Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada, Northern Ontario (the French part)

What's the nicest thing a business or restaurant has done for you as an apology.

Kind of a random thought after last night when I ordered pizza. The company I ordered from (Pizza Pizza) has a policy of 50mins or it's free for delivery orders. So 1:15hrs later I called and they didn't even have to ask or anything, the guy just said basically "ok let me check the store you ordered from and see the status. Oh, and that'll be free."

Just like that. I was impressed and pretty damn happy as a customer to be honest.

So what's something that you, or even friends or family have had happen, and the place just totally made up for it. Perhaps even blew you away with their customer service practices?

Deleted
    Ordered a game online (Legion CE) that was delivered to a local warehouse, where I had to pick it up and pay for it.
    Unfortunately, their system had some issues and caused my (foreign) bank card to not be accepted (it worked everywhere else) - after about 40 minutes of them trying to fix it, I had to walk about a kilometer to the next ATM to pick up cash and back. When I got there again, they gave me a free mouse and mouse pad worth like 100$ as an apology.
    I told them that I can't accept that, but they insisted. Definitely some amazing gesture.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-10-22 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxcloud417xx View Post
    Kind of a random thought after last night when I ordered pizza. The company I ordered from (Pizza Pizza) has a policy of 50mins or it's free for delivery orders. So 1:15hrs later I called and they didn't even have to ask or anything, the guy just said basically "ok let me check the store you ordered from and see the status. Oh, and that'll be free."

Just like that. I was impressed and pretty damn happy as a customer to be honest.

So what's something that you, or even friends or family have had happen, and the place just totally made up for it. Perhaps even blew you away with their customer service practices?
    I hope you tipped the delivery guy well. Often they are late due to circumstances they have no control over and then they get payed nil...while still having to pay for their own car and all the costs that come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    I hope you tipped the delivery guy well. Often they are late due to circumstances they have no control over and then they get payed nil...while still having to pay for their own car and all the costs that come with it.
    Pizza Pizza seems to be a chain in Canuckistan. I don't know if tipping is as necessary in that bleak, Hoth-like wasteland as it is in the US.

In all seriousness, yeah, tip the damn pizza guy.

Why would you tip someone for doing what is a part of their job?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Tips are traditional in many countries, it's an appreciation for the waiting staff.

Especially when many times they are paid minimum wage/full time job.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2017-10-22 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Here we go with this same tired, tedious argument.

In the US service workers rely on tips because they are often paid less than minimum wage. this leads to an assumption on many Americans' parts that this is the same in other countries when it's not.

I always tip but zero chance the driver is getting tipped if it took over 1:15 minutes to get a fucking pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by xxcloud417xx View Post

rarely have mistake's at restaurants....they are kinda very good here in the Netherlands. ( generally speaking) Same goes for the US, UK, germany, Belgium...so hard press to find a thing for a apology. There was 1 time i gotten a wrong other and the dish was free. And one time in the US they gave me a wrong dish. The offered the money back, and i could eat the dish that was served wrong or get a replacement and got a free bottle of wine and a dinner coupon......
    Later was explained that they just changed owners , and the old ones where shit and bad yelp etc...so they where trying to change that image...

As for non food....pfff allot of shit there....things that go wrong etc and blame it on me and everyone else. most of the time when i am in the right ( always :P) i get replacement. But my standard computer guy 1 time drove a 1 hour ( while he worked alone after business hours) to bring back my pc with a replacement gpu.
    Or my bike shop....bought a bike there and for being a costumer for 30 years ( first bike when i was 4)..i got 100 euro's off the bike and a free 35 bike lock ( a heavy duty one)

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Tips are traditional in many countries, it's an appreciation for the waiting staff.

Especially when many times they are paid minimum wage/full time job.
    Why should that be any of the customers concern? If I'd tip someone when eating out it would be the cook because they're the ones making the food, the waiter just brings it to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright guys, stop derailing the thread with the tip argument. It's been done.

I spent two weeks home in between my Iraq deployments. I flew back to the states, and the time I told my parents to meet me at the airport and the time the plane landed was actually about 2 hours apart. I called when I landed, parents said they were on their way and to go I think it was Stanford's in the Airport and they would pay for it once they got there. I'm still in desert camo and I have my seabag with me. So I ordered food. Steak, onion rings. Good stuff. Considering how NOT busy the place was, it took way too long to get to me. Steak was undercooked, rings were soggy and cold. Waiter nowhere to be seen. So I took it to the nearest person I could find, explained the situation, and they ran off to the back with it.

Turns out the person I took it to was the manager. He went and got my food done right, brought it out to me personally, and told me that the meal was on him. His son had died in Iraq, and said this was the least he could do to show respect to someone who had managed to survive. Several other staff members came out and said their respects too. I was crying by the time my parents showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    Ordered a game online (Legion CE) that was delivered to a local warehouse, where I had to pick it up and pay for it.
    Unfortunately, their system had some issues and caused my (foreign) bank card to not be accepted (it worked everywhere else) - after about 40 minutes of them trying to fix it, I had to walk about a kilometer to the next ATM to pick up cash and back. When I got there again, they gave me a free mouse and mouse pad worth like 100$ as an apology.
    I told them that I can't accept that, but they insisted. Definitely some amazing gesture.
    Wow! Your life sounds amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

If the store owner paid their staff a living wage, workers wouldn't have to beg for handouts. Go team USA!

- - - Updated - - -

I fucking love tipping threads.

