Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    HOLY SHIT GUYS.

I just got introduced to this project, Zeal and Ardor. Check out the descriptor:

Quote Originally Posted by Bandcamp
    Imagine this: Django sacrifices a goat on stage while intimidating slave chants roar and screeching guitar riffs burn in the background. Then the rhythmic chain rattling evoking a satanic summoning makes way for the eerily familiar melodies of Norwegian black metal.
    I've never, never heard a melding of slave chants and...well, anything beyond blues and jazz. This is insane! I love it! I love the premise of the God being the betrayer. Super cool!

I'm sure this is old news to you guys, but I just found it and can't get it off repeat. There's not a single song on this I don't love. It's so new to me.

Here's one not on the album

Devil is fiiiine...
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2017-10-16 at 02:14 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've been on board with them for a bit now - I think it was linked here some time within the past year or so. It's off-kilter while still being strongly conceptualised and executed. Interested on seeing where he takes it from here.

Deleted
    Well MonsieurRoberts if you like Zeal and Ardor you should check out Oathbreaker for sheer unexpectedness.

Been a good year for music.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the concept and idea of Z&A. I do hope they find a stronger footing though. The album as a whole is somewhat disjointed and not every track on the album is as strong. That said, it was remarkably refreshing and I hope he develops this further. There is no one that sounds quite like it.

---

AMENRA – MASS VI: Album Stream

Revered Belgian avant-garde post-metal luminaries stream the sixth album in the MASS series in full, whilst vocalist Colin H. van Eeckhout provided The Independent with an exclusive essay on the history of the band

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8002161.html

yeah i really like what Z&A got going but i feel like they should probably released an EP instead because half of the tracks just seem like they're just fillers or skits or whatever it's called.

Been enjoying a lot of Lustre recently

Also I feel like the art on this album perfectly matches the sound. It is so pleasing to listen to at night to wind down before falling asleep

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post

I feel like you might enjoy this @Marweinicus
    https://xanthochroid.bandcamp.com/al...nd-axen-act-ii

I guess fans of Wintersun might like it as well.
    Music wise sounds like my cup of tea indeed. Gotta give it a better spin tomorrow. Didn't like the cleans though

Deleted

Australia has some serious kickass bands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJlFdFquiY

Australia has some serious kickass bands.

Oh, apparently they're Brisbane based, represent. \m/

10+ Year Old Account

It's a bit old now but I wasn't sure if it had made it's way here. Holy shit is it ever good, and at ~35 minutes it's far too short for my liking.

Gib more pls!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    It's a bit old now but I wasn't sure if it had made it's way here. Holy shit is it ever good, and at ~35 minutes it's far too short for my liking.

Gib more pls!
    Yah! This was linked here last year already but it is an awesome album. Had already forgotten about it, truth be told.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought myself Filosofem on a 2LP, black vinyl today

Decided to reward myself for a project I'm running at work.

Nice, only Varg I own is Hvis, sounds killer.

Unrelated, Cyhra's debut album dropped today. The riffs are very middle-era In Flames but the vocals are a bit much to get used to.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Deleted
    I absolutely hate deathgrind/goregrind whatever, but I do really enjoy the guitar tuning a lot of these bands use. I wish a lot more melodic death bands used these pure aggressive sounding guitars.

Also stumbled upon this:

Long intro but go to 1:35 and it gives you an impression of how the band sounds like. Great sound. But that solo at 3:25 just blows me away. One of the most amazing solo's I've heard in a long time!

And then the sick drumming at 4:48 with that flute as a melody is absolutely amazing. This is the shit I love. Aggressive guitars and drumming, and nice and unique melodies. It also helps that I love this type of vocals.
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2017-10-23 at 01:42 AM.

I use it for weekly 5x5s and checking the "last week" section on it but don't really use it for anything else
    https://www.last.fm/user/Nazzadan
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I love the intensity and the guitar tone. I guess the closest you'll find to guitars like that in melodic death metal would be 90s melo-death. HM2 stuff like Slaughter of the Soul and such and those are still a long way from the sound you hear in bands like Plague Widow.
    The first band that comes to mind is Obtenebris. Probably linked it before already but it doesn't matter, this album is insane. Everything is perfect.

I also really loved the old Sybreed. Good industrial like this I can appreciate aswell.

I want these guitars, but in a lot of bands they are toned down or kind of lame riffing in the back-ground, overshadowed by the clear melodies. I love my melodies, but I want them to mix in really well with aggressive guitars.

Deleted
    ohhh, I didn't know that, I'll check them out tomorrow!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just discovered Jinjer the other day. This is the only track I find myself getting into sadly. Instrumental and pretty vocals with guttural ferocity and an AWESOME...uhh, chorus? Breakdown?

Any recommendations similar to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Well MonsieurRoberts if you like Zeal and Ardor you should check out Oathbreaker for sheer unexpectedness.

Been a good year for music.
    I think I'm just too ignorant or clueless to understand the lyrics, or the intricacies of metal that aren't clearly quotable lyrics. I like the sound a lot, but I can't understand her. I like the sound a lot actually. I can understand Jinjer in the track above, but I -really- have to try hard.

That's not necessarily a barrier to entry for me though! I'm VERY surface level and nuance-blind when it comes to metal. I listened to tons of Protest the Hero for the off-beat and unique timings before ever looking into the lyrics during the Volition era, and that is when I fell in love with the band, and branched out to Animals as Leaders(heh), Baroness, Mastodon etc.

And now I'm here, sometimes being exposed to something unique like Zeal & Ardor, sometimes being exposed to something that scratches the instrumental and emotional itch like Pisces above. When she belts out that scream in the third chorus...man!

I love it when vocalists can barely contain their voices. Like in the latter part of Animal Bones (2:15):

And probably my all-time favourite PTH track, Drumhead Trial, Rody does this quick escalating "Their mettle SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKES" and it drives me crazy every time I hear it. I love it! This entire song is full of it actually, and an AWESOME panning guitar battle. This is ideal metal to me. So far. (2:31)

Sometimes it takes a post like this to step back and reflect on how much you care about something, or how much something has inspired happiness within yourself.

Protest the Hero makes me so happy. 4 notes into Drumhead Trial and I crack a smile.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    I absolutely hate deathgrind/goregrind whatever, but I do really enjoy the guitar tuning a lot of these bands use. I wish a lot more melodic death bands used these pure aggressive sounding guitars.

Also stumbled upon this:

Long intro but go to 1:35 and it gives you an impression of how the band sounds like. Great sound. But that solo at 3:25 just blows me away. One of the most amazing solo's I've heard in a long time!

And then the sick drumming at 4:48 with that flute as a melody is absolutely amazing. This is the shit I love. Aggressive guitars and drumming, and nice and unique melodies. It also helps that I love this type of vocals.
    Super cool man! I've been into eastern influence since playing Sengoku Basara. This definitely scratches that itch.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2017-10-26 at 07:39 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Super cool man! I've been into eastern influence since playing Sengoku Basara. This definitely scratches that itch.
    High chance you'll love The Samans then.

Absolute stunning track and extremely unique vocalist.

Regarding Jinjer, perhaps try Bitter Atonement. Came out a few months ago and I love a few of their tracks. My weakness is female vocalists

Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2017-10-26 at 10:11 AM.

Deleted
    I recently found out about Tengger Cavalry. Nice band.