10+ Year Old Account
    Blade Runner 2049: 10/10

I tried really hard to find flaws but I couldn't. A true audiovisual masterpiece.

Oh here's a flaw: why no VANGELIS? Instead we got Zimmer's run of the mill horncore.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-10-21 at 09:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They are not clapping for the performance or the film. They are clapping for the shared experince, obviously.
    That's not even close to what it is. It's for showing your apppreciation to the performer. And in this case you did it to a white screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    That's not even close to what it is. It's for showing your apppreciation to the performer. And in this case you did it to a white screen.
    It's good we have people to tell us the appropiate use of clapping.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    It's good we have people to tell us the appropiate use of clapping.
    No, we have hundreds of years of culture and conventions of how applauding works. Let us reference, for example, the oxford dictionary for the word applaud "show approval or praise by clapping". Congratulations, you guys just showed your praise or approval to an empty hall / silver screen. Or perhaps it is as you said, you were clapping, not applauding anything. Like a child or a monkey that slams its hands together excitedly. But no, I suppose you just have evolved our culture and brought us back to the primitive stages of development.

No, we have hundreds of years of culture and conventions of how applauding works. Let us reference, for example, the oxford dictionary for the word applaud "show approval or praise by clapping". Congratulations, you guys just showed your praise or approval to an empty hall / silver screen. Or perhaps it is as you said, you were clapping, not applauding anything. Like a child or a monkey that slams its hands together excitedly. But no, I suppose you just have evolved our culture and brought us back to the primitive stages of development.
    You're very passionate in your square thinking. Also, if you think your quote supports that people are just praising an empty screen, you should maybe evolve some abstract thinking yourself.

Geostorm - 5/10. Gerard Butler is slowly becoming nicholas cage 2.0
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Applause is used commonly as expression. People expressing their enjoyment during a shared experience does happen. Regardless if your conception.

There are no rules. People simply express themselves.

Blade Runner 2049 7/10
    Good movie all together. I could have done without Leto's character as fake creepy never sits well with me, and I had trouble shaking the idea that Gosling was reprising his role from Lars and the Real Girl. I felt that some of the plot points were handled a little too openly and that some of its length could have been saved with ambiguity on a couple points. CGI cameo was also a let down.

But everything else was great. I loved the sets and the apocalyptic scenery. Fight choreography wasn't too flashy or too dull, letting conflict end abruptly when needed. Pacing was great.

And Robin Wright should be in everything just to make it a little better.

IT - 6/10

If the original IT was Doom 1993, IT 2017 is Doom 3. That's literally the best way I can describe it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fu3lman View Post
    IT - 6/10

If the original IT was Doom 1993, IT 2017 is Doom 3. That's literally the best way I can describe it.
    Not Doom 2016?

does anime movie still count? anyway:

Koe no Katachi - 5/10 to 10/10, mixed ratings for me

Geostorm 1/10

Terrible movie. Total schlock.

Only the Brave 2/10

Total schmaltz. There is some nice cinematography and direction. But this is a bunch of manipulative and cheap writing and acting.

The Snowman 1/10

Under developed script, unambitious direction and super bad acting. Fassbender is atrocious.

Deleted
    Blade Runner 2049 - Probably a 8. It had holographic waifus. And a Finnish prostitute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lady Macbeth - 8/10

A razor sharp narrative that pulls back the veneer of civility and restraint, revealing the animal underneath.

Saw Tucker & Dale vs Evil which I've been meaning to see for ages.

It was decent, I think I like the concept better than the execution. As in, it was a really good idea which they did a so-so job of serving. Overall, okayish movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fu3lman View Post
    IT - 6/10

My wife saw it and said that although everything in it was technically fine and sound, she thought it was a total nothing of a movie. Is that what you mean?

Personally I feel like I'm the only person on earth who was totally underwhelmed by Doom 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Saw Tucker & Dale vs Evil which I've been meaning to see for ages.

It was decent, I think I like the concept better than the execution. As in, it was a really good idea which they did a so-so job of serving. Overall, okayish movie.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife saw it and said that although everything in it was technically fine and sound, she thought it was a total nothing of a movie. Is that what you mean?

Personally I feel like I'm the only person on earth who was totally underwhelmed by Doom 3.
    Just one jump scare after another accompanied by loud.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wonder Woman (2017) - 6/10

I really wish the movie had been broken up into two separate movies: Wonder Woman origin story, Wonder Woman vs Ares.

