Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Just because some of us say "No, I wouldn't" or copy / paste long posts of why it likely won't happen - doesn't mean they are opposed to them.

Honestly, I just wish Blizzard would do them and get my popcorn out to...just like with everything...watch the shitstorm about the implementation

From "what version number?" (clean release Vanilla from November 2004 or the last version when Naxx was out?) to "OMFG where is my Italian RP-PvP Vanilla realm" to "WTF...I need to PAY for it"? ...and let us not forget "When will they ever fix xyz?"

So..yeah..I wouldn't play on them...and I am not opposed to them.
    Not saying everyone who says no does but there are people who will go out of their way to dump on the older versions of WoW and say no to Legacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Its not something you should tell your customers but that doesn't make it wrong.

The amount of active players after a month or 2 would be awful.
    We have no source on possible player numbers so let's not speculate. We have no idea how well it will do either way.

And what they said was completely wrong. You do not act like your customers are mindless robots.

Uhhhhhhh........

Ye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I'd play them, but lets be real, it'll never happen. For them to create legacy servers, they first have to admit indirectly or directly that their current game isn't as good. That's not going to happen.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    I've been playing since 2005 and honestly, people look back at Vanilla with such rose-tinted goggles. Yes, the game was great back then but the amount of QoL updates that have been added throughout the years which have solved the gigantic slog some parts of Vanilla were would cause half the people trying to play it to quit within a day.

It's more of a nostalgia factor, if Legacy servers would come out I'd think about playing a WotLK-variant but even that would get stale rather quickly.

I would probably screw around on it for a few and leave, not with the shit class balance that was Vanilla.

I would play Legacy only tbh, but not on a hardcore level, not even close to what it requires in order to play it.

The main issue am having with Legacy is time. I aint in Uni anymore to be able to invest free time into wow, and lets face it, vanilla is a huge timesink, massive grind to reach max lvl and then massive grind to get up to date, not that I don't like it, just no time.

I might play legacy wotlk or mop that were a bit more friendly as expansions when it comes to grinding etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, no. I think the game today is much better than when I started playing. You may not like some things about it today, but the game as a whole is a better game than vanilla was. I don’t hate vanilla content. It was great for its time. I wouldn’t mind a timewalking option that might let us go theough and experience the pre-cata zones again. I wouldn’t mind a scaling option for those who want to try to do those vanilla raids again. I just personally wouldn’t play on a vanilla server because I’ve experienced old WoW and I don’t really feel the need to go back.

Assuming it comes with the base subscription, I'd dick around on them just to revisit the pre-Cata world every now and then, but I wouldn't level very much and no way in hell would I raid. Been there, done that.

If it costs extra, I wouldn't even touch them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Classes and mechanics were much simpler for optimized gameplay back then.
    Plenty whom can't handle Mythic on retail, have Naxx 40 on farm on certain private servers.
    You said LFR player. The average person in LFR doesn't do half of their optimal DPS or HPS. You're moving the goalposts and frankly I think you realize what you said and are now backtracking. I understand people on this forum for the most part are incapable of ever admitting that they are wrong so continuing to converse with you is likely an exercise in futility.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Honestly, I just wish Blizzard would do them and get my popcorn out to...just like with everything...watch the shitstorm about the implementation.

From "what version number?" (clean release Vanilla from November 2004 or the last version when Naxx was out?) to "OMFG where is my Italian RP-PvP Vanilla realm" to "WTF...I need to PAY for it"? ...and let us not forget "When will they ever fix xyz?"
    This is something that doesn't get talked about enough and is partially the basis on Brack's now infamous comment about them. There's as many ideas about what vanilla is as there are people that want this and none of them agree in the details with the others. And what are forums about really other than constant bitching about details?

I'm actually quite sorry that the entire idea of pristine servers didn't fly well although it was completely predictable that the supporters of vanilla realms would have not cared for the idea. There have been plenty of threads here over the years asking for a stiffer game and what they proposed was a summary of most of those requests. No, not vanilla but probably a much more interesting experience to play with than how the current game is viewed. It was a lost opportunity as many of those who would like to see more difficult leveling, no random groups and the rest didn't much speak up.

On a different note: There was a thread about Blizzard vanilla servers from a couple of weeks ago that had a poll asking if people were willing to pay for them. Results ran somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% against last I looked. That's not really an endorsement of the idea. Sure, people are willing to play vanilla servers if they are free. But they won't be free. At best, they'll be free with a valid active subscription to the current version of the game.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-10-22 at 10:04 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I'm not really into legacy servers, but I would welcome a possibility to play the old, pre-cata zones, because of nostalgia. Still, it would only be a few hours now and then, so probably not worth making a fuss about it.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

no, I wouldn't play it even if they made it.

have you ever tried playing a game you liked from 15 years ago on all your 4k hdtv? it's not worth blizzard's time to make something maybe 10 people out of 10 million will like.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't play and pay for a game I already bought and played.

Unless they relaunched the classic box.... but still wouldn't play.

No way. I played Vanilla and every other expansion. Legion is 10 times better than vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    But they're not going to announce anything regarding Crappy Vanilla/Legacy servers... didn't you follow the news?

Quote Originally Posted by adezero View Post
    no, I wouldn't play it even if they made it.

have you ever tried playing a game you liked from 15 years ago on all your 4k hdtv? it's not worth blizzard's time to make something maybe 10 people out of 10 million will like.
    Actually, I do play games like this every now and then (like X-com apocalypse or tomb raider 2-4). but only if new installments aren't really better. But if they are - no point playing oldies. I loved Anno 1602 but will not play it anymore when 1404 and 2070 are so superior.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Vanilla kind of sucks for me; Bad memories of those eternal grinds. But TBC and WOTLK I do look foward.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    You said LFR player. The average person in LFR doesn't do half of their optimal DPS or HPS. You're moving the goalposts and frankly I think you realize what you said and are now backtracking. I understand people on this forum for the most part are incapable of ever admitting that they are wrong so continuing to converse with you is likely an exercise in futility.
    There's no "moving goalposts". Like I said, plenty of people whom can't handle Mythic (LFR players are included), have Naxx on farm on Classic servers.
    LFR players don't do optimal DPS or HPS... and thus, they tackle the easiest content possible. That easiest content is still far more mechanically complex still.
    Back in Classic, players could tackle the highest endgame content whilst having zero clue about optimal gameplay, and see bosses go down.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-10-22 at 10:16 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably play for a couple weeks and then stop playing.

The only nostalgia I hold for vanilla in any capacity is to see zones that were re-made, quest lines that were removed, and perhaps the original Naxx.

Aside from the original Naxx, the other two things I mentioned wouldn't really hold me for all that long. That's not me saying that the old quest lines were better either. There's just a certain part of me that would like to see them as they were once again, and nothing more.

There honestly wasn't much that held me to vanilla even when it was current in the first place. I certainly didn't enjoy the leveling beyond the first time, and I distinctly remember being frustrated having to traverse upwards of 4 zones just to find enough quests to go from 40-50. Raiding (surprise, surprise) was the only thing that truly has kept me in the game for 13 years.

Deleted
    Personally probably not, since I think current/retail WoW consumes enough of my time and I'm raiding with a guild and everything, but I'm not opposed to legacy servers existing. I think there are probably a lot of people out there who would pay to play on an official Blizzard legacy server.

But it's weird, would these legacy servers progress much like live WoW did? Would patches be released like they were the first time round? Would the same bugs be present/fixed as time went on? Try as they might, Blizzard may never be able to replicate that experience because this time we'll see what's coming. Everything is already known. There's no mystery to it, no speculation, no excitement. As hard as it may be for some people to accept, you had to experience it the first time round to... ya know, experience it.

There are some aspects of older iterations of WoW I may miss or look back on fondly, but this is a type of game that can only really move forward. The only way it could really be reset is with a completely new iteration of WoW, such as WoW 2. WoW 2 would have to be different from original WoW, i.e. a completely different game.

Still just because I don't think they'll work out so well doesn't mean I'm against legacy servers existing. I only avoid the pirate ones because I'm so busy with retail WoW and even if I wasn't, those pirate servers can easily be shut down at any time. Why sink hundreds of hours into a character that can easily disappear? At least with retail WoW I know my characters are going to exist for as long as the game servers are up, which will be for many years yet.

If legacy servers are announced (which I seriously doubt) I'd probably create a character, play it very casually. That's assuming they'd be accessible with a standard WoW subscription. I wouldn't pay extra for it, only because I just wouldn't have the extra time to make it even remotely worthwhile. A lot of people who play WoW nowadays have jobs, families, other real life obligations. That's why 1-3 day raiding guilds are way more common than before and even that may be too much for many players. Vanilla WoW was a huge time sink, way grindier than retail WoW is now (yes, really).

Just my random thoughts anyway... carry on.