Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    I did it as a Warrior, Paladin and DK. Paladin was by far the hardest one, took me more tries than the other two combined.

Tip: The Gronntooth War Horn is great if you happen to have it. The uptime is massive due to all the adds you have to kill.
    ive done it with that equiped and not. same results 1% wipes with knock offs out of nowhere or surprise npc deaths. its just stupidly overtooned for my class specially considering the amount of gear I have aquired from attempt one till now.

- - - Updated - - -

I did it as a Warrior, Paladin and DK. Paladin was by far the hardest one, took me more tries than the other two combined.

Tip: The Gronntooth War Horn is great if you happen to have it. The uptime is massive due to all the adds you have to kill.
    ive done it with that equiped and not. same results 1% wipes with knock offs out of nowhere or surprise npc deaths. its just stupidly overtooned for my class specially considering the amount of gear I have aquired from attempt one till now.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I hear you. Almost all of my wipes happened due to Smash, since the fight is comparatively quite long for Paladins. I did it at about 914 equipped. My overall strategy: dpsing until about 7 stacks each time, always killing eyes ASAP so I could properly focus on the other stuff, and rarely ever using orbs on the first phase. On all of my Kruul kills I had an orb ready for the last few % to get a clean finisher.

Art by draken4o

I hear you. Almost all of my wipes happened due to Smash, since the fight is comparatively quite long for Paladins. I did it at about 914 equipped. My overall strategy: dpsing until about 7 stacks each time, always killing eyes ASAP so I could properly focus on the other stuff, and rarely ever using orbs on the first phase. On all of my Kruul kills I had an orb ready for the last few % to get a clean finisher.
    its just lame that vellen and the demon hunter cant kill him at 1% they just stand there with their hands in their pockets while he slowly takes about 30 seconds to kill them.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    its just lame that vellen and the demon hunter cant kill him at 1% they just stand there with their hands in their pockets while he slowly takes about 30 seconds to kill them.
    them killing him with 1% left after i was killed is how i got it. maybe getting smashed off the platform causes them to evade, idk.

It's been said a whole lot but either wait until you have the gear to make it trivial, or practice. If you can't just burst Variss down, there's an awful lot going on to worry about and the only way you're going to progress is to mash your face into things and get a rhythm going. I don't think your legendaries matter too much, I really don't. I've seen the things people have come up with to make their setup work for them, and plenty of those are all over this thread. Personally I did it with wrists/talent ring, but I got the wrists only after I was already making it to Kruul with some regularity anyway. They just made what was becoming reliable already that much moreso. The talent ring was probably the biggest help for obvious reasons - Having both Vengeance and Booming voice is a nice quality of life improvement for our class. But really, my warrior is my alt. I'm a raid weary raid leader, so I don't raid on him often. Mainly use him to sub in if one of our mains has an emergency. As such, I did it with no active set bonuses or anything. Just a lot of practice.

I personally like to leave eyes up while getting good rounds of dps on Variss, waiting on adds, then either cleaving them down on top of him if I have sufficiently low stacks, or doing it just outside of the debuff zone if they're getting up there. I ran shockwave so, again, that's down to preference. Either one might be harder or easier for you, and there are big bonuses to both. There's no harm in experimenting while you're practicing. Part of the rhythm you have to find is also VR usage. Not wasting them, holding an add just a little longer while waiting on a cast to heal from. Just stuff you'll pick up as you practice. When all dps CDs and Horrors are down, I get to the eyes while stacks drop and take one down after each cast to maximize the helpfulness of VR and save orbs for oh shit moments. I didn't do the excessive orb hoarding I see so many do, but I tried to always have one in reserve. On my kill I think I was keeping 2 up at all times, sometimes 3. Not by plan, but the flow of the fight had become routine enough that they just started accumulating.

I use a simple weak aura, and I wish I could remember where I got it considering all the infernal troubles I see here but it was a long time ago, that just played a squeaky toy sound when Smash was coming. Look around, I'm sure there are tons of similar things. It mostly helped early on though, because after a while that fact of always be moving (and not in a straight line, obviously) becomes so ingrained that you definitely aren't listening for the noise anymore. Knockoffs will be your biggest killer as you progress farther though, so an alarm of sorts is a good idea, especially while learning the encounter. My kill had 3 up.

Kruul himself just takes actually seeing him enough times, like any other boss fight. There isn't nearly as much to watch for and while RNG CAN screw you here (the only attempt I had that I truly felt like it was unfair, or I was cheated, had me get an Annihilate and a jump, back to back, before he cast Twisting so my ability to bounce back was pretty laughable, but it only happened once and well before I'd gotten good enough to have extra orbs up for just such moments), most of the time it's all in your hands. If you're anything like me, the actual fact of getting to him will have you so frantic that you almost immediately fuck up the first few times, but once that wears off, things should fall into place for you. One thing I did when I realized I was just going to have to spend some time on Kruul and get used to this big shift in the fight was use my drums on pull to blast through Variss, knowing it would end in a wipe, but just to get more time face to face with Kruul and get that part of the fight down in my head.

But again, it's whatever works for you. And practice. If you're not doing or can't do the burst strat, there's a lot going on I know, and it can be pretty discouraging, but mashing your face into it is about the most effective advice anyone can give you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisxor View Post
    I haven't tanked since BC; tanking then was a lot different. When blizz changed their philosophy on tanking I stopped tanking. Being a tank then was about holding aggro, taking damage and surviving. I'm literally doing the challenge for completion sakes at this point
    Urgh dont remind me of tanking in BC. We've come a long way since then, for the better. I no longer feel bored to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    them killing him with 1% left after i was killed is how i got it. maybe getting smashed off the platform causes them to evade, idk.
    Pretty sure they do evade if you are launched off the platform. Use a goblin glider in an emergency to prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    Pretty sure they do evade if you are launched off the platform. Use a goblin glider in an emergency to prevent it.
    I wish I knew about gliders during my attempts. Would've shaved 50 wipes right off.

Quote Originally Posted by nicbizz View Post
    I wish I knew about gliders during my attempts. Would've shaved 50 wipes right off.
    If you're an engineer, you can also use the frag belt tinker to serve as an emergency stun/interrupt. Unlike nitro, it doesnt (or at least didn't when I did the challenge) share a cd with your combat potion.