Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    All i know is they add Frans fabbit tailed ass in game and players will freak about it going 'the model exists playable viera now!'
    Fantasia sales spike. Yoshi-P reacts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    All i know is they add Frans fabbit tailed ass in game and players will freak about it going 'the model exists playable viera now!'
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Fantasia sales spike. Yoshi-P reacts.
    At this point they'd probably need it - me, along with bunch of ingame friends all stopped purchasing fantasia at same time.. after being totally addicted to them for ages, consuming multiple each month.

Not trying to extort or anything with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here I am, still having my free vial on my retainer.
    No need to mess with perfection, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Well, the XIV team already did the first draft character concept art for viera, both males and females.
    There's a long way to go from concept artwork to finished in game models. I'm not saying that we won't have Viera in game ever, but games produce a ton of concept art that either never makes it into the finished game, or else ends up being changed to something completely different in the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    If Balthier is in it though it needs to have Fran since she was his right hand essentially.
    As much as I want them to include Fran, I don't want to have to read months/years of "Viera playable when!?" posts. We've had to put up with over 13 years of people wanting Sub Races in WoW, I doubt they're going to just give up on this one.

For the human characters of FF 12, a few tweaks to existing models and some clothes are all they really need. It's far less work, and they can release their clothing and hair styles etc as a separate cash shop item with very little extra effort too. Just as long as it's not Vaan and Penelo. They were minor PoV characters in their own main series game, no reason for them to be in FF 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    And here I am, still having my free vial on my retainer.
    No need to mess with perfection, I guess.
    I used my Fantasia to try make my character look like a reject from a Kiss cover band. Turns out that's actually harder than you'd expect so I've consumed the item, but not actually gone through with customising yet.

Also experimented with a punk rock themed look too, but that one seems to be a no-go as well. Squenix just do not want people to have too much fun with their character choices .

It's only a fortnight until I get to go and see Distant Worlds in London! I'm hoping there will be a couple of FFXIV songs and that Susan Calloway will choose to sing the Revolutions theme.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    There's a long way to go from concept artwork to finished in game models. I'm not saying that we won't have Viera in game ever, but games produce a ton of concept art that either never makes it into the finished game, or else ends up being changed to something completely different in the finished product.
    It's the highest demanded FF race by a landslide. They did concept art because they were considering adding them previously. Now they've got Ivalice races and cooperation from the father of Ivalice. I'm pretty sure if they did introduce Fran to the storyline, it would be a no brainer the playable viera are in the future. So my point was that Square are surely "ready for the endless cries to make them a playable race if they DO include Fran" since the cries are already loud and clear prior to this. If they added Fran, they'd know what's coming.

I still think it's their ace in the hole to pull people back when needed, though.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-10-20 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    As much as I want them to include Fran, I don't want to have to read months/years of "Viera playable when!?" posts. We've had to put up with over 13 years of people wanting Sub Races in WoW, I doubt they're going to just give up on this one.

For the human characters of FF 12, a few tweaks to existing models and some clothes are all they really need. It's far less work, and they can release their clothing and hair styles etc as a separate cash shop item with very little extra effort too. Just as long as it's not Vaan and Penelo. They were minor PoV characters in their own main series game, no reason for them to be in FF 14.
    Given the wolf costumes that came out with the Halloween event, they've shown they can give character models lupine feet which resemble the Viera and change the ear shape on the current Miqo'te model, so they could make a passable Viera model by just making a Miqo'te taller with no tail and bunny ears. I don't think Viera would be all that difficult to implement, based on the wolf costumes ability to give already existing player characters traits similar to Viera (change wolf ears to bunny ears and take away the tail and BOOM!). They teased Au Ra LONG before they were available as a playable race with the introduction of Yugiri, dont' see why they couldn't do something similar with Viera.

However, I see your point. If they don't plan on implementing Viera as a playable race, I wouldn't want to hear a bunch whiny posts about it for years on end either.

I wish they'd go back and apply whatever tech the wolf ears use to the fox ears for miqo'te.

The fox ears fit on my character's head better. The wolf ears are pretty gargantuan. X3

Given the wolf costumes that came out with the Halloween event, they've shown they can give character models lupine feet which resemble the Viera and change the ear shape on the current Miqo'te model, so they could make a passable Viera model by just making a Miqo'te taller with no tail and bunny ears. I don't think Viera would be all that difficult to implement, based on the wolf costumes ability to give already existing player characters traits similar to Viera (change wolf ears to bunny ears and take away the tail and BOOM!). They teased Au Ra LONG before they were available as a playable race with the introduction of Yugiri, dont' see why they couldn't do something similar with Viera.

