Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation World of Warcraft: Before the Storm

New book being released in MAY 2018 by Christie Golden. Does this mean the next expansion will be an alliance vs horde expansion theme? Will this mean next expansion won't be released until after May?

"An all-new, official tie-in novel to Blizzard Entertainment’s critically acclaimed World of Warcraft, from New York Times bestselling author Christie Golden.

Taking place after the climactic events of Shadows of Argus, World of Warcraft: Before the Storm tells the story of what awaits the heroes of the Horde and the Alliance in the wake of their struggle against the demonic Burning Legion.

Hardcover: 208 pages
    Publisher: Del Rey (May 15, 2018)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0399594094
    ISBN-13: 978-0399594090"

amazon.com/Before-Storm-Warcraft-Christie-Golden/dp/0399594094/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=blizzplanet0e-20&linkId=c9267f8ceaf57815725a2bb56c6dec2b

10+ Year Old Account
    Bumping this back to the top since the post is of interest and went into the moderation queue.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    guess this will probably come out like a month or 2 before 8.0, then 8.0 will be about a month long before the xpac release

Yay more lore that isn't in game.

Deleted
    i told you so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Yay more lore that isn't in game.
    WoW is the game. The books are the lore. Some of us actually like to read. What they put in the books would be too much to put in the game. Lots of story elements to cover.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Doesn't necessarily infer Horde vs Alliance. Just that the focus may swap between the two chapter by chapter to show what is important to each faction.

And anyone expecting the next expansion before next May hasn't been playing WoW long enough to look forward to a new expansion.

Everything in the books will end up in the WiKi. Besides, it's Christie Golden, and trudging through her books is painful. Seriously, I think in one book (star wars novel) she must have paused 5 times in two pages to mention how slow cutting through blast doors is with a light saber.

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    WoW is the game. The books are the lore. Some of us actually like to read. What they put in the books would be too much to put in the game. Lots of story elements to cover.
    You arrogant f...... some of you like to read do you? Did you know that Warcraft 2 came with a lore manual? Did you know that WC3 did as well? As did the original WoW, to some extent?

Did you know that the original WoW had a massive number of books you could read in game about its lore? Do you know what quest text is? You like to read do you?

Do you know that there are many games which have in-game lore repositories to keep track of the story and inform the players if they want to remember things later? For a cheaper price than WoW asks, and for much better and complex story too, other than "this guy was dead, but now he's back!".

I have no FUCKING IDEA what happened during Garrosh's trial because NONE of it is covered expect maybe mentioned in passing by some quest somewhere in Nagrand. I have no FUCKING IDEA what happened to Arthas between Frozen Throne and WOTLK because many of the elements mentioned about his new state of mind and being in WOTLK reference events that happened during a book which was once again not covered in game.

WoW is not just "the game". It's the game and its lore, without lore it's just a glorified HK/purple pixels grinding simulator.

Yeah you....some of US TOO like to read, except for the price we pay, we barely get table scraps, and very important events and insights are cut out and placed into physical book "DLCs".

You arrogant f...... some of you like to read do you? Did you know that Warcraft 2 came with a lore manual? Did you know that WC3 did as well? As did the original WoW, to some extent?

Did you know that the original WoW had a massive number of books you could read in game about its lore? Do you know what quest text is? You like to read do you?

Do you know that there are many games which have in-game lore repositories to keep track of the story and inform the players if they want to remember things later? For a cheaper price than WoW asks, and for much better and complex story too, other than "this guy was dead, but now he's back!".

I have no FUCKING IDEA what happened during Garrosh's trial because NONE of it is covered expect maybe mentioned in passing by some quest somewhere in Nagrand. I have no FUCKING IDEA what happened to Arthas between Frozen Throne and WOTLK because many of the elements mentioned about his new state of mind and being in WOTLK reference events that happened during a book which was once again not covered in game.

WoW is not just "the game". It's the game and its lore, without lore it's just a glorified HK/purple pixels grinding simulator.

Yeah you....some of US TOO like to read, except for the price we pay, we barely get table scraps, and very important events and insights are cut out and placed into physical book "DLCs".
    A quick google lead to nearly 1 million results to where I could either read a synopsis of any of the books or download them. Unsure what you're issue is.

There's sufficient enough information and lore within WoW's game world to allow you to understand and experience most everything. For those who want to delve deeper, there are the books and/or the internet.

I'm among those people who believe(d) that Blizzard has a new cadence of content releases, that worked out very well in Legion and is likely to continue beyond.

I do not think even the most positive community members will remain unshaken if we are expected to keep staring at Argus landscape until August/September 2018.

I also hope that Ion & Co. understand that too, and don't want to repeat the record-low sub numbers that we've seen towards the end of WoD - regardless of how much Overwatch and Hearthstone keep compensating in cash for WoW development cycle failures.

So this worries me too - the book thing...

I wonder if someone going to Blizzcon and intending to ask questions at Q&A could at least try and throw the "what about the book release date?" question at the devs there?

Deleted

Some serious price there, I spend 7x as much on a bad weekend with friends out.

If you care that much why not just ...buy n read the books?

Is anyone surprised after Blizzard hired Christie Golden for good? If anything, there will be yearly books now. And maybe more audio dramas (I'd love that!).

The author recently tweeted on Twitter she was hired recently as an official blizzard employee so this new wow novel now propping up coincides with her joining blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illidan came out APRIL of 2016, legion wasn't released until august 30th.

This date has nothing to do w/ xpac release.

Or if it does and follows illidan/legions pattern, you better hope it has nothing to do w/ it, as it means the xpac would be even later, lol.
    Last edited by Vynestra; 2017-10-23 at 02:45 AM.

Before the Storm? Really? Will Chloe and Rachael be appearing in it? /s

Some of the books are nice but they get retconned and ignored so often that I'm not sure if reading them is really worth it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+happened+d...h%27s+trial%3F

Wow would you look at that. The first result is an article of engadget detailing what happened! What is this magic?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    A tad salty but still right. They keep putting important events to the main game into external books so the lore-interested buy those too. It's weird. Garrosh's trial was resumed into "Garrosh went to the past!" in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by otyknip View Post
    Some serious price there, I spend 7x as much on a bad weekend with friends out.
    You're free to pay the books for me, Richie Rich. PM me for my address.

Also, since we're making unrelated statements, I also pay the same on 3 boxes of condoms. Wow cool, we can now share prices of things we pay for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    A tad salty but still right. They keep putting important events to the main game into external books so the lore-interested buy those too. It's weird. Garrosh's trial was resumed into "Garrosh went to the past!" in-game.
    What does "salty" have to do with anything? Just agree or fucking disagree, no one asked you to qualify my tone of writing.