Beyond that, I thought the consolidation of the mini-party was relatively rushed and lacked any real kind of originality. The camaraderie was felt forced in almost every scene that the group was in. If the group was developed in a separate film dealing only with the Ares issue there would have been time to develop the internal ties in a more believable, more meaningful, way.

I gave it a slightly lower than average rating (based on my rating history) but I wouldn't tell people to not watch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Watched these a couple weeks ago but didn't think to post about them.

Arrival 8/10
    Excellent and innovative science fiction film with some really interesting concepts and great, understated performances. It's very slow and methodical, which I really appreciated in contrast with most modern films. Well shot and directed, though it probably could have been edited down a tad. My only real complaint with the film is the framing device, which quickly became predictable, endeavored to tug at the heart strings but really just left me wishing that the film would have focused more on the practical applications of the science and how it affected the world, especially during the ending, which left me feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Blade Runner 2049 9/10

I probably need to watch it a second time. I really enjoyed it, and it's definitely better than the original in terms of actually telling an interesting and well-rounded story and having better performances. Actually probably Ford's best performance in... decades, maybe? It feels a bit closer in tone and theme to the original novel, while obviously building on the world of the film and incorporating some more modern technology like augmented reality and drones. Some amazing setpieces and just the right amount of action to keep things interesting, with plenty of slower moments that allow you to take in the intricately detailed world. I enjoyed that they leap-frogged the philosophical and moral quandries of the original film and pushed into more interesting terrain. Also glad that they basically lampshaded the whole "is Deckard is a replicant?" thing, while still leaving it ambiguous.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2017-10-24 at 12:08 AM.

Uhhhh I was looking for a movie to watch (days ago, I've been super busy recently) and I checked a bookmark I had saved of the best mindfuck movies (because I was in the mood for the genre and I exhausted the lists @hellhamster and @Everything Nice gave me.

So I watched Twelve Monkeys (1995 or 96) on desktop a few days ago.

The surprise wasn't that surprising. The movie felt pretty...90s...like, the audio was lul (they played the same tune for any "surprise" part of the movie, even where it didn't fit, probably because it was made just for the movie). The camerawork/production was meh.

The plot itself was very obvious.
    The story was garbage compared to how cool Looper's setup was. They probably could have explored it more.

I feel like the character interactions were supposed to be the thing to make it all worthwhile, but it wasn't that fun to watch. Like it's not that it was bad or boring, but it was lackluster and everyone basically just acted out what you'd think they were going to do. Like, if you saw a school play of something famous you already say: you're basically just watching the motions get acted out in a dull environment.

0/10. It's pretty much a waste of valuable life to watch. I think I would rather literally stare at a wall and fantasize or think about nothing than watch the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I'm tryna' watch another non-mainstream horror movie like The Witch or something. Something with good production that doesn't need to have a good ending or cater to the average theater-going audience. (or a fucking surprise jumpscare ending "oh wowz tha killer was actually still in the backseat of your car wow what a twist ending lul".)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Uhhhh I was looking for a movie to watch (days ago, I've been super busy recently) and I checked a bookmark I had saved of the best mindfuck movies (because I was in the mood for the genre and I exhausted the lists @hellhamster and @Everything Nice gave me.

So I watched Twelve Monkeys (1995 or 96) on desktop a few days ago.

The surprise wasn't that surprising. The movie felt pretty...90s...like, the audio was lul (they played the same tune for any "surprise" part of the movie, even where it didn't fit, probably because it was made just for the movie). The camerawork/production was meh.

The plot itself was very obvious.
    The story was garbage compared to how cool Looper's setup was. They probably could have explored it more.

I feel like the character interactions were supposed to be the thing to make it all worthwhile, but it wasn't that fun to watch. Like it's not that it was bad or boring, but it was lackluster and everyone basically just acted out what you'd think they were going to do. Like, if you saw a school play of something famous you already say: you're basically just watching the motions get acted out in a dull environment.

0/10. It's pretty much a waste of valuable life to watch. I think I would rather literally stare at a wall and fantasize or think about nothing than watch the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I'm tryna' watch another non-mainstream horror movie like The Witch or something. Something with good production that doesn't need to have a good ending or cater to the average theater-going audience. (or a fucking surprise jumpscare ending "oh wowz tha killer was actually still in the backseat of your car wow what a twist ending lul".)
    Gerald's Game or 1922 both on netflix and made by netflix.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?