Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    simple question, if Blizzard decided to release legacy servers, would you play on them?

maybe they could add classic wow tokens to the auction house as well that allow you to play on legacy servers for basically free if you can farm the gold on your main basically making players play both games.

also, I think that if they did legacy servers they should make items that are no longer obtainable, account wide and available again, further giving players good reasons to play on classic servers.

The game needs a lift, yet another expansion announcement just can't bring the hype it once did to this game as it did several years ago, it isn't the peak of the game anymore and hype around the game in general is dead. a legacy server announcment on the other hand would bring massive hype to this game because it is something alot of players want to see and it is a major thing for the games publicity.

I, for one, would literally resub to the game the instant they implemented them. as long as they remained true to there original versions.
    Ofcourse I would, I'm sad to say Vanilla wow Is still better than Legion, yes It takes time, yes It takes dedication to even earn a rare blue gear piece but that's how It SHOULD BE, and not just rush through previous expansion zones, only to then rush through Legion zones, then rush normal dungeons, then rush mythic+ to get gear only to then rush some more because rushing Is the new meta apparently.

It's sad, but even the ahem... alternative to legacy servers has had a divide among the guys who operate the server, which could've been avoided If this legacy server Idea was supported by Blizzard last year LIKE THEY PROMISED, to take the legacy server team guys and speak to them about It only to be ignored and forced to make their own vanilla server anyway that's been alive for a year ever since and has been a much better experience than Legion so far, countless friends, adventures, encountrs I could speak of that are memorable and fun, whilst In Legion I could tell you nothing interesting other than my 23566346th Mythic+ run that's always the same thing, rush to the end by pressing W and occasionally spam unlimited AoE healing/damage.

So yeah, If they do It right I think It could work.

I'm thinking have the option for a 20 euro sub, or dollars or whatever, and the extra 5 bucks gives you legacy server access, with one month for free Initially ofcourse for people to try It out, as they did let us do for a free month when we bought the game originally and put away any doubt of people who didn't like the Idea of Legacy servers. Only thing stopping them from doing It Is Corporate pride and their masters, activision.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    non-linear questing
    Rose tinted glasses much?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    And there is the rub if too many people did that then it could possibly cause current live to crash and burn and the devs could see that there is no point in creating content or expansions for current retail since everyone wants legacy instead..
    The mainstream doesn't want legacy, stop pushing this lie.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

3rd poll option missing: "You think you would, but you wouldn't"
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    I would if they were free to play. Otherwise no.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "original versions"? Like pural? Like several versions as one? Or at once? What is an original version anyhow? The November 2004 release? Or the 2006 Version with the Naxx patch? Or maybe cherry pick something inbetween?
    No, i think he means a different server for every single patch and before/after specific hotfixes. So it will be like, you login and get a few menus:

Expansion: X
    Patch: X.XX.XX
    Date: Day.Month.Year - Day.Month.Year

This way you can play at exactly the expansion, patch and before/after hotfixes you want and if someone else picks the same settings like you you play together!

Deleted
    How about no?

It will be a humongous work.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yes, definitely. Even if I had to pay a separate sub, I'd play them.

The biggest issues with private servers are:

-lag / disconnects / high latency
    -lack of mod/GM action
    -bad scripting
    -not enough population
    -{{multiple language regions all being on the same server}}
    -{{tons of chinese players farming/botting everything}}
    -gold spam
    -risk of server shutting down at any time and losing all of your progress

That's not being realistic
    . There a are a few wow private servers where the only thing you can really pick from that list is:

-risk of server shutting down at any time and losing all of your progress
    -{{multiple language regions all being on the same server}}
    -gold spam

From those 4, in retail you have 2:

-gold spam

Sorry, if you want excuses not to play on the amazing private servers there are out there.. you're doing a poor job.

PS: Why are you being racist? What's wrong with tons of chinese players farming/botting everything and multiple language regions all being on the same server?
    Last edited by tikcol; 2017-10-23 at 09:17 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think people are just annoyed at the legacy debate. They'd atleast try them if they went live. I dont see the irrational hatred towards the subject. It either will happen one day or it wont. Right now, its incredibly unlikely, so why not have fun and speculate?

If they were ever released- the only way to do it (as i see) is to progress through all the patches over time as they went live. And this is probably why it wont happen in the near future:

Eventually, you will catch up to later expansions- some people will have missed certain expansions/patches that they would want to experience... There would be an argument over having diced servers where they start at different expansions or are released later or whatever (which will further fragment the community.) People would want some servers to stay in the expansion forever, some would want progression.. There will be arguments over whether they should experiment and keep/discard certain changes (like LFD, LFR, class balance)... Essentially rebooting the game.. A lot of things just can't be replicated without having raid bosses be untuned or broken for a while if you want the 'historic' experience. A lot of bugs were removed for a reason- would they readd them for the experience? Would people take advantage of them before they are removed again?

It would be incredibly difficult to pull off the experience. And that's why they're not touching the subject with a ten-foot-pole Fun to think about though.

