Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Outside of those few medical reasons then sure why not.

There is literally nothing different than someone who can't resist eating a an entire pizza and someone who cannot resist smoking a crack pipe.

Both products create physical/mental addictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No, it's an eating too much for your activity level problem.
    Well, Tourette is also just cursing too much for your decency level.
    The question is why are they eating too much for their activity level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    No, there aren't, only excuses. There's only one cause: you eat more than you consume, because it's good. I grew up in a communist country and the only few fat people were the ones that had access to TASTY food. And we can't say that it wasn't like a general depression. But apparently depression doesn't make you eat margarine until you get the size of a truck. I wonder why... hmmm maybe because IT FUCKING SUCKS? Lol
    Nothing like proving you don't know anything about the subject matter, eh?
    Well, hmm, you might try googling "medical reasons for weight gain" and educating yourself.
    You'll find plenty of websites giving many real medical issues that lead to weight gain which the person has no actual control over.

I would say that it obesity can be considered as much of an eating disorder as anorexia. I mean honestly if we believe one extreme is a mental eating disorder then the other extreme should also be considered an eating disorder.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is as much a mental disorder as anything in which fail at self discipline. So if you want to call a propensity to drive too fast, or to spend too much time playing computer games, or to cheat on your partner a mental disorder, then sure by all means, classify obesity as a mental disorder.

Personally I think it's neither an accurate, nor useful way of classifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    I'd say obesity is an addiction. I can't speak for everyone but when I was fat it was sugar that cause it. Or perhaps not directly but the things I ate that contained sugar made me fat. I don't recon it should be treated as a mental health problem but like an addiction.
    The addiction here is sugar, not obesity. Obesity is a result of your addiction. Just like Obesity can be the result of a mental disorder or some other health issues. Obesity in itself is not something, it's always the result of something else.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I would say that it obesity can be considered as much of an eating disorder as anorexia. I mean honestly if we believe one extreme is a mental eating disorder then the other extreme should also be considered an eating disorder.
    I disagree.

Anorexia involves overriding your body's natural instinct to eat. Obesity on the other hand involves doing exactly what your body wants you to do in an environment which allows your body's natural instincts to put it out of control.

As animals, we are designed to constantly want to eat as much as we can on the premise that food, which is vital for life, is a scarce resource. But we live in an environment in which we have changed the latter. The requirement on us is to exercise self discipline in the face of an abundant food supply.

Obesity is not the result of any disorder. It's the result a lack of self discipline. We're not going to fix the problem by trying to address a mental dysfunction. We should be trying to fix it by learning how to be disciplined in what we eat, a skill that up until fairly recently we didn't really need.

I honestly believe that the last 40-50 years of dietary "science" is to blame. And yes, there is an addiction component to it also because your body is extremely susceptible to carbs and there's some evidence sugars are more addictive than even cocaine.

Lipid Theory has significantly been repudiated. The only bad fat is easy to identify: partially hydrogentated oils aka trans-fats (a processed food alternative to normal fats found in food, created during butter scarcity circa WWII). You probably can't regulate cholesterol because your body does that itself, and there's likely a strong genetic component to it that you cannot alter. Statins are almost certainly 100% pure bullshit except in extreme cases.

High carb is a really bad idea because carbs are simply sugars once they hit your digestive system. fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. Worst offender: high fructose corn syrup (a processed food alternative to more natural sugars, created because of greed and corn subsidies, also fructose can only be metabolized by the liver).

Processed foods are generally a pretty bad idea. I place any GMO food in this category if the precise nature of its modification is for reasons of pesticide use, increased sugar/fructose for flavor appeal, or ease of industrial farming.

