Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

I watched my friend play on a legacy server for like 10 minutes before I got a headache, after 30 mins I had to do something else. Literally the only reason a few of my friends play on legacy servers is because it's free.
    So if legacy was free, emphasis on free, I'd probably play both just to play with friends. then legacy sparingly, like it literally made me nauseous to see how slow and repetitive it use to be

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    It's not just blizzard, m8. A basic rule of coding in general is to always save backups of your work.
    I hate people who think they know what they're talking about... but don't

It's not JUST the code. It's:

• The art assets
    • The database data
    • The database schema
    • The tools used to compile all of this together into the server code
    • The tools used to compile all of this together into the client code
    • The test scripts and tools so they can verify that it's all good
    • The software that runs those scripts.
    • The server configuration and software (OS, various packages, etc)
    • Ideally, the hardware since current hardware likely isn't tested with server software that old.

For each patch. For a group of people some of whom seem to want it for free or MAYBE $5. For how long?

Then add all of the support stuff - the need for GMs, forums, CMs to watch those, etc etc.

THEN watch people bitch about stuff that was part of vanilla but that we have gone past (short blessings, individual buff targeting, reagents for a lot of spells, etc etc). Oh, they wanted vanilla but WHY WONT BLIZZ FIX THIS THING....

Then watch people demand that the server progress. Watch others bleat for a TBC server and a Wrath server because "you did Classic!" - not that they would pay more for each.
    Last edited by clevin; 2017-10-23 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    because they could re release the expansions of the game over time thus giving players who never had the opertunity to play the game when it was so vastly different the chance to do so, they are being extremley stubborn about the issue in order to force players to have this elitist attitude, literally any player that played the game in vanilla to wotlk will tell you that current wow sucks. its just the truth.

Just because YOU don't want legacy servers doesn't mean that literally millions of ex wow players also dont want to play the game when it was actually good again.
    Actually rereleasing at a much faster pace would be nice. I missed MoP and regret it a lot. Then considering that WoW is a loving evolving story, it would be fun to experience it again as such. But I refuse to pay for it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Mate, even in early 00s many firms in many industries couldn't care less about doing what's considered to be good practices.
    Not an argument

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    It's not JUST the code. It's
    And you think they just trashed everything? For the biggest game they've ever made? Come on, now.

Like I said, if a handful of people can run a private server in their spare time, a multi billion dollar game dev should have no problem doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    THEN watch people bitch about stuff that was part of vanilla but that we have gone past (short blessings, individual buff targeting, reagents for a lot of spells, etc etc).
    Yes, because people complain about these things all the time on private servers.......oh wait no, they don't, because they understand what vanilla is, and if you even mention fixing things like these, everyone shits all over you and tells you to fuck off back to retail.

Try again.

Not an argument.
    You're naive af. Oh well, I dunno what I expected...

Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not an argument

And you think they just trashed everything? For the biggest game they've ever made? Come on, now.

Like I said, if a handful of people can run a private server in their spare time, a multi billion dollar game dev should have no problem doing it.

Yes, because people complain about these things all the time on private servers.......oh wait no, they don't, because they understand what vanilla is, and if you even mention fixing things like these, everyone shits all over you and tells you to fuck off back to retail.

Try again.
    Yes, I think they trashed the environment for classic etc because they dont need it anymore. And private servers are free, with people understanding it's a small group. If you think people wouldn't bitch and whine and stomp their little feet for what they want blizzard to do regardless of it making any sense, you should read this thread again. Hell, read your posts.

OP didn't make a poll because the Vanilla Legacy crowd knows they're like 1% of the playerbase and legacy servers would never be successful, but they wanna scream for it anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably play a TBC one but not Vanilla.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Why can't I enjoy both current WoW and vanilla servers? Is that really so impossible to fathom?

Also you have no numbers whatsoever on how big or small any given group of the community is, so don't pretend you do. Fucking hate when people do that.
    Don't pretend like the community roaring about private servers is some small fucking army. How many people even signed up on private servers? A thread on reddit has the biggest private server at 37,722 people, as reported by them. That could be true numbers, could be fake, but even if it is fake, they went with a believable number of 37,722.

If WoW had even just 1 million subs, that would be 3.77% of the playerbase.

There's obviously other private servers, but WoW also has way more than 1 million subs. You guys are asking them to create entire servers that a tiny portion of the population MIGHT play for a short amount of time. There is literally no benefit to them putting time and money into doing so.

It's really not hard to get an idea of how big a particular community is. Honestly, the people who REALLY wanted to play old WoW content were playing on private servers. THAT is the true number of people who wanted it bad enough to actually go find it elsewhere, and the total number of people who were willing to do that just aren't worth Blizzards time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody should be even 00.01% expecting of them to announce legacy servers though. Just by looking at previous blue responses, you can see their mentality is that of "Current WoW is the best it has ever been, future WoW is the best it ever will be, past WoW was worse than it is now"

Who could forget this infamous blizzcon answer?

Remember when you had to find a tank through chat?

Remember a bug that existed?

Remember when people enjoyed logging in every day?
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2017-10-23 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The7 View Post
    OP didn't make a poll because the Vanilla Legacy crowd knows they're like 1% of the playerbase and legacy servers would never be successful, but they wanna scream for it anyway.
    Still would have been 10 times more than mythic raiders. Considering N-server had 150k active accounts, 30 times more on just one server. But whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

I would definitely play a MoP legacy server so I could enjoy Fistweaving on my monk. I legitimately enjoyed that playstyle. I'd maybe do a TBC server to enjoy my favorite raid Black Temple in it's difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Yes, I think they trashed the environment for classic etc because they dont need it anymore. And private servers are free, with people understanding it's a small group. If you think people wouldn't bitch and whine and stomp their little feet for what they want blizzard to do regardless of it making any sense, you should read this thread again. Hell, read your posts.
    Most of their archived databases is probably updated to the post cataclysm data.
    Blizzard probably have the data like the NPCs like Defias Pillager after cataclysm but not the stats of NPCs from vanilla. From what I've read in the articles from the Nost incident, that's one of the parts that took the Nost team longest time to build (about 2-3 years) and alot of it have to be done manually as they research to find the Vanilla stats of all the NPCs. The stats system of NPCs back then was also alot different from now, weapon skill/hit etc. all gone now.

If Blizzard put the wrong stats, we going to get complains like certain mobs is easier/harder than what they recall.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no interest in pet battles or PvP, but you don't see me crying and unsubbing over Blizzard putting resources into those things.
    So, you compare basically making a new game that looks and plays like a new one to pet battles and PvP? It's borderline trolling/stupidity.

And those free private servers are mostly garbage. Low population, bad scripting, hackers/botters/corrupt admins, pay2win, etc.

I can guarantee you that if a server popped up that had 100% perfect blizzard scripting, super stable servers and low latency, everyone would flock to it and other private servers would quickly die off.
    You can get a loan and be a blizzard shareholder if you can guarantee anything. But truth is - you can't guarantee anything, if literally anybody could guarantee legacy servers coming out successful - they would already be there.

Which is just flat out wrong.
    ok?

No...? Vanilla player cap was 3k per server. That is not "overcrowded".
    So now you want not a legacy server but multiple legacy servers? So when after a big "launch" crowd finally goes away after getting to level 40 and buying a mount, hitting the "leveling wall" you find yourself on an empty server? Great plan!

And if you're talking about launch, welcome to literally every private server launch ever. Yet private servers are still doing fine.
    No they are not doing fine.

Again, wrong. In my experiences across multiple servers, as long as the server is not completely dead, there are always players at all level ranges available.
    So, there are always players at all levels ranges available, unless they aren't? Good argument, can't argue against that. But even if you take an overpopulated private server - players just being there doesn't mean that you won't spend 50 minutes looking for a SM group, finally giving up dungeon and quests and move on to the next location

"Re-create" ? m8, they have the source code and all of the game assets are available in the 1.12 client.

If a bunch of solo devs can put together a private server in their spare time, a multi-billion-dolllar game dev should have no problem doing it as their job.
    sure m8 that's how it works m8 dude. Just FYI: private servers aren't made do "bunch of solo devs", "bunch of solo devs" just pirate/buy an emulator and server to run, if you had any idea how many work-hours were put into making said "solo devs" to be able to run these servers basically effortless you wouldn't be spewing this bullshit right now.
    And no, their job is not recreating vanilla wow, their job is providing us new content to keep us entertained.

nice vague and un-specific blanket statement

And again, literally wrong, as most/all private servers base their numbers and mechanics on confirmed knowledge from things like old 2005-2006 elitistjerks posts.