People still seem to only think about classic WoW when the word ''legacy'' pops up. Legacy servers would be every WoW expansion up till WoD. I don't see why we're just talking about classic WoW while a lot of people would rather play TBC, WotLK or MoP which are imo way better than Legion despite being older.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsson View Post
    In retail you are given epics and legendary's all over the place. Tried Legion after being away for 3 months and first day i received like 5 epics and 1 legendary, with that charity you loose that feeling of working hard to accomplish a goal. What is harder are the newer boss-mechanics which i like, but can still be challenging with 40 players with various experience in vanilla

Sure, there are a lot of features that's better in retail, but for me those doesn't outweigh, what for me are the core values of a MMORP game.

Maybe if the make the retail version "harder" and remove the welfare-gearing (artifact weapons included) i might consider going back. But for now, vanilla gives me more satisfaction then retail and i would be willing to pay the same amount for legacy as i did for retail.
    Mmm, i generally agree with this. I have no hatred or disdain towards the current game. It's just that i value those things you mentioned much more. I think its the reason people can have 12+ alts being max level and getting geared at once. That just wasn't a 'fun' thing to do years ago (because the first big experience was getting to max level, which took long enough for one character. Then the next brick in the road was actually getting the gear, which took so long you couldn't imagine repeating it on more than 3 characters. And FINALLY you got to step foot into the raid/arena. The big pay off.)

Raids are more of a challenge, i will agree. Even the Attumen fight in M+ kara needs you to pay attention at ALL sides and moving almost CONSTANTLY. That fight is just insanity and needs constant attention. The design of fights has definitely gotten crazier, more creative, and more engaging. It's just that the progress to get up to that point feels lackluster. Where is the investment in my character that makes me NOT want to play alts?

I don't know if they want it to feel 'harder' though, after the 6th expansion. I never thought the previous systems where considered 'hard' or not-casual-friendly in the first place :\ and i didn't play that much. I was casual and progressing just fine.

I wonder how the game will progress, tbh. I really hope they're not afraid to take a step back and strip back the systems one of these days. Unlikely, but y'know. I think they're still finding a balance.
    Last edited by digichi; 2017-10-23 at 09:39 AM.

Deleted
    I would definetly play them. Legacy or no sub.
    But I doubt Blizz will create them. Lets be honest, the current Dev team is only there to milk the remaining few subs. RNG + Timegating etc. Theyd rather create a few more shopmounts than give us legacy servers. Less work and more money.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This poll is pretty pointless, because in the end, everything comes down to how they implement "Legacy" servers - where do they cut off? Vanilla, TBC, Wrath? Do you destroy all QoL features or only some? How do you handle various resolved issues? What bugs do you include/not include? Without that, no-one can honestly say.

People on a Vanilla server now are, in many cases lying to themselves if they say they'd play on an official one. One part of this is subscription - right now, most people playing on Legacy servers are playing for free. That's £100+ quid a year they're saving, which they may claim doesn't matter, but let's be real - it does.

Another part is specific community - the people who play on unofficial, quasi-legal, Legacy servers tend to be more of a community than "players in general". Would that continue on officially supported ones? Of course not.

The big issue Blizzard, correctly recognise, though, is that historically, every game that has done something like this has seen a massive peak population on these sort of servers, which gradually declines to the point where they're dead. And why is that surprising to anyone? It shouldn't be. It's like tourism. It's like visiting your old hometown you have fond memories of when you've been living in the city for decades. It may be peaceful, it may be quaint and charming, and whilst a handful of people might want to stay, most people are going to be bored and irritated before too long.

When Legacy servers are free and underground, that's absolutely fine. Only the people who really care stick around long-term, and you can very easily cut down to the number of servers that's right. What Blizzard don't want though is the bad publicity, annoyance, and so on, of putting up the number of legacy servers the "peak" part would require (a bonkers number) followed by having to delete and merge them when the inevitable population crash followed.

Of course I would play.

I want to play an MMO, not a Facebook game or app. I doubt Blizzard will announce anything soon, however.

No.

"Whoever does not miss the Vanilla WoW has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain."

I'd visit Auberdine for half an hour, then log out.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

It took them five fucking years to get "Appear Offline" working.

If you're still waiting for Blizzard to do Legacy servers, you're not paying attention. Why add more realms anyway? WoW is getting smaller, not bigger.

Deleted
    Most likely I would give it a try and drop soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Ok. I'll just stop responding to you at this point.

I always wonder why I give people the benefit of the doubt at least once sometimes.....

- - - Updated - - -
    It was an estimate. Blizz stopped releasing info which can only mean the subs are down. They wouldn't stop offering them if they were up.

We know the last one was what, 5 and a bit.

Even assuming those 5 mil played during Vanilla/TBC/WOTLK you still have other 7ish mil that quit since wotlk.

I'm playing vanilla, and I would switch to official vanilla, as long as it is blizzlike, and not filled with microtransactions and P2W, as retail is.

Quote Originally Posted by karatakor View Post
    I'm playing vanilla, and I would switch to official vanilla, as long as it is blizzlike, and not filled with microtransactions and P2W, as retail is.
    Private servers are more pay to win than Retail is rofl