Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yes, i would play on a legacy server. I would play a troll shadow priest on a bc server. I'm missing the old shadow priest a lot, and also the old racial abilities. I remember how furious i was when the changed the shadow priest in Wotlk to an ordinary caster (shadow mage).
    In my opinion, classic WoW and also BC had stronger RPG-elements than later expansions. I'm coming from table-top rpg such as AD&D, and i'm not too happy about the fact, that rpg elements disappeared more and more from the game over time.
    Last edited by Sizzlestat; 2017-10-22 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    No. I enjoyed past expansions, sure. I really dislike legion, and I hated wod. The last time I had an all around enjoyable time in the game was MoP, and that's probably why I don't really play that much anymore.

I hate the idea of legacy servers, because what's the point? The game has moved on, and people should too. If you really dislike WoW so much currently you just want to play in a server locked at one specific point in time for the game, the just stop playing. I hate that argument, but it's ultimately the most accurate one in this case.

It's an incredibly small group that even wants the legacy servers, so I really don't understand why anyone thinks blizzard should cater to that group anyways.
    Why can't I enjoy both current WoW and vanilla servers? Is that really so impossible to fathom?

Also you have no numbers whatsoever on how big or small any given group of the community is, so don't pretend you do. Fucking hate when people do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Is it really so hard for you to believe that some people actually do like the old game better for legitimate reasons?
    Is it really so hard to believe that the existence of Legacy servers has absolutely no purpose other than to divide an already divided gaming community? I don't give a shit what people "like" or "liked," I give a shit about the sustainability of the community of the game as it is right now. And if you introduce Legacy to the current community, it'd be a disaster on many, many levels.

Because it's not the same, for instance they removed ZG, lvl 60 Naxx, and Onyxia as lvl 60 raids. They removed ZA as a level 70 Raid. Lock a toon at level 60 or level 70 won't bring these raids back. I also Loved the original Sunken Temple, and could navigate myself and a full group with no issue. Now, it's just a shell of an instance.

yes because now everything is only go fast as possible to get loot

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzlestat View Post
    Yes, i would play on a legacy server. I would play a troll shadow priest on a bc server. I'm missing the old shadow priest a lot, and also the old racial abilities. I remember how furious i was when the changed the shadow priest in Wotlk to an ordinary caster (shadow mage).
    See there is the core issue ... every player wants to play at x patch in y expansion ( or pure vanilla ) you people are not asking for 1 server you are asking for the servers that fit what you want.

People also asking for mod support of that version and full GM support ... this is not that simple

So no.

Come back when then *vanilla* *community* agrees on 1 version they want and agree on that never being updated to any other version ( this include pve and pvp )

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Personally I love Legion, but let's face it, the game has become a lot more cookie cutter with each and every year...

A lot of people might scream "Rose tinted glasses", but I've played on vanilla private servers, and there is enjoyment to be found in going back to the basics. Back when you didn't just rush through the levelling, back when the levelling content was one of the main focuses of the game, and not just a hurdle you have to go through to get to max level. I miss the old zones, I feel like Cataclysm destroyed (literally) a lot of them. Stranglethorn Vale and The Barrens were incredible because they were fucking huge. Duskwood was genuinely scary because if you ventured too far into the woods, you would find a gigantic dragon. Even walking along the path you would have to be careful, before you know it a huge lumbering abomination was chasing you down... Certain quests required you to actually make groups. Not quickly refresh the group finder and join a random auto invite group, but actual people you interacted with.

I'm not saying it should replace or stand in the way of WoW's progression. But why can't it exist alongside it? Give everyone what they want.

The main flaw of most private servers is that the population is not very high. But if Blizzard made official legacy servers, I'm sure a lot of people would play them. Hell, they might even get players who quit the game to come back.

What do you think? Would you play on official vanilla legacy servers if they announced them at Blizzcon?
    i wouldnt for one reason - i simply wouldnt have time to spend on both legacy and current and there is so much to do in legion ad without doubtthere will be even more in 8.0after they seen how well it worked in legion

7+ Year Old Account
    Yep I totally would, and even would pay an extra fee per year or month to have access to these special realms.

No I wouldnt, the vanity would vanish within hours for me when realizing how much the game improved over the years. Its like going back to some older games I really liked for my PS1, its just not the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. The GAME sucked.
    It was shiny and new, and many people’s first MMO

If it were to happen, I imagine a significant portion of the people who tried it would stop before they hit max level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

i might try them on an alt or something like that, but i'll quickly remember the grind and how awful it is and how the end of the grind is more or less the end of the fun part of vanilla. vanilla was paced so terribly because when it first came out there was not much to do at the end game, so the entire game was leveling more or less at launch.

so i might try it for the rose colored glasses feel, but i cant see it being that fun. i do see it being fun watching others who never played vanilla realize how difficult and unrewarding the majority of the gameplay was, really low lows and really high highs, the unfortunate part is the highs almost always required a group or a lot of time spent.

overall i think it is a stupid idea and i doubt many people would play it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Is it really so hard to believe that the existence of Legacy servers has absolutely no purpose other than to divide an already divided gaming community? I don't give a shit what people "like" or "liked," I give a shit about the sustainability of the community of the game as it is right now. And if you introduce Legacy to the current community, it'd be a disaster on many, many levels.
    If you think "it'd be a disaster on many, many levels" then you are agreeing with the fact that people loved "old wow" and that many would join legacy servers.

If you are afraid Vanilla servers would divide the community...that's admitting the current game is "shit for many people"
    That's admitting "many would quit current WoW to play on old servers"

Why can't you be happy about the fact that it could bring many players who have quit?
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-10-22 at 05:57 PM.

No, I simply don't have the time I had when I was a kid.

Nope I'd rather level an alt on live that play legacy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure. Once the novelty wore off I’d go back to current content.

Vanilla, probably not. TBC? Maybe, if my friends play it. They are expansions where you really need to play with a group of friends, or a larger community to really fully appreciate them. If they did happen also it would be a system shock for a lot of players, TBC was a massive time sink early on and people will be hit by how much threat and bullshit mechanics dominate the gameplay... But once you get past those aspects there isn't a lot there, which means that raid bosses will drop like flies and people will be raging on the forums about how some top guild with players 100x better and more dedicated than them has cleared all the content 15 minutes after it launches, because it's about 20% as difficult as Legion once you get past the bullshit.

Being real though, Blizzard aren't even considering legacy servers so we're stuck with pay to win private servers, and it's probably for the best.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-10-22 at 06:02 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I'd play on a TBC or Wrath legacy server. I loved Vanilla, but I wouldn't want to deal with the grind that leveling/gearing involved.

Piss poor graphics? Outdated combat? Broken, poorly designed quest? Mindlessly out of balance specs?...

Keep the difficulty and flavor but improve those..

Deleted
    No, I’d never play vanilla again. Once was enough

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Vanilla, probably not. TBC? Maybe, if my friends play it. They are expansions where you really need to play with a group of friends, or a larger community to really fully appreciate them. If they did happen also it would be a system shock for a lot of players, TBC was a massive time sink early on and people will be hit by how much threat and bullshit mechanics dominate the gameplay... But once you get past those aspects there isn't a lot there, which means that raid bosses will drop like flies and people will be raging on the forums about how some top guild with players 100x better and more dedicated than them has cleared all the content 15 minutes after it launches, because it's about 20% as difficult as Legion once you get past the bullshit.

Being real though, Blizzard aren't even considering legacy servers so we're stuck with pay to win private servers, and it's probably for the best.
    Ion himself has said that they're discussing legacy servers, mainly how they would implement them and how it would work. I have no reason to believe he would lie about that.