Poll: Is GW2 the best free MMO in the MMO Market?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Is GW2 the best free MMO in the market?

Hello champions, good to see you.

So, let's be honest here: Best is really subjective, I know. People love to point at me because of my love for this game, and it's totally fair, but let's take a moment to discuss the F2P model of GW2:

You get the full leveling experience
    You can create every profession, except Revenant (a fair trade, IMO, as they're all cool.)
    You can create up to two characters (Not that many, but hey, I have the full game and I only play with Lotus)
    You can enjoy PvP in it's entirety.
    You can play WvW in it's entirety.

You can basically play one of the best MMO/game ever made in it's basic form for free, which is a very cool thing to do. Other games offer a lot of restrictions in the overall experience, and I think that GW2 is super fair with that, which helped the game a lot.

What is your opinion on this?

My vote is No, cause its poorly worded Poll and the game is not Truly Free 2 Play.

Its not Free, its B2P. Meaning you have to pay for Expansions and upgrading base game to bypass restrictions to experience the full game, but once you do, only pay wall you will encounter is new expansions. (Large content patches do not fall under-this) So yes I would say it is best in that it has no restrictions that are require a sub status or monthly fee.

But the game is B2P. The Free part of the base game is still a sliver of the game, you can not experience the game in its entirety with out paying for it.
    Last edited by EasyE; 2017-10-24 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
    Its not Free, its B2P. Meaning you have to pay for the base game but once you do NOTHING is locked behind pay walls or passes. So yes I would say it is best in that it has no restrictions that are require a sub or no benefits for a sub / patron status.
    Incorrect. The base game is now free.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
    Its not Free, its B2P. Meaning you have to pay for the base game but once you do NOTHING is locked behind pay walls or passes. So yes I would say it is best in that it has no restrictions that are require a sub or no benefits for a sub / patron status.
    As torgent have said, the base game is free. You can download it right now. It's been free for a while, actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You still need to buy the expansion pack, so the point stands. The game does need to be bought, making it 'B2P' or 'buy to play', not 'free to play'.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Free with restrictions. If you want to remove those restrictions you need to upgrade or find a base game code.

So it's limited F2P.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us...-Free-Core-HoT

So no. It's F2P for the base game and the full game requires a one time purchase. You cannot experience the entirety of the game on a free account.

So it's not a free MMO at all and calling it free is partly disingenuous. The base game is free with restrictions whereas the entirety of the game is Buy to Play.

I mean what do you get in the base game?

WvW? Woop de do most part that is just a zergfest.

Story. Core story was subpar at best and the Zhaitan fight an utter pile of garbage.

PvP. PvP is actually pretty decent in the game so a worthwhile thing there for PvP players.

Fractals. Decent but eventually just become a grindfest. Can't say I ever did them much since Ascended Gear was pretty much me done for the build.

World bosses. Mindless zergfests for the most part. Literally Tequatl has you moving back and forth. Jormag has some minor interesting stuff but the rest of them are a zerg. Most people just sit at the camp waiting for Ulgoth for example. Although they have to be accessible to all.

My point being the OP made this thread with a clear bias. Not hard to see.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 03:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Story. Core story was subpar at best and the Zhaitan fight an utter pile of garbage.
    Trufax.

I think Tera is a much more enjoyable F2P game that GW2.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

GW2 isn't free, you have to buy the expansion's.

As for best B2p MMO....Ya I don't really disagree there.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    that depends entirely on what you restrict MMO to, is this just RPGs or everything?

I'd much rather play Planetside 2 than any other free MMO on the market that I have tried, but it's definitely not an MMORPG. As far as MMORPGs go, GW2 isn't free so I can't say it counts, as to what one is best, I can't really say, I haven't played any of the newish F2P MMORPGs because I've been busy with other stuff and almost all of them have been the typical Korean grindfest MMO that I'm not interested in from the get go.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Since i just restarted it , literally 5 years after its obviously not F2P.

Game is still B2P in every aspect.

Sure, you can level and experience the original story but thats irrelevant, all old content seem to be done in averagely less than 5mins, or at least people that rushed me through dungeons cleaved shit down.

There is a "Meta" now, and in my case was "If you dont buy the expansion, you cant play Chronomancer, therefor you are useless".

Etc etc, no complains though, gave me 1 week of HoT/PoF quests, they were quite fun, but HoT was and is insanely annoying to navigate.

Either way, the F2P part is mostly pointless cause there is so much stuff to catch up on from the expansions, or else no one will even care you exist.

Now if all you wanna do is run around and RP, yeah maybe its okay there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is SWTOR not considered F2P since you have to buy its xpacs?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Is SWTOR not considered F2P since you have to buy its xpacs?
    F2P up until a certain point then you have to Buy for the full experience. Just like GW2 if that is the case.

Doesn't matter if one part of the game is F2P. If you have to buy to get the full experience then the game is not fully F2P.

Can I experience the full story on a F2P restricted account? No I can only experience everything upto the Arah story. And as I said Zhaitan is a horrible experience to give a free player from personal experience.

Deleted
    If you are going to dub it "Free to Play", you might as well just go ahead and call it "Pay to Win". Cause buying the expansions clearly gives you an advantage.

BTW: I don't agree it is free to play in the 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    If you are going to dub it "Free to Play", you might as well just go ahead and call it "Pay to Win". Cause buying the expansions clearly gives you an advantage.

BTW: I don't agree it is free to play in the 1st place.
    Nah they got the money part with lootboxes and dye kits which are by extension a loot box system. Nothing P2W in there but some of the Black Lion weapons are pretty as hell and some of the dyes are notoriously expensive. 6/25 so a low drop chance to boot.

Nothing like buying a Dye kit and getting one of the crappy dyes out of 25.

Or a Black Lion Chest and being bombared with mostly fluff rather than scraps.

In terms of model the games I'd list MMORPG and non MMO would be Warframe, Path of Exile and Wildstar.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 05:19 AM.

That shit doesn't even allow you to play all the classes for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    That shit doesn't even allow you to play all the classes for free.
    Makes sense with Revenant. It's an expansion job not a base one. Few games do have that restriction.

Although to be honest I kind of agree Revenant should be in the F2P account. Not like it's got anything gated mechanics wise behind the expansions themselves.

Deleted
    gild wars is not "Free" per say... As you have to buy the game, or atleast expations. BUT After that fact. I am not playing guild wars 2 right now. Nor have i for like 5 months, and even then i only returned for a month or so. beside that. I love guild wars. I Proudly say, beside wow GW2 Is my favorit MMO, The game is fun, it feels rewarding you can play at your own phase, you dont have to be "oooh i am level 15 i Have to leave the starting zone" No, you can do what i do, do every single starting zone.
    I do really love the game. Crafting makes sense(to some degree) gameplay is one of the best there is for MMO's. The story is "so so" Nothing special. but not bad...

in short: Not free. But best tbere is.

Deleted
    Nah they got the money part with lootboxes and dye kits which are by extension a loot box system. Nothing P2W in there but some of the Black Lion weapons are pretty as hell and some of the dyes are notoriously expensive. 6/25 so a low drop chance to boot.

Nothing like buying a Dye kit and getting one of the crappy dyes out of 25.

Or a Black Lion Chest and being bombared with mostly fluff rather than scraps.

In terms of model the games I'd list MMORPG and non MMO would be Warframe, Path of Exile and Wildstar.
    Hmm well not from that point of view... but it is pretty clear that vanilla specs cannot hope to compete with the elite specs expansions give you.

MMO developers are sneak now.
    Reach max level cap is just the beginning. For GW2, you have to grind for mastery points and agony resistance.
    For ESO, champion points.
    However, the Ad can claim that F2P can reach max levels !

WoW and FF14 are actually better compare to them.

All F2P games, there is always a catch.
    You just pick the least poison one.

7+ Year Old Account
    My point being the OP made this thread with a clear bias. Not hard to see.
    I made this thread because I want to know the opinions of others. I like the game, you dislike it, that's it.