Deleted
    do u guys think blizz would do something special with wows 10th expansion simply cuz its number 10?
    since were going onto 8 now, were close

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphano View Post
    do u guys think blizz would do something special with wows 10th expansion simply cuz its number 10?
    since were going onto 8 now, were close
    But the 10th ecpansion wouldn't be 10.0
    And 8.0 is the 7th expansion
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    Thank you all guys. So the kul tiras thing is... a thing, apparently. I heard from nobbel about, interesting being still there. The rest is ok, I saw some leaks most likely fake, but it's way too easy giving fake leaks with the silithus wound around. IMo has Written "OLD GOD STUFF RIGHT HERE" on the forehead. whats' the story about the zandalari stuff leaked? I red some leaks about zandalari joining horde, is there really some zandalari stuff datamined? And tortolla what?
    Tortolla is the turtle god, and my mistake.

I meant Tortollans. A race of turtle-people from Heathstone's Journey to Ungoro expansion.

(And honestly, one of the few potential race additions in 8.0 I'd be excited for)

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Tortollan
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    But the 10th ecpansion wouldn't be 10.0
    And 8.0 is the 7th expansion
    oh, right. xP kappa

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Tortolla is the turtle god, and my mistake.

I meant Tortollans. A race of turtle-people from Heathstone's Journey to Ungoro expansion.

(And honestly, one of the few potential race additions in 8.0 I'd be excited for)

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Tortollan
    Ahahah I agree, I know them, playing some hs, and could be interesting. But they seems to have too little background, perhaps. And Un'goro is not a good point as starting zone. Sure would be original.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    BUAHAHAHAAAA. Carefully polished my ass. Sure appart from several years worth of timeline jumps sometimes inside a single zones, clippin issues, crossbow bolts firing from your chest and a class design that most of the community is unsatisfied with sure it is very polished. And the lore is super consistent.
    Oh boy, you just sound like an giant ass. Even if you don't like WoW, Mr. Armchair-Dev, it is indeed one of the most carefully polished MMORPGs. So please, fuck you

Quote Originally Posted by Directionalk9 View Post
    1 a sub-race should feel "special" to play
    I really think this is key, because it's been how Blizzard has been treating new features in recent years. Even when they turn out controversial, they definitely tried to make them feel special or distinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Subraces could be handled perfectly in an expansion that revisits the old world. Then you can actually treat them like new races instead and have them have starting zones.
    That's actually a good point. I thought about editing in a little comment to my last post, but there were already enough replies by that point that I decided to wait.

If subraces do happen, Blizzard will want to go all out. And going all out could mean that a night elf subrace (high elves) doesn't start in the same place as normal night elves, whether that be Northshire or somewhere completely new (before Dalaran came back for Legion, I thought a new Dalaran would be a good place for high elves). This would also work out for something like Zandalar trolls, which should have a new model and are one of the things I think Blizzard knows people would want out of "subraces", but would be jarring to start alongside the original trolls.

It's weird to imagine in the current character creation system, but that would almost certainly be overhauled if we get subraces (and even if we don't). "Starting zone" could even end up being a big label on a new system if that became relevant.

Of course, this is all going off on things that we have no particular reason to expect, but I think this logic applies to anything that might be coming. It's why I don't expect Blizzard to shy away from challenging or unlikely new races at this point either. Which isn't to say we should get unrealistic expectations or hopes either, just that we shouldn't dismiss something out of hand because it takes a little extra work or is unprecedented on some level.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2017-10-21 at 07:38 PM.

For subraces having world scaling and phasing they could even downscale zones and add a few quests to set up a small story then move you to current starting zones. Without having to really rebuild much of anything. That is if they are working on World wide scaling.

For example-Taunka start in Pandaria have you fight off some of the Mantid. Meet with the chief. Have a conversastion about how after the events of pandaria and the invasion of the legion that your tribe is on the verge of collapse and need to seek allys if you are to survive. Take a wyrven to mulgore and start from the village area. Ect...

Even if they dont have add any ingame quests or lore. I think most people wouldn't really care as long as they could change around for free at the barber shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, as impossible as it sounds, I'd love to see Saurok and Tortollans added as the new races.