And no private server claims to be 100% blizzlike.
    Unspecific? I always claim that private server experience and vanilla experience are literally two different games. Those who play "fury warrior in MC top deeps m8" on their favorite Nosalium 100% blizzlike (literally all private servers claim to be blizzlike, don't fool yourself) server doesn't fucking realize that fury warrior being viable is a perc of later fucking patches, reworked talent trees (yeah, did you know that in early vanilla all mages were arcane? Just because of evocation because that's how ridiculous mana was back then?) and rebalanced weapons. Or how they get their numbers for damage/health/droprates literally from the ceilings because emu-makers had 0 source control and shit like "oh geez we lost our sniffers data got lost again!" was happening with astonishing frequency.

And why is this a bad thing? Yes, launching a legacy server will take work, but that does not mean it will "run business into wall in a couple months".

You do realize Blizzard is a multi-billion-dollar game dev, right? You'd have to fuck something up really, REALLY, ASTRONOMICALLY bad, in order for them to go out of business in "a couple months".

Stop with the hyperbole.
    Because it will run blizzard business into the wall. It's kinda bad thing to happen, because activision will have to bail them and eventually they will become new visceral games.

You do realize that blizzard "is a multi-billion-dollar game dev" for a reason? Because they don't take high-risk low-profit moves like making a legacy server?
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-10-23 at 04:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I think if they added some quality of life stuff like the current bnet support. Updated flight paths. Pet/mount tabs. Left everything else the same as it was I would play the heck out of it.

I still go back and play my Orginal Nintendo playing old games isn't anything new. Rare released a huge library you can DL on xbox. Nintendo is releasing a super nintendo emulator and already did the orginal. Steam library as long as the game supports the new operating system you can play whatever you want in your library.

World of Warcraft doing legacy servers really doesn't seem like a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Still would have been 10 times more than mythic raiders.
    Touché, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not just blizzard, m8. A basic rule of coding in general is to always save backups of your work.
    Says someone who apparently doesn't work with source control. Yeah, expecting blizzard to store every revision of their source code and, probably, also store old hardware just in case they'll want to run their old-ass code for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Don't pretend like the community roaring about private servers is some small fucking army. How many people even signed up on private servers? A thread on reddit has the biggest private server at 37,722 people, as reported by them. That could be true numbers, could be fake, but even if it is fake, they went with a believable number of 37,722.

If WoW had even just 1 million subs, that would be 3.77% of the playerbase.

There's obviously other private servers, but WoW also has way more than 1 million subs. You guys are asking them to create entire servers that a tiny portion of the population MIGHT play for a short amount of time. There is literally no benefit to them putting time and money into doing so.

It's really not hard to get an idea of how big a particular community is. Honestly, the people who REALLY wanted to play old WoW content were playing on private servers. THAT is the true number of people who wanted it bad enough to actually go find it elsewhere, and the total number of people who were willing to do that just aren't worth Blizzards time.
    I honestly don't understand why people refuse to accept that Blizz are business and they constantly monitor the market. There's an entire department that does market analysis and research, so Blizz can find more ways of profiting from old, current and future products.

If Vanilla were such a gold mine, as some people tend to believe, people wouldn't be talking about it on the forums now, it'd be playable ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    It's worst idea ever imaginable. One of "how do we run our business into the wall in just a couple of months" ideas.
    You make an incredibly compelling, thought-provoking argument.

Deleted

If they announce legacy servers at Blizzcon, would you play them? (Poll Version)

simple question, if Blizzard decided to release legacy servers, would you play on them?

maybe they could add classic wow tokens to the auction house as well that allow you to play on legacy servers for basically free if you can farm the gold on your main basically making players play both games.

also, I think that if they did legacy servers they should make items that are no longer obtainable, account wide and available again, further giving players good reasons to play on classic servers.

The game needs a lift, yet another expansion announcement just can't bring the hype it once did to this game as it did several years ago, it isn't the peak of the game anymore and hype around the game in general is dead. a legacy server announcment on the other hand would bring massive hype to this game because it is something alot of players want to see and it is a major thing for the games publicity.

I, for one, would literally resub to the game the instant they implemented them. as long as they remained true to there original versions.
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2017-10-23 at 06:27 AM.