Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    because they could re release the expansions of the game over time thus giving players who never had the oppertuninty to play the game when it was so vastly different the chance to do so, they are being extremley stubborn about the issue in order to force players to have this elitist attitude, literally any player that played the game in vanilla will tell you that current wow sucks. its just the truth.
    If they release expansions they aren't "legacy" servers, now are they? They're just a game that lags behind the current version of WoW by a few years at that point.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

because they could re release the expansions of the game over time thus giving players who never had the oppertuninty to play the game when it was so vastly different the chance to do so, they are being extremley stubborn about the issue in order to force players to have this elitist attitude, literally any player that played the game in vanilla will tell you that current wow sucks. its just the truth.
    They aren't being stubborn at all. It's their decision at the end of the day and at the current time until we get any more information all we know is they are aware of it.

And don't speak for the entire Vanilla playerbase. You might hate WoW but I extremely doubt every single player shares your opinion.

And your "truth" is not a fact either. We get it YOU hate current WoW. We know that from the countless threads you create on the topic.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-23 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Vanilla was NOT fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    half the player base that screamed "I WANT LEGACY SERVERS" would get about 24 hours into their characters and say "why am I only level 20?" and quit
    More likely they'd get to level 60 and lose interest either because they can't realistically progress into raids or because they'd get bored doing the same raid over and over again... forever.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I probably would on occasion, for the random times I get nostalgic about certain things (missing the old Loch Modan, or Darkshore, for example) but not very much beyond that. I definitely wouldn't spend most of my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadoraan View Post
    I definitely wouldn't play them.

And I don't really understand who legacy servers would be targeted at? Maybe this has already been addressed in the thread, but I don't get how these servers could have any longevity? People currently complain about being burnt out with recent content, so they unsub. How are people going to remain interested in playing servers that not only never get new content, but the existing content is stuff that they've already run, either when it was originally relevant, or most likely for xmog/achieves etc?

To clarify: You level, you do some of the instances (which you can still do now, albeit with different class abilities), you do the raids, working your way through the gearing process, then what? There is no expac coming, there's no future content patches. It's just the same shit you've already done, on farm over and over. While each week you have to put together 39 other people (in some cases), just to get the raids done.

I just don't see how these servers would work, it seems like such a small group of people that would want to play them, and vanilla content is fairly reliant on having a large pool of players to work with.
    The 8 million players Blizz lost slow and steady after WOTLK ended?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    half the player base that screamed "I WANT LEGACY SERVERS" would get about 24 hours into their characters and say "why am I only level 20?" and quit

The private server scene ( Vanilla ) has been doing quite well, so clearly that is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    The 8 million players Blizz lost slow and steady after WOTLK ended?
    You have a source that the current subscription numbers are 4 million?

And no an unreliable, skewered, barely updated census metric isn't a source.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloral View Post
    No. Vanilla was NOT fun.
    Yes it was. It just didn't give casuals everything on a plate. Achievements should mean something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You have a source that the current subscription numbers are 4 million?

And no an unreliable, skewered, barely updated census metric isn't a source.
    Yes, Chris Metzen told me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the poll?

I'd live on MoP servers for the rest of my life. Unless a future expansion proves to be better. Class design, 2s, and duels are all I care about. Those were all best in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Yes it was. It just didn't give casuals everything on a plate. Achievements should mean something.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Chris Metzen told me.
    Ok. I'll just stop responding to you at this point.

I always wonder why I give people the benefit of the doubt at least once sometimes.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Where's the poll?

I'd live on MoP servers for the rest of my life. Unless a future expansion proves to be better. Class design, 2s, and duels are all I care about. Those were all best in MoP.
    I would actually play MoP legacy for years. Arguably the best time in the game I ever had.

TBH i used to love the idea because nostalgia reasons. After playing on nost i realized I wouldn't stick to it. I just don't have the time, nor did i find the experience to be amazing like i remember it. So would i play it? For a bit only but i wouldn't stick to it.

because they could re release the expansions of the game over time thus giving players who never had the opertunity to play the game when it was so vastly different the chance to do so, they are being extremley stubborn about the issue in order to force players to have this elitist attitude, literally any player that played the game in vanilla to wotlk will tell you that current wow sucks. its just the truth.

Just because YOU don't want legacy servers doesn't mean that literally millions of ex wow players also dont want to play the game when it was actually good again.
    And just because YOU do want them doesn't mean there is literally millions that do. That argument works both ways.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Absolutely.

Vanilla and TBC were my favorite times in this game. I only leveled my holy priest to max during vanilla so I would love to go back and play a non-healer toon. I'd play it the same way though, only one toon that I focused on for leveling, grinding, reps, mats, attunements, 0.5 gear, etc.

I'd also not go night elf since I know what that feels like to level from the start. Not sure which race/class I'd play or if I would go horde this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    1) "I have no interest in legacy servers and my 15$/m will be used to support said legacy servers, robbing me off content.
    I have no interest in pet battles or PvP, but you don't see me crying and unsubbing over Blizzard putting resources into those things.

2) "I am interested in legacy servers and i don't want to pay 20$/m for old content while there are free private servers"
    And those free private servers are mostly garbage. Low population, bad scripting, hackers/botters/corrupt admins, pay2win, etc.

I can guarantee you that if a server popped up that had 100% perfect blizzard scripting, super stable servers and low latency, everyone would flock to it and other private servers would quickly die off.

3) "Legacy servers cost us like 4 expansions and 2 raid tiers per expansion"
    Which is just flat out wrong.

4) "i'm a legacy server player but i can't start playing because all available servers are overcrowded"
    No...? Vanilla player cap was 3k per server. That is not "overcrowded".

And if you're talking about launch, welcome to literally every private server launch ever. Yet private servers are still doing fine.

5) "i'm a legacy server and started playing 7 months late to not get into this wave of unplayable WoW "on launch", now i can't find any players to interact with and servers feel empty"
    Again, wrong. In my experiences across multiple servers, as long as the server is not completely dead, there are always players at all level ranges available.

1) "We are going to make a huge investment to basically reverse engineer our own game, re-create old assets, re-create old databases to ensure vanilla wow experience without any proof that anyone will be left playing the game in a year, while there is evidence of the opposite"
    "Re-create" ? m8, they have the source code and all of the game assets are available in the 1.12 client.

If a bunch of solo devs can put together a private server in their spare time, a multi-billion-dolllar game dev should have no problem doing it as their job.

(yes, for those who believe that "private servers are vanilla experience" - they are not, they got their numbers (often) WAY off)
    nice vague and un-specific blanket statement

And again, literally wrong, as most/all private servers base their numbers and mechanics on confirmed knowledge from things like old 2005-2006 elitistjerks posts.

And no private server claims to be 100% blizzlike.

2) "We don't know where to stop legacy servers and how to implement them, because "pro legacy servers" crowd is highly separated in terms of which patch they want and if we should do "cannon" patches or "private server" patches (aka "balance-vice it's 1.12.1 but content-vise it's 1.6"), which bugs should be left intact and which shouldn't? Do we even rebalance the game according to tools that player have? Do we ban scripts again? Do we update LUA? Do we make battle.net integration?
    And why is this a bad thing? Yes, launching a legacy server will take work, but that does not mean it will "run business into wall in a couple months".

You do realize Blizzard is a multi-billion-dollar game dev, right? You'd have to fuck something up really, REALLY, ASTRONOMICALLY bad, in order for them to go out of business in "a couple months".

Stop with the hyperbole.

because they could re release the expansions of the game over time thus giving players who never had the opertunity to play the game when it was so vastly different the chance to do so, they are being extremley stubborn about the issue in order to force players to have this elitist attitude, literally any player that played the game in vanilla to wotlk will tell you that current wow sucks. its just the truth.

Just because YOU don't want legacy servers doesn't mean that literally millions of ex wow players also dont want to play the game when it was actually good again.
    But that's just blatantly false? Why would you make a statement like "literally any player that played the game in vanilla to wotlk will tell you that current wow sucks" when all it takes to disprove you is for one person who played vanilla to wotlk (ie myself) to say that current wow doesn't suck?
    I can come back at you with the exact same thing: Just because YOU want legacy servers, doesn't mean that the millions of people who stopped playing wow want to replay the same content they already experienced over and over?

Do you actually believe that there are millions of people out there who really want to play wow again after all these years, but won't because there aren't legacy servers? Have a think about that number before you answer "Millions". Millions of people who quit somewhere around 7+ years ago, just waiting to come back to vanilla wow. Let me know if i've got that right.

7+ Year Old Account
    1. prob shoulda made this a poll
    2. i dont think it will ever happen. why? here is my list of why.
    3. if they did yeah i would play for awhile, but eventually it gets tiring, there would be no new content, only content i have allready done. A wrath one i would spend far more time on then vanilla though, best time in wow's history
    Because players cant make up what they want.

1. do they want is raw or QoL updates? Faster ooc regen, more graveyards/faster death walks. faster flight paths, transmog/new race models, quest markers
    ^things that dont really effect the game in reality, just make it less time consuming/more fun
    2. do they fix bugs, or are bugs "part of the experiance" if they do what do they fix and what dont they?
    3. do they do vanilla launch, then at a real time rate move to the final patch of vanilla? or do they do it faster or slower, do they stop once it reaches end of vanilla or move to BC?
    4. or do they just make it final patch of vanilla and hold it there forever? do they make a bc one, a wrath one? do they allow transfering over from one to another? do they allow you to transfer toons from these onto live servers? but then that ruins the rarity of things like corrupted ashbringer, but it also allows for alot of fun for players who couldent do it back then, and now get to experiance it now that they are actually playing the game.
    5. do they make it free? no they cant cause how would they make money, but if they dont make it free everyone will just play private servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Oh cool, some guy who knows what goes on at blizzard. What is your job title again?
    It's not just blizzard, m8. A basic rule of coding in general is to always save backups of your work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, and I wouldn't play Legacy Servers.

"Our Main Tank just got sniped by a guild that runs Blackwing Lair. looks like its back to Scholomance and Stratholme for a new warrior's Tier set Farming"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    It's not just blizzard, m8. A basic rule of coding in general is to always save backups of your work.
    Mate, even in early 00s many firms in many industries couldn't care less about doing what's considered to be good practices. Moreover, gaming industry is notorious for being shit in this department, just the worst offender.