Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    That's terrifying :/
    It's not really. That old senile drunk coot has a long history of smug rude one-liners towards journalists that noone should even give a damn at this point. The rest of the world just doesn't know because noone cares about the shithole he's the president of. But it makes a good headline.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You want the news media to reply holding up their machine guns, with the President’s name on it? What?

- - - Updated - - -

The free press? Are you honestly asking for a reason to love free press?
    Consider who you're responding to. The free press has no place in ideal fascist governments where Hillary must be scolded every second of the day.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Consider who you're responding to. The free press has no place in ideal fascist governments where Hillary must be scolded every second of the day.
    Theo is a conservative contrarian. It should be well known by now.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

7+ Year Old Account
    Journalism is a complete joke as a field, similar to gender studies.

I'm just learning about Babis right now. His positions look great, no migrant quotas, Czechs come first.

10+ Year Old Account
    should be fired instantly, totally unacceptable
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post

I'm just learning about Babis right now. His positions look great, no migrant quotas, Czechs come first.
    Do you also love the part where he is under investigation for fraud? dodged taxes? used his influence on a paper he owned?

10+ Year Old Account

you do realize journalism is how your even reading this news story right?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Is there some compelling reason to love them?
    You are free to hate any individual journalists or media outlets at your discretion.

But attacks on journalism as a whole are the actions of a wannabe fascist and should be met with force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Do you also love the part where he is under investigation for fraud? dodged taxes? used his influence on a paper he owned?
    Yes of course, if there is specific evidence of a violation then it has to be remedied.

Journalism is a complete joke as a field
    Straight up anti-intellectualism and distaste for facts.

Can't say I'm surprised, but it is nice to see you come out of the closet at last.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Straight up anti-intellectualism and distaste for facts.

Can't say I'm surprised, but it is nice to see you come out of the closet at last.
    If journalism was strictly the conveyance of objective facts that would be great. That's what I want journalism to turn into.

If journalism was strictly the conveyance of objective facts that would be great. That's what I want journalism to turn into.
    It's about as close to it as it will ever get. As with any field, there will be those who do it poorly, and that will always and forevermore be the case - but they are regulated both by internal and external pressures, including better information by better journalists.

Only those of the lugenpresse crowd think there is a serious problem going on with it (beyond the shenanigans of how the internet and social media work), because it's how they defend their crumbling world view as it gets beaten with reality.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    It's about as close to it as it will ever get. As with any field, there will be those who do it poorly, and that will always and forevermore be the case - but they are regulated both by internal and external pressures, including better information by better journalists.

Only those of the lugenpresse crowd think there is a serious problem going on with it (beyond the shenanigans of how the internet and social media work), because it's how they defend their crumbling world view as it gets beaten with reality.
    It's a nearly obsolete field, journalism is the steam power of the information industry. I'm not saying anything should be done about journalism, just that it should be verbally criticized just like everything else.

It's a nearly obsolete field, journalism is the steam power of the information industry.[/qu I'm not saying anything should be done about journalism, just that it should be verbally criticized just like everything else.
    It is criticized, it's never been free from criticism. Except in instances of state-run media or something similar. But free press as an institution has always been subject to criticism both from without and within. Claiming journalism is obsolete is complete bunk. Just because Trump and the right wing brigade have decided to go to war with media because they say "mean" things about the Trump administration doesn't mean that the industry is "dead".

So where do you get your news, out of interest?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It is criticized, it's never been free from criticism. Except in instances of state-run media or something similar. But free press as an institution has always been subject to criticism both from without and within. Claiming journalism is obsolete is complete bunk. Just because Trump and the right wing brigade have decided to go to war with media because they say "mean" things about the Trump administration doesn't mean that the industry is "dead".
    I don't think journalism will become 100% obsolete, but that the vast majority of the population will naturally shift away from the traditional long form text news to either attention platforms(Twitter), or unscripted faster paced daily podcasts and YouTube channels. News and media will be bigger than ever, but new media platforms are not automatically journalism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So where do you get your news, out of interest?
    Currently I'm using a content aggregator called Inoreader. With a couple hundred RSS/Atom feeds, Google Alerts, Github notices, and more. I look for domain expertise or direct links to AV footage for live events. I'm not saying journalism is evil, just that it is based on writers who like to write. It's not based on getting good domain knowledge or the most ground truth.

I don't think journalism will become 100% obsolete, but that the vast majority of the population will naturally shift away from the traditional long form text news to either attention platforms(Twitter), or unscripted faster paced daily podcasts and YouTube channels. News and media will be bigger than ever, but new media platforms are not automatically journalism.
    Journalism isn't just writing really long articles...you realize that...right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Journalism isn't just writing really long articles...you realize that...right?
    It's also about stirring up as much trouble for profit or propaganda as we have seen with major news channels and websites.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they had a portrait of this guy in their offices.

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe the situation in the Czech Republic is most fked up. It's not that they are really struggling or have any of the immigration issues that other European countries have, it's not even that Babis hates the EU or the Euro (he's one of the few billionaires in the EU), or that the immigration issue is a real burning one, it's that the opposing parties were kind of weak and splintered among themselves. He's everything that would describe a corrupt politician that already did well under the communists and allegedly working as agent of the secret police. He just used every trick from the populist's cookbook and it brilliantly worked since most people love Hamelin's pied pipers.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I believe the situation in the Czech Republic is most fked up. It's not that they are really struggling or have any of the immigration issues that other European countries have, it's not even that Babis hates the EU or the Euro (he's one of the few billionaires in the EU), or that the immigration issue is a real burning one, it's that the opposing parties were kind of weak and splintered among themselves. He's everything that would describe a corrupt politician that already did well under the communists and allegedly working as agent of the secret police. He just used every trick from the populist's cookbook and it brilliantly worked since most people love Hamelin's pied pipers.
    Party that has "legalisation of piracy" as basicaly their only goal was THIRD. Speaks for itself.