According to Journey to Ungoro (which would have to become at least tangentially canon for this to work) both exist in Un'goro.

Which is right next to Silithus, baking in multiple potential explanations for them joining the Horde/Alliance either via C'thun or via The Wound.

Plus Saurok, if Ungoro isn't used, can easily have settled on a random South Sea island since Pandaria is right by there. Maybe they were found at the same time the Pandaren were found?

Heck, Tortollans are a blank slate and could be plopped wherever Blizz wants.

ACTUALLY, reading over the Tortollans on the wiki, it could also explain the mysterious change of Cat Form to no longer mention cat. Since Tortollans have a druid-like class that shapeshifts into dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    I really think this is key, because it's been how Blizzard has been treating new features in recent years. Even when they turn out controversial, they definitely tried to make them feel special or distinct.

That's actually a good point. I thought about editing in a little comment to my last post, but there were already enough replies by that point that I decided to wait.

If subraces do happen, Blizzard will want to go all out. And going all out could mean that a night elf subrace (high elves) doesn't start in the same place as normal night elves, whether that be Northshire or somewhere completely new (before Dalaran came back for Legion, I thought a new Dalaran would be a good place for high elves). This would also work out for something like Zandalar trolls, which should have a new model and are one of the things I think Blizzard knows people would want out of "subraces", but would be jarring to start alongside the original trolls.

It's weird to imagine in the current character creation system, but that would almost certainly be overhauled if we get subraces (and even if we don't). "Starting zone" could even end up being a big label on a new system if that became relevant.

Of course, this is all going off on things that we have no particular reason to expect, but I think this logic applies to anything that might be coming. It's why I don't expect Blizzard to shy away from challenging or unlikely new races at this point either.
    Agreed, I don't get what precedence people are looking at to assume that blizzard takes the lazy way out with new expansion features. The big majority of new races had their lore tailored to make them more unique, 2 out of 3 classes had new starting areas when other game companies would have simply thrown them in their race's lvl 1 area with no explanation. I really fail to see blizzard implementing any new feature such as "sub-races" without giving them any relevance... Hell, some people seem to expect a draenei to be able to become a broken through the barbershop.

I also think sub-races don’t fit with certain expac themes, we are most likely fighting Void next, probably not the best time to add them. If say an expansion (my dream) was about faction conflict, that would be a better time.
    Last edited by Directionalk9; 2017-10-21 at 07:40 PM.

As much as I'd like to see Tortollan, my friend pointed out the issues with armor(cloaks especially) they'd have with their shells. This could be a deal breaker(like Naga and legs), but could be worked around, guess it depends on big the shells are.

- - - Updated - - -

I also think sub-races don’t fit with certain expac themes, we are most likely fighting Void next, probably not the best time to add them. If say an expansion (my dream) was about faction conflict, that would be a better time.
    If anything, its the perfect time to add subraces. All races coming together to fight the ultimate evil, the Old Gods and Void Lords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aettis View Post
    As much as I'd like to see Tortollan, my friend pointed out the issues with armor(cloaks especially) they'd have with their shells. This could be a deal breaker(like Naga and legs), but could be worked around, guess it depends on big the shells are.
    Good point. Though honestly it might be an easier fix than Naga legs while riding a Goblin Trike.

Blizz could model the shell seperately from the actual character model. So the shell sits over the armor, and then the cloak goes over the shell.

Since hunch-back cloaks are nothing new to Blizz.

