make the given things vanish. The vehicles would also not get to decide whether to be used against the giver or not, they would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Conquer? Maybe.
    Hold? No chance.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    lul no.

Look what happened in vietnam......now tell me the US could have taken over the world.......
    Yes, do look at it.

Hint: It wasn't an invasion or an attempt to conquer.

lul no.

Look what happened in vietnam......now tell me the US could have taken over the world.......
    Though I still don't think that the US could have or would have. US escalation and troops in Vietnam was 20ish years after WW2. The world was totally different then.

Israel rules the world. Just watch how the US acts like their lap dog. Republicans or Democrats... Every presidential candidate need their seal of approval. Congressmen drool over Netanyahu's balls.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Americans prefer to not think of themselves as an Empire, so outright physical conquest would likely be a no as well as practically impossible.

America is more creative in its global imperial projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by TSM View Post
    Israel rules the world. Just watch how the US acts like their lap dog. Republicans or Democrats... Every presidential candidate need their seal of approval. Congressmen drool over Netanyahu's balls.
    Considering Israel, as we know it today, wasn't even a thing until 1948...that's not really relevant to the discussion.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

lul no.

They could probably have 'taken' quite a lot of Europe and Asia. But holding it would have been the impossible, unrewarding and impractical task.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, right after world war 2, the US was the only nation to possess the atomic bomb, could we of conquered the entire planet putting side any moral or ethical reasons why not to?
    Practically? Absolutely, although I don't know if the public would have stood for it, no matter what the justification, nor do I know how well such an Pax Americana Ultima would have held. (There were plans on the books for going after Stalin immediately after WWII, including using a re-armed Wehrmacht as allies; they never came to anything, but the potential was certainly there.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Soviets didn't really need one. You can't invade Soviet mainland by floating in the seas. The only thing it would have done, is to allow them to pick a point of invasion by sea. Which would have been not so great idea to do on far east Russia anyway, and any other points would have been too well defended.
    Well, they did it with Germany.

And with the whole Western Europe and Scandinavia as their beach-head, attacking the Soviets would have been easy.

You mean you didn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The word you are looking for is "have."

"Could we of conquered the world?" No. No to the question and no due to the fact that the word does not belong there.

"Could we have conquered the world?" Still no, in terms of the question itself, but at least the proper word was used.

Deleted
    Only one problem: the stuff was already given to them by 1945. Going against them afterwards is not going to make the given things vanish. The vehicles would also not get to decide whether to be used against the giver or not, they would.
    Vehicles need fuel, maintenance and spare parts to keep running. The Soviet industry would have been unable to provide any of them; certainly not spare parts of American-made quality. They had fuel, but compared to American fuel it was crude, unclean and inefficient. Soviet soldiers were in fact amazed by how much high-quality American fuel improved the performance of their own vehicles.

Its well known Patton wanted to push on to the soviet union but he died if the conspiracy theory's are true in suspicious circumstances.

The US didnt have enough material to make many bombs after Nagasaki but once they knew how to mass produce plutonium they couldve taken over by 1947 just before the soviets detonated there first bomb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course not, with or without nukes. You still need to occupy the countries you conquer. Occupy every single country in the world... with what? Cardboard cutouts of US soldiers?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    so much silliness in this thread... usa only had 2 nukes, they have wasted them on japan. the only reason they could nuke japan was air superiority over japan. ussr were hard at work producing their own nukes. usa had no air superiority over ussr. usa had no rocket science, ussr were the first in that area anyway. so the only reason nukes did not fly was MAD.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Well, they did it with Germany.

And with the whole Western Europe and Scandinavia as their beach-head, attacking the Soviets would have been easy.
    Attacking is easy, sure. Surviving is another matter. Allied troops in Europe at 1945 seems to have been roughly 3 million or under. Soviets still had 10 million, give or take some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.