If all one did was to refuse to eat any significant carbs that would have the effect of eliminating a huge amount of processed foods and excess calories from one's diet. Get some sun (vitamin D). Stop eating vegetable oils (except maybe olive or coconut oils), eat nuts and fish - this has to do with Omega 3 balance. Eat at least 1 pound of vegetables a day, mainly leafy greens. Limit fruits, drink zero fruit juice eat the fruit instead.
    Last edited by Louisa Bannon; 2017-10-27 at 02:28 PM.

heres the real mental health problem: no one ever wants to do their share, and they expect others to pick up not only their slack but after them also.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    I honestly believe that the last 40-50 years of dietary "science" is to blame.
    I believe that our "blame" culture is to blame. If we halted with our obsession of trying to worm our way out of any form of personal responsibility by trying to find some external, beyond-our-control factors, this problem would evaporate.

The simple fact is that our bodies and their natural instincts are designed/evolved to survive in a food-scarce environment. But we have changed our environment to one which is now food-abundant. What we have failed to do is adapt our behaviour in an appropriate way to our new environment, and worse yet, because we're always trying to find something other than ourselves to blame, we never actually address the problem. Hence the obesity "epidemic".

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    And yes, there is an addiction component to it also because your body is extremely susceptible to carbs and there's some evidence sugars are more addictive than even cocaine.
    False. If you actually research this, the study and its conclusions are largely disputed. It's nothing more than sensationalist BS that gained popularity because we would rather be able to point the finger at something to blame than accept personal responsibility for our choices.

The fact is that we like to eat sweet things. And we live in a world where such things are readily available. If we don't exercise self control it is very easy to over-consume and get fat. Unfortunately we are developing a culture in which we choose to believe that we're entitled to self gratification, while placing the blame for the consequences elsewhere.

The rest of what you say I generally agree with, but I would rather put the emphasis on learning to moderate our food intake rather than trying to classify food as "good food" vs "bad food". Most of our problems are due to simply eating too much, and labelling some foods as "healthy", while not necessarily inaccurate, leads to people choosing to overindulge under the false belief that we can somehow compensate for eating too much of x by eating more of y and then wondering why the hell we're getting so fat.

For example, a bran muffin (generally considered "good" because it is high in fibre) should not be added to a plate of bacon, eggs, sausages, waffles, hash-browns, french-toast (with added sugar), omelette and fried tomato and mushroom to try and make the meal healthier. Yet I have witnessed this kind of behaviour. I can see the thought process "I know this meal is very unhealthy, but hell, if I add the muffin then it won't be as bad" /facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it can be a side product of a mental health problem.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Overeating (comfort eating) is not unusual in cases of depression. Depressed people eat food to feel happier.

In general I think "being lazy" is a lazy explanation to the problem, at least if you are interested in solving it rather than demonizing it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I don't think it's any one thing specifically. I could see the mental part of it but I think the biggest thing would be just how easily available crap food is. The next thing I would say is a person's individual metabolism.

I would consider myself a bit past the normal/overweight line, 5'10 and 200 lbs. Most of my day is sitting at a desk, with a some physical activity (mostly just movement) at work and when I get home. I've gone a little overboard the last couple months with pop and eating out, so I added about 10 lbs. (was 190ish). Now starting to cut back on pop and cooking again, seeing it start to fall off. So there's a little effort required by me.

My coworker on the other hand, is a twig. He eats like a horse and constantly, (some fruits but mostly little debbie like things) and is at the computer about as much as I am. As far as home activity, I would guess slightly more active than me (chasing around two younger kids). He doesn't gain a pound...but interestingly he doesn't lose it either from what he's said; when he makes an effort to be more active in the evenings (exercise machine). 0 effort required.

Is this an excuse? No, but I don't think the topic is as black and white as some want to make it.

Food addiction is no different than alcohol or drug addiction. However, not all obese people have a food addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    it's the governments fault for not regulating junk food.

blame them.

- - - Updated - - -

"healthy" and "exciting" foods usually suck. well, they suck to eat eeeeveryday. besides, to make those foods exciting, what do you add? salt? i bet its salt.
    Okay, for example tonight I had Wholewheat Pasta with Pork mince (5% fat) and porcini mushroom ragu. Super easy and cheap, takes 10 minutes, made enough for 3 meals.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Okay, for example tonight I had Wholewheat Pasta with Pork mince (5% fat) and porcini mushroