Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Forget subraces, I want my Ogres!

I seriously hope the subrace thing isn't happening. I just want my playable ogres!

Been watching a lot of subrace vids on youtube and people are always putting the ogres down. "They're too dumb lorewise to play many of the classes," or "Their models are too big to fit through doors" or "They have two heads. That won't work with the models." Gimmie a break. Not all ogres are giant, have two heads or are too stupid to be anything else but warriors.

There are Ogre mages in WC2. Sure those ones have two heads, but they don't all have to. Retcon. Blizz is notorious for doing this as of late. Same with their models. There are some that are smaller.

The only problem that I see for adding ogres is that I think that they missed their chance in Warlords or in Legion. They could've come from past Draenor after being impressed with the hordes awesomeness. I mean all you need is just the beginning leveling stages like the Goblins. No more Goblin lore after they were introduced in Cata. End game story was non-existant. The same thing could've happened in legion.

I guess this was a long winded way of saying that I WANT TO PLAY MY OGRE-MAGE!!!!!! lol

What race would y'all like to have been implemented before subraces? Or are subraces the thing you wanted more?
    Last edited by Cuetlachtli; 2017-10-24 at 04:02 AM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just want something new. Not reskinned elves.

Give them custom models and I'll be satisfied.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuetlachtli View Post
    I seriously hope the subrace thing isn't happening. I just want my playable ogres!
    sub~races may not be the next thing, but it will certainly be a thing LONG before ogres. however, the groundwork is definitely there for sub~races, it just seems more plausible at this point.

What class would y'all like to have been implemented before subraces? Or are subraces the thing you wanted more?
    class =/= race. and i dont want a single playable race added until Blizzard can provide adequate race inclusion in story lines. this is something they have failed horribly at with the playable races we have so far, adding another playable race would just make it worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd play Horde just for Ogres.

Deleted
    Waiting for Ogres aswell, but if they will put ToT style forest Trolls in as a sub-race i would be ok with it aswell.
    It are kinda the last two races i really miss on the Horde.

i would 100% race change my belf mage to an ogre if they were added.

and depending on the customization options, maybe my warlock too. if i could get edgy, cool tattoos like that magic-breaker guy from highmaul.

Been watching a lot of subrace vids on youtube and people are always putting the ogres down. "They're too dumb lorewise to play many of the classes," or "Their models are too big to fit through doors" or "They have two heads. That won't work with the models." Gimmie a break. Not all ogres are giant, have two heads or are too stupid to be anything else but warriors.

There are Ogre mages in WC2. Sure those ones have two heads, but they don't all have to. Retcon. Blizz is notorious for doing this as of late. Same with their models. There are some that are smaller.

The only problem that I see for adding ogres is that I think that they missed their chance in Warlords or in Legion. They could've come from past Draenor after being impressed with the hordes awesomeness. I mean all you need is just the beginning leveling stages like the Goblins. No more Goblin lore after they were introduced in Cata. End game story was non-existant. The same thing could've happened in legion.

I guess this was a long winded way of saying that I WANT TO PLAY MY OGRE-MAGE!!!!!! lol

What class would y'all like to have been implemented before subraces? Or are subraces the thing you wanted more?
    delusional

why do we need ANOTHER one of these threads. use one of the fifty existing threads about races

7+ Year Old Account
    I feel you my brother.

I know in my heart of hearts I will one days be able to play my Ogre Warrior...

...or Ogre Warlock.

Agreed, races > subraces

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    class =/= race. and i dont want a single playable race added until Blizzard can provide adequate race inclusion in story lines. this is something they have failed horribly at with the playable races we have so far, adding another playable race would just make it worse.
    oops. I meant race. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    one of the issues I see with Ogres is a practical one - fitting into doors, etc. I get that it's silly but I can't ride into the IF bank on certain mounts since they're too big... so how would Ogres work in that and similar situations? I mean, you could make them all small, (dwarf ogres?) but thats not what most people thing of when they think of ogres. They could shrink indoors but... again...

what if you just get both ? races and sub races.

i.e. 1 new race for every side, alliance and horde, and 3 sub races for every existing race.

IF blizzard is touching one of that things, they are not that stupid that they dont do it base line and from the ground up. as any other dev, if not completely stupid, they will implement base functinality to use every model existing as playable race. they dont look at that stuff like „playable ogres“ or „playable brown orc subrace“.

an example: ogres are large. buildings dont fit that. so if they start thinking about, they will not start with „cant do ogres. doors too small.“. instead they start with „hey, whenever in future we want to do subraces or other races, we maybe have models that are too large. we should start normalizing and standartizing gaming world first and look for solutions. and test and think about all other existing problems and consequences long term, when offering other races/subraces.“

taunakas ie are a sub race of taurens. but they are a bit taller. devs provide general solutions. they dont want to think and measurre and test the same things again and again. so, when ion is asking „can we provide taunakas as playable race ?“ the devs would go „ah, wait, we look at it...“ 2 days later: „no, sorry“. so then ion asks „hmm ok. but can we do xxx as playable race?“ 2 days later aftr measurre and testing again... „no, sorry“. and so on. after a while „yes, this one we can do!“.... i think you got it. this isnt how that stuff is done.

that just isnt how software development and game development works. WHEN you touch some stuff and improve things, you do it from a greater point of view, and provide base mechanics to solve all higher layered stuff at once.

so, blizzard look at that stuff from a technical point of view. and from there, they dont differ between the 2. the only thing that cares here are game design descissions. pure „marketing“. WHAT races and sub races should be provided to dont overdue it but make all happy. and not WHICH, race or subraces.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2017-10-24 at 04:51 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would like to have Ogres for Horde and Subraces for everybody, but that's a lot to ask for. The Alliance can get Ethereals, Naga, or Vrykul or something as their form of new race.

"Only Beasts are above deceit" - Rexxar

Ogre would be great, but I think they really missed the ball on it long ago. TBC was a decent time to introduce them. Cata would have been a good chance. WoD would have been a good chance. I think they've missed their chance for it in WoD.

I like ogres. They'd need some actually interesting ones on our side that aren't Rexxar, though. Which I doubt Blizzard will do. Ogres will need a good "Hero" or two if people are going to embrace them.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2017-10-24 at 04:47 AM.

What race would y'all like to have been implemented before subraces? Or are subraces the thing you wanted more?
    Totally want Ogres as well. We should've got them in BC. In WoD....

Maybe a pirate based expansion? We often see them along side pirates in WoW (Shackle's Den).

Seriously. Ogres.

Last member of the classic Horde not playable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    one of the issues I see with Ogres is a practical one - fitting into doors, etc. I get that it's silly but I can't ride into the IF bank on certain mounts since they're too big... so how would Ogres work in that and similar situations? I mean, you could make them all small, (dwarf ogres?) but thats not what most people thing of when they think of ogres. They could shrink indoors but... again...
    As far as I know, the only canon source for ogre height in the Warcraft universe comes from the Traveler book, which puts average male height at 8 feet. This is shorter than than the 9' height of an upright troll, and equal to the 8' height given for Tauren in the TBC manual.

I'd guess that some ogre mobs being so big is a gameplay mechanic more than anything - no one bats an eye at 15 foot Gul'dan in the Nighthold. And besides, there are plenty of shorter ogres in game - hell, during Pilgrim's Bounty, there's an ogre the same size as a human male!

Anyways, folks keep bandying this around, but height shouldn't be any sort of impediment for playable ogres.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Ogre would be great, but I think they really missed the ball on it long ago. TBC was a decent time to introduce them. Cata would have been a good chance. WoD would have been a good chance. I think they've missed their chance for it in WoD.

I like ogres. They'd need some actually interesting ones on our side that aren't Rexxar, though. Which I doubt Blizzard will so. Ogres will need a good "Hero" or two if people are going to embrace them.
    I'd go to hell and back for Dagg, personally. But seriously, there have been some ogres that have had character development (Mog'dorg the Wizened, Lunk, Tormmok, Swar'jan, etc) but I 100% agree that they need to make more prominent (and serious) ogre characters in WoW itself. Hell, only the Stonemaul and Dunemaul clans are part of the Horde - and even then, the Dunemaul are slaves under the Bilgewater cartel.

OT: They could have both - orcs are a subrace of ogres in lore. Ogres could have their own story, their own model, their own animations, and be considered a subrace of the orcs as a means of organizing new playable races.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

7+ Year Old Account
    waiting for ogres since forever

i did not even lv a mage just because feels wrong not be Ogre magi, jesus its just about time

If we are geting some new bullshit subrac elves holy donger ffs

Cool but how would they fit in the Warsong Gulch tunnels?