However, I see your point. If they don't plan on implementing Viera as a playable race, I wouldn't want to hear a bunch whiny posts about it for years on end either.
    The issue was never 'can they make a model with digitigrade feet'. The issue is modifying every boot armor piece in the game for said feet. Square tends to play it safe and has to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing many things so I'm still not sure if we'll see them going and adding a race that'd require a decent amount of work from their artists.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2017-10-20 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    The issue was never 'can they make a model with digitigrade feet'. The issue is modifying every boot armor piece in the game for said feet. Square tends to play it safe and has to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing many things so I'm still not sure if we'll see them going and adding a race that'd require a decent amount of work from their artists.
    While I see your point, they're not locked into creating/ recreating boot armor that fits that foot shape. There are other options. I'm not saying it would be easy, but less work than what you're describing. WoW places bands or anklets on races where wearing boots/ footwear is not practical (Tauren, Trolls, Pandaren). Perhaps they could go down a similar route.

They could re-purpose the Miqo'te head gear to have holes instead of pointy ears and just let the ears show through. Again, not saying it would be easy, but they could use the assets they already have and tweak them rather than create all new ones and save some time.

As you said though whether they choose to do the work, regardless of how little or how much that may be, is another matter entirely.

I'm not convinced they'll make a playable race out of it, nor would I be surprised if they don't make Fran in the story to keep people from begging for it to be added, but that shouldn't keep them from making ONE Viera to use in the story if it makes sense.

While I see your point, they're not locked into creating/ recreating boot armor that fits that foot shape. There are other options. I'm not saying it would be easy, but less work than what you're describing. WoW places bands or anklets on races where wearing boots/ footwear is not practical (Tauren, Trolls, Pandaren). Perhaps they could go down a similar route.

They could re-purpose the Miqo'te head gear to have holes instead of pointy ears and just let the ears show through. Again, not saying it would be easy, but they could use the assets they already have and tweak them rather than create all new ones and save some time.

As you said though whether they choose to do the work, regardless of how little or how much that may be, is another matter entirely.

I'm not convinced they'll make a playable race out of it, nor would I be surprised if they don't make Fran in the story to keep people from begging for it to be added, but that shouldn't keep them from making ONE Viera to use in the story if it makes sense.
    They could go the WoW route to a point though a big change I like in Legion is Blizzard adding geosets to armor so now tauren, trolls and etc. are getting actual foot armor (looking forward to what new tech they show at Blizzcon)

The main thing with FF14 is that the races don't vary much from a base model which makes designing armor far easier (compared to WoWs 26 unique models) and is why the Au Ra are more or less altered Miqo'te. They do some racial variation like you mentioned with ears but in other areas have stopped doing said variation. For example they almost never take tails into account now days when ARR gear did in many cases.

I guess in the end it'd come down to if they think its worth the time investment.

I could see them simply going the route of, like I said, elvaan-esque bodies with bunny ears and the Hydaelyn viera don't have the different feet.

So essentially elvaan with bunny ears. That's not exactly that far off from what viera look like anyway imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I didn't know the seahorse boss actually had some localization errors that are actually bad. Apparently the Hydro pull / push text got reversed in English...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    So, I didn't know the seahorse boss actually had some localization errors that are actually bad. Apparently the Hydro pull / push text got reversed in English...
    People are crying its an error, but I don't believe it is. Just like the 2nd boss of Temple of the Fist using Fore and Aft, Port and Star. I think the kelpie boss is intentionally opposite because kelpies are fey, they are deceivers and liars. In folklore, they will take the form of a horse or female human and entice people o draw near so they can drown them, to eat them. Its flavour text that fits the mythology of the creature.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2017-10-21 at 07:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Hmm? Naah. Text was always correct for me (seen from the perspective of the boss). Oo
    First attack (push) kicks you away, second attack (pull) pulls you to him.

More hilarious fact: I have German text yet it still says push/pull

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm? Naah. Text was always correct for me (seen from the perspective of the boss). Oo
    First attack (push) kicks you away, second attack (pull) pulls you to him.
    No, in English specifically, the ability does the opposite of the name. So if the boss is doing hydropull, its actually doing the push and visa versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    People are crying its an error, but I don't believe it is. Just like the 2nd boss of Temple of the Fist using Fore and Aft, Port and Star. I think the kelpie boss is intentionally opposite because kelpies are fey, they are deceivers and liars. In folklore, they will take the form of a horse or female human and entice people o draw near so they can drown them, to eat them. Its flavour text that fits the mythology of the creature.
    If so, it would be like that in all localisations incl. Japanese client. If it isn't it's a simple error.

15+ Year Old Account
    If so, it would be like that in all localisations incl. Japanese client. If it isn't it's a simple error.
    So for the 2nd boss in temple of the first, what's the name of the attacks where it shoots out an attack either in front/back or left/right side, and you get knocked back and damaged down if you get hit? because afaik, the only client that has it as port and star, fore and aft is english. everyone else has back and front, left and right.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2017-10-21 at 07:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So for the 2nd boss in temple of the first, what's the name of the attacks where it shoots out an attack either in front/back or left/right side, and you get knocked back and damaged down if you get hit? because afaik, the only client that has it as port and star, fore and aft is english. everyone else has back and front, left and right.
    I don't think translators get THAT kind of freedom to the point where they mess with the player.

To be fair though: it's really not a big deal. They could also use fantasy names for the spells that don't give away what they do in any way and we'd learn what they do just the same.

10+ Year Old Account

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yeah, we get front back / left right in JP client.