According to Journey to Ungoro (which would have to become at least tangentially canon for this to work) both exist in Un'goro.
    Personally, I consider Hearthstone to be "broad strokes" canon, and something tells me Blizzard does too even if they won't say it. Hearthstone definitely takes a much more comedic take on things and obviously you can't just assume any specifics, but it's also been a place where they can justify fleshing out things here and there that they don't have time for in World of Warcraft. For instance, considering Gadgetzan's official place in lore, Hearthstone seems to much better represent the idea than the useless, relatively tiny place it is in-game.
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Agreed, I don't get what precedence people are looking at to assume that blizzard takes the lazy way out with new expansion features. The big majority of new races had their lore tailored to make them more unique, 2 out of 3 classes had new starting areas when other game companies would have simply thrown them in their race's lvl 1 area with no explanation. I really fail to see blizzard implementing any new feature such as "sub-races" without giving them any relevance... Hell, some people seem to expect a draenei to be able to become a broken through the barbershop.
    The funny thing is, I kinda hope there will be some way to make a subrace through the barbershop. Maybe not literally (a free token of some kind if a transition becomes a cash shop thing would be another way), but it would really suck for people who have been roleplaying highborne or Wildhammer dwarves since Cataclysm and now get told they have to start over, especially since that wasn't an entirely unreasonable way to play.
    I also think sub-races don’t fit with certain expat themes, we are most likely fighting Void next, probably not the best time to add them. If say an expansion (my dream) was about faction conflict, that would be a better time.
    True, but to be fair, a Void expansion could easily have yet another "this is such a big threat that everyone needs to unite" theme that could easily be used to justify bringing in races from around the world that haven't been too relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    How deep into the screwy season are we? Terran tweeted himself in an Illidan shirt that didn't have the Legion logo and I went all "Zoom, enhance" on it just to find out it's the BC logo.

Deleted
    I don't think faction conflict will ever be at the absolute center. They sort of tried that with Cataclysm, but it failed because it became too predictable. One village lost on one side, another at the other side. Magni turned to stone and Cairne dead. Since both factions are playable and they want to avoid the stigma of faction bias it will have to be balanced. Which takes away the excitement.

They also tried cold war like stuff with MoP, but the morale ended up being, don't ever bring war to places where there isn't any.

Faction war is way too messy to be at the center stage.

The funny thing is, I kinda hope there will be some way to make a subrace through the barbershop. Maybe not literally (a free token of some kind if a transition becomes a cash shop thing would be another way), but it would really suck for people who have been roleplaying highborne or Wildhammer dwarves since Cataclysm and now get told they have to start over, especially since that wasn't an entirely unreasonable way to play.

Or they could include a free race change with the expansion instead of a level boost this time.
    Last edited by mmoc38dc10fd5b; 2017-10-21 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I consider Hearthstone to be "broad strokes" canon, and something tells me Blizzard does too even if they won't say it. Hearthstone definitely takes a much more comedic take on things and obviously you can't just assume any specifics, but it's also been a place where they can justify fleshing out things here and there that they don't have time for in World of Warcraft. For instance, considering Gadgetzan's official place in lore, Hearthstone seems to much better represent the idea than the useless, relatively tiny place it is in-game.
    True, I consider it at least exaggerated canon myself. Especially after the League of Explorers ended up all showing up in Legion. Yes, even the Murloc.

True, but to be fair, a Void expansion could easily have yet another "this is such a big threat that everyone needs to unite" theme that could easily be used to justify bringing in races from around the world that haven't been too relevant.
    TBH I don't think they will do a "we all need to unite" theme again. Blizz got enough flak for how awkwardly the whole faction war thing was handled, and calls for them to give up on the warfare and just unite the faction continue. My guess is they go to one of two extremes next expansion. Either full faction merger, or they go full faction war a'la MoP.

Good point. Though honestly it might be an easier fix than Naga legs while riding a Goblin Trike.

Blizz could model the shell seperately from the actual character model. So the shell sits over the armor, and then the cloak goes over the shell.

Since hunch-back cloaks are nothing new to Blizz.

naga are doable. tortollan are doable, though i'd prefer that elephant race from the art contest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    https://new3.fjcdn.com/pictures/Naga_a30267_1769275.jpg[/img]

naga are doable. tortollan are doable, though i'd prefer that elephant race from the art contest.
    Elephant Race? You mean Faceless Ones? Or did I miss something?

Also my issue with that Naga fix is it basically requires them to code special mount animations for every possible ground mount in the game.

Deleted

TBH I don't think they will do a "we all need to unite" theme again. Blizz got enough flak for how awkwardly the whole faction war thing was handled, and calls for them to give up on the warfare and just unite the faction continue. My guess is they go to one of two extremes next expansion. Either full faction merger, or they go full faction war a'la MoP.
    Or they do away with factions altogether. That is mostly the same as faction merger but instead everyone liking each other it is everyone hating each other.