Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Becoming?

I think North & South America specifically are long beyond obesity "becoming" normalized.
    This peice is not US based but I have seen a change of recent years where they are trying to build themselves as some kind of repressed minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Just because I don't have a reason to give a shit about what someone thinks about my weight doesn't mean I don't give a shit about anything at all, so I am not seeing your point.
    If you didn't care then you wouldn't be so adamant about saying you don't care. xD

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    If you didn't care then you wouldn't be so adamant about saying you don't care. xD
    Again, not seeing your point, since what I posted doesn't mean I don't give a shit about anything at all.

When I see people say "well if fatties don't like it, then they can just stop being fat" it makes me wonder "well if it's that easy for fat people to get skinny, then it should be that easy for you to stop giving a fuck about what random people look like and worry about your own self".

Everyone has a problem with someone else's problems/choices while pretending their own problems/choices aren't as bad. Why anyone should have a problem with seeing a fat person is beyond me, really. Why anyone should care if some random person is fat is beyond me. We see unattractive people anywhere we look...but to see an unattractive person who is not attractive for a reason that you don't share (like being fat, missing teeth, shitty tattoos) it all of a sudden becomes a mental-thing of "I am better than that person, regardless of what my own problems are". It's drilled into our heads to judge everyone for things we are not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    When I see people say "well if fatties don't like it, then they can just stop being fat" it makes me wonder "well if it's that easy for fat people to get skinny, then it should be that easy for you to stop giving a fuck about what random people look like and worry about your own self".

Everyone has a problem with someone else's problems/choices while pretending their own problems/choices aren't as bad. Why anyone should have a problem with seeing a fat person is beyond me, really. Why anyone should care if some random person is fat is beyond me. We see unattractive people anywhere we look...but to see an unattractive person who is not attractive for a reason that you don't share (like being fat, missing teeth, shitty tattoos) it all of a sudden becomes a mental-thing of "I am better than that person, regardless of what my own problems are". It's drilled into our heads to judge everyone for things we are not.
    It's not just aesthetics. Obesity costs healthcare systems - which we all pay into - a massive amount of money each year.

Furthermore, we live in a connected society. Losses in productivity are shared. We each have an interest in the lives and good health of others. And that's a good thing, too. People should just not be rude or mean about it.

"Discrimination from doctors" - so basically they're saying that if a doc says they should try to lose some weight through healthier eating and whatnot, that's "fat shaming"?

Well, considering being stupid and ignorant is on a fast track to becoming the norm, being fat will naturally follow with ignorance. "McDonalds made me fat, when I ate my meals there!1!(sobemoji)"
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Everyone responds differently to different things. Shame me about my weight and you will just get stared at while I continue to live my life not giving a shit about what you think about my weight. I have no reason to give a shit about what you think about my weight, you see.
    I guess you missed the part about that shame needing to be personal, or coming from within. I also mentioned that we shouldn't encourage unhealthy lifestyles, but I never advocate for others to shame you because that's not their position to do so. They won't lose the weight for you, that's all an individual's responsibility to do.

And thanks for the obvious about different responses to different approaches. Most diet regimens, however, work for most people. The difference is in what a person can stick with. I've heard ketogenic diets working well, but I like having some carbs in my life, so I do intermittent fasting because I know I can stick with it. You find the diet and exercise plan that works for you.

But I don't buy an excuse that they had "tried everything and it didn't work." There's usually either more to the story, or a lack of discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It's not just aesthetics. Obesity costs healthcare systems - which we all pay into - a massive amount of money each year.

Furthermore, we live in a connected society. Losses in productivity are shared. We each have an interest in the lives and good health of others. And that's a good thing, too. People should just not be rude or mean about it.
    This irony is lost on most people. As an American with dual citizenship who lives overseas, I am always shocked when I see how fat Americans are.

Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    an excuse
    To need an excuse would mean that people are obligated to be the weight you want them to be. They aren't, so they don't need an excuse.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-10-27 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    So I was browsing the news while I was bored at work and came across this article that is trying to normalise bad health. Do you think the accepting of obesity has gone to far. If tgis role was reversed amd was about anorexia there would be outrage.

Link: http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/20...f-talk/9071462
    if companies wouldnt for years artificially adjusting sizes of clothes in certain part of world then the problem wouldnt be so neglected.

its not national bashing - but in certain developed country size XL is of the size XXXL in EU - if people realise that very often they are wearing already size XXXXL instead XXL then would stop eating like pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    This peice is not US based but I have seen a change of recent years where they are trying to build themselves as some kind of repressed minority.
    They have obviously succeeded at building themselves...

Because, fundamentally, the fact is even with the increased chance of health conditions when being obese, modern medicine and general knowledge has allowed people to generally live their entire lives in relative good health while obese.

I mean honestly, people who are obese living to their 70s is a dream compared to people in the 1860s barely living to 45 because a fucking dick infection.
    Last edited by Blamblam41; 2017-10-27 at 06:23 AM.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Only read the title.

I'm morbidly obese, and allow me to say: yes.

I've been fighting my binge eating habit/disorder for the better part of a decade now. I decided earlier this year to sign up for weight loss surgery. I figured the wait is long anyway, might as well sign up. If I haven't got this under control by then, I'll have that tool in my toolbelt.

Fast forward to me meeting a counselor (prerequisite for the surgery). We've had five sessions now, and the gist of what she has said to me is that I should focus on loving my body as it is. She repeated falsehoods like doctors lying about the negative impact weight has on people, saying that you can live a healthy life as an obese person. She even directed me to Ragen fucking Chastain for a role model.

Yes, obesity is not being treated as it should be. I'm not saying we should shame every obese person into suicide. We need to treat the body like a machine, because that's what it is. If you mistreat it, and don't give it the proper care, it will fall apart sooner than it should. Your value as a person is not all in your body, but if you fuck up your body, you won't be worried about your value for long. You'll be too busy being dead long before most healthy weight people.

Fat chicks are health, okay?
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Any time I see (blank) shaming. I just roll my eyes.
    One of the biggest issues causing obesity is time. If someone is working a ton of time. Chances are they're not eating well.
    Any time I see puns, I chuckle. A ton. lol.

But seriously, shaming a person is not the best way to change behavior. That goes for many things such as smoking, alcoholism, and I'll include overeating in that list. Generally they know their behavior is destructive; a simple shame does nothing to get to the psychological issues underlying that behavior.

I'm pretty sure I'm not making this up.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    "Discrimination from doctors" - so basically they're saying that if a doc says they should try to lose some weight through healthier eating and whatnot, that's "fat shaming"?

Well, considering being stupid and ignorant is on a fast track to becoming the norm, being fat will naturally follow with ignorance. "McDonalds made me fat, when I ate my meals there!1!(sobemoji)"
    no. what it means is that doctors literally continuously misdiagnose people, utterly convinced that their issues are due to weight, while ignoring other symptoms. people can go years with undiagnosed thyroid issues (which btw are not as easy to treat as another poster claimed, you have to find the correct medication AND the correct dosage, among other things), undiagnosed sports injuries (oh yes), etc. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/h...alth-care.html

should people work on being healthier and fit? yes. but we have GOT to spot blaming every. single. problem. on fat. and now, I'm not fat in case anyone wonders, I'm well within "healthy weight" parameters of even as shitty of a system as BMI. I have merely not just read, but seen friends and acquaintances experience years of "you just need to lose weight" only to finally find out that they health issues had NOTHING to do with their weight, though treating them certainly helped because treating actual issues allowed them to be more physically active without causing themselves injury.

and no. shaming does NOT help. positive reinforcement and focus on actual fitness progress does. fitness as in NOT what you look like, but what your body can do. actual fitness not superficial idea that passes for fitness in our society. skinny=/= automatically equal fit.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponizedPillows View Post
    Only read the title.

I'm morbidly obese, and allow me to say: yes.

I've been fighting my binge eating habit/disorder for the better part of a decade now. I decided earlier this year to sign up for weight loss surgery. I figured the wait is long anyway, might as well sign up. If I haven't got this under control by then, I'll have that tool in my toolbelt.

Fast forward to me meeting a counselor (prerequisite for the surgery). We've had five sessions now, and the gist of what she has said to me is that I should focus on loving my body as it is. She repeated falsehoods like doctors lying about the negative impact weight has on people, saying that you can live a healthy life as an obese person. She even directed me to Ragen fucking Chastain for a role model.

Yes, obesity is not being treated as it should be. I'm not saying we should shame every obese person into suicide. We need to treat the body like a machine, because that's what it is. If you mistreat it, and don't give it the proper care, it will fall apart sooner than it should. Your value as a person is not all in your body, but if you fuck up your body, you won't be worried about your value for long. You'll be too busy being dead long before most healthy weight people.
    I'll be honest, most healthy skinny people I know die, too. The problem with this entire sentiment is that the entire goal of life is to live longer. And I get that, cool. But... At the same time did anyone ever wonder if this wasn't everyone's goal in life, fundamentally?

We're all here for different things, I'm just saying that maybe confusing an optional lifestyle with a mandatory living requirement is a little on the nose.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly we're not shaming fat people enough.

The obesity epidemic, especially in the western world, is only getting worse. Maybe if we made life really fucking intolerable for fat people it would be enough of a deterrant to not get fat. Because getting fat is a choice, no matter what anyone tries to claim about genetics.

Or maybe we should all go "Yay go fatties! Be you!" and wait until the majority of the adult population is confined to their own beds/homes and dying of heart failure at age 37.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing.

Being fat is not healthy. Pretending that it is, is not healthy. And I'm under no obligation to find you "pretty" or "attractive" if you're fat.

And on the other hand, if someone else is fat, it's probably none of your business to judge them. There's no need to make comments or be rude about it.
    Putin khuliyo

To need an excuse would mean that people are obligated to be the weight you want them to be. They aren't, so they don't need an excuse.
    I don't know if you're deliberately taking me out of context or just baiting me, but I never said people are required to be a weight that I decree they should be. Go be an obese shit that can't breathe well after stairs or grunts a little when bending over to tie shoes, I don't care it's your life.

My entire paragraph, from which you took two words, was about people who say they can't lose weight and give up because "I've tried everything and it doesn't work." You either haven't found the right diet and exercise plan for you or you have no discipline.