Family went to a semi decent restaurant to celebrate, and after sitting at our table for over 30min, we flagged down a waiter and asked to see the Manager. When he arrived we asked if he minded if we ordered a pizza for delivery while waiting for our Waiter to show up and take our order. After a nervous chuckle he apologized, flagged down a waiter, comped our meal and gave us a voucher for an addition free meal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well when I was 16 this waitress at this restaurant I went to often, accidentally spilled water on me and all over the table. I was drenched feeling awful she offered to clean me off and took me to the back. When we got there she told me I was the chosen one. She had the most beautiful green eyes very seductive. I was captivated by her beauty. Her father owned the place and they were immigrants from Tibet anyways she eventually told me how she felt and got on her knees before me. Then suddenly I realized I’d be late for hockey practice so I rushed out grabbed my gear to get on the local city bus. The fair box was broken so the bus driver let me ride for free and I got a transfer good for 2 hours. That was pretty nice of him.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-10-22 at 11:02 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I bought a pop vinyl off ebay, the package arrived and it looked like someone stomped on it.

I like pops in the original packaging so they go with the rest of my collection.

Ebay seller gave me a full refund and said i could keep the pop as it was to much hassle to return it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Wow! Your life sounds amazing!
    Can confirm her story if you're doubting it. I got the mousepad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    Can confirm her story if you're doubting it. I got the mousepad
    And the game. And almost the mouse.

Was going home on Christmas in like 10 maybe 09, I was stationed in CA at the time, but I liked to fly out of Vegas, because its Vegas and not shit hole LA area. Go to the airport and find out all the flights are cancelled to the North East because of winter weather.
    Now I never throw around that I am or was military, I absolutely hate getting special attention for doing something that I wanted to do. I have normal luggage, etc... I typically fly Continental, mainly because of their customer service and the fact they will cancel or postpone flights for weather (Delta will fly you into a fucking hurricane if you want to commit suicide by terrifying metal winged coffin.) So I go to the reception lady who is giving everyone the tough shit flights are cancelled spiel and giving some of them hotel accommodations if they want or flying them around the country to find that one jump jet that will bring them into the middle of a nor'easter.
    When I get up to the front I'm my usual respectful self, but she sees that I'm military in the system (shows up for luggage purposes, free bags etc...) and she goes on about how shitty it is I'm not going to get home for Christmas on time etc, and I'm just engaging in normal conversation with her talking about how I hadn't been home in 2 years because of training cycles, her family had some military, but back in the 60-70s, etc...
    She then gets real quiet and gets me to lean in, she says that they have special accommodations they can use for first class passengers, and asked me where I wanted to stay on the Strip since the soonest I was going to be able to fly out was 3 days from now. I told her it wasn't necessary I'll just take something simple, near by, so she says MGM Grand than? Again I tell her it's quite alright, I didn't need to be partying my ass off and missing flights, she laughed and then said I got you a room in the Aria which was brand new at the time. She wouldn't take no for an answer, and I spent the next 36 hours partying my ass off in LV before she called me back and told me she bumped someone from a sooner flight and I was good to go at 8pm that night. She had bumped a first class passenger. Not the first or the last time I was bumped into first class by Continental, so I will always fly them, they've always taken care of me at the slightest hint of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by iliyra View Post
    and the game. And almost the mouse.
    :d

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada, Northern Ontario (the French part)
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Was going home on Christmas in like 10 maybe 09, I was stationed in CA at the time, but I liked to fly out of Vegas, because its Vegas and not shit hole LA area. Go to the airport and find out all the flights are cancelled to the North East because of winter weather.
    Now I never throw around that I am or was military, I absolutely hate getting special attention for doing something that I wanted to do. I have normal luggage, etc... I typically fly Continental, mainly because of their customer service and the fact they will cancel or postpone flights for weather (Delta will fly you into a fucking hurricane if you want to commit suicide by terrifying metal winged coffin.) So I go to the reception lady who is giving everyone the tough shit flights are cancelled spiel and giving some of them hotel accommodations if they want or flying them around the country to find that one jump jet that will bring them into the middle of a nor'easter.
    When I get up to the front I'm my usual respectful self, but she sees that I'm military in the system (shows up for luggage purposes, free bags etc...) and she goes on about how shitty it is I'm not going to get home for Christmas on time etc, and I'm just engaging in normal conversation with her talking about how I hadn't been home in 2 years because of training cycles, her family had some military, but back in the 60-70s, etc...
    She then gets real quiet and gets me to lean in, she says that they have special accommodations they can use for first class passengers, and asked me where I wanted to stay on the Strip since the soonest I was going to be able to fly out was 3 days from now. I told her it wasn't necessary I'll just take something simple, near by, so she says MGM Grand than? Again I tell her it's quite alright, I didn't need to be partying my ass off and missing flights, she laughed and then said I got you a room in the Aria which was brand new at the time. She wouldn't take no for an answer, and I spent the next 36 hours partying my ass off in LV before she called me back and told me she bumped someone from a sooner flight and I was good to go at 8pm that night. She had bumped a first class passenger. Not the first or the last time I was bumped into first class by Continental, so I will always fly them, they've always taken care of me at the slightest hint of issues.
    That's fantastic, my dad had a similar story with a holiday flight to Mexico. Flight got overbooked, so he was polite, addressed the lady by name and basically said "you know you're best at what you do, just let me know what you can do." She smiled, gave him first class tickets and said "Now, I'm the best at what I do."

Goes a long way sometimes to just not be the person's next bitchy, shitty customer of the day.