Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Whispers in the dark nerf

Hello,

first of all: why the hell is nobody talking about it? I expected 10 posts on the first page about this very subject here. Wake up people.

second of all: How does this impact us? Especially concerning affliction. Can`t seem to sim it yet anywhere, but noticing that the minus haste buff (devils due) did not change, it appears the balance is quite off, reducing its value a ton. The haste and the devils due on my own 905 whispers is 25% haste vs 17% devils due, which was previously like 44% to 17%. This is massive and i really doubt those extra 300 intellect compensation means anything.

Patch notes:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Items
    Convergence of Fates now reduces the remaining cooldown on one of your powerful abilities by 4 seconds (was 5 seconds), and has 10% more primary stat.
    Whispers in the Dark cast speed bonus reduced by 40%, and has 20% more primary stat.
    A number of class set items from legacy content can now be sold to vendors.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...-2-Patch-Notes

It seems like a terrible nerf, but seeing as it might still be viable, I`ll just sit back and see what someone with more knowledge on the subject has to say...

Of course. The VERY NEXT DAY after I finally got a relinquished whispers...f'ing Blizzard, lol. Oh well. I'm sure the guys over at Lock shop will update their trinket sims soon enough, then we'll see how bad it is.

Deleted
    Oh look, 40% nerf for casters, 10% for melee

Basically this looks like "we know the current content trinkets are shit, so to make them stink less we're nerfing the old ones"

I had a titanforged 915 heroic whispers, and it went from 44% to 25% haste.

Of course, the devils due debuff stayed exactly where it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post

Basically this looks like "we know the current content trinkets are shit, so to make them stink less we're nerfing the old ones"

I had a titanforged 915 heroic whispers, and it went from 44% to 25% haste.

Of course, the devils due debuff stayed exactly where it was.
    Pretty cancer, tbh. The trinkets from burning throne were going to be good, they didn't need to gut whispers. They could have just changed the titanforge cap for older items.

Can they at least nerf arcano crystal too?

Deleted
    My 905 whispers simmed previously exactly the same as a 930 haste statstick. Looks like ill be running a statstick for ST tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Neyzio View Post
    no point they're giving everyone an ilvl 1000 arcano in antorus.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neyzio View Post
    never because that item alone gives pointless argus arcanite farming a reason for nearly all players. So free endless content...yay.

Besides did anyone really still want to use whispers for the new raid? Its had its time. Time to try new trinkets

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    You fail at math. Convergence was nerfed by 20% and got a 10% primary stat buff. Which is exactly in line with Whispers getting nerfed by 40% and an offsetting 20% primary stat buff.

Now, how much does the offsetting stat buff actually make up for the Haste loss? I dunno. People can only report subjective raid results for now. The sims should update in a few days, and then we'll have a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nicci View Post
    Hello,

first of all: why the hell is nobody talking about it? I expected 10 posts on the first page about this very subject here. Wake up people.

second of all: How does this impact us? Especially concerning affliction. Can`t seem to sim it yet anywhere, but noticing that the minus haste buff (devils due) did not change, it appears the balance is quite off, reducing its value a ton. The haste and the devils due on my own 905 whispers is 25% haste vs 17% devils due, which was previously like 44% to 17%. This is massive and i really doubt those extra 300 intellect compensation means anything.

Patch notes:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Items
    Convergence of Fates now reduces the remaining cooldown on one of your powerful abilities by 4 seconds (was 5 seconds), and has 10% more primary stat.
    Whispers in the Dark cast speed bonus reduced by 40%, and has 20% more primary stat.
    A number of class set items from legacy content can now be sold to vendors.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...-2-Patch-Notes

I do not believe Sims need to be updated because the logic behind Whispers has not changed only the numbers.

its no different then you used to sim'ing a 905 vs 955....the logic is the same, just the stats are different.

I ran sims comparing an 865 Arcano, 910 Whispers, and a 920 Talisman (owl). On single target all combinations were within 6k dps of eachother. Personally I'm a fan of nerfs like this and I hope they hit Arcanocrystal. This makes it so we won't have to farm old content hoping for crazy titanforges. I think they should have held off on the nerf until the raid opens and announced the change in advance and just done it via hotfix.

Despite being really good, whispers is a frustrating trinket to play with. Everyone I know that has it (self-included) has a love/hate relationship with it. No one I know will be sad to let it go after 1-2 tiers of using it.

I also don't get the seeming inconsistency of not being willing to nerf arcanocrystal but being willing to nerf whispers in the dark, but this isn't a reason not to nerf whispers. Really, its just more of an indictment of the logic behind not nerfing arcanocrystal.

In isolation, this is a good nerf and welcome news for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Turturin the Warlock View Post
    Despite being really good, whispers is a frustrating trinket to play with. Everyone I know that has it (self-included) has a love/hate relationship with it. No one I know will be sad to let it go after 1-2 tiers of using it.

In isolation, this is a good nerf and welcome news for many.
    I'm definitely happy about it. That said, I do like the style of play it fosters - similar to the Fulmination Charge. I like reactive play versus static gain (whispers versus stat stick for example). Hence the love/hate relationship for me at least...

In raidbots you can checkbox PTR for the updated whispers nerf.

Yeah whispers can go die in a fire, not at all upset by this.

Also pretty obvious that something that would scale the way whispers does would get nerfed into the ground so that other trinkets would become relevant. This has been happening for some time now, its like expecting that UVLS wasn't going to get nerfed.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    Of course. The VERY NEXT DAY after I finally got a relinquished whispers...f'ing Blizzard, lol. Oh well. I'm sure the guys over at Lock shop will update their trinket sims soon enough, then we'll see how bad it is.
    RIP mate

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    no point they're giving everyone an ilvl 1000 arcano in antorus.
    Yeah well, the thing is... 2 arcanocrystals are always better than one

For most classes after obtaining the ilvl1000 legendary, there will still be incentive to farm that regular 970 tf arcanocrystal. Or antorus has to drop WILDLY good trinkets, like tarnished medaillion level stuff but its effect being AoE or something.

Deleted
    A quick question for you guys, after the whispers nerf. I'm kinda stuck between 3 trinkets. I've been using my 865 arcano pretty much since i got it and used whispers as the next one. I got a 910 Padawsen's unlucky charm which seems like a nice stat stick with 2264 int and 408 mast/haste/crit. I also have a 915 Tarnished Sentinel and a 915 Terror from below. What would you recommend as the go to trinket with my old crystal?

Whispers is still pretty damn good, though of course there is actual competition with ToS trinkets now. I expect mythic raiders to swap it for other things, barring the few lucky people with insane TF procs on their Whispers. For early mythic/heroic raiders, Whispers can easily remain the best choice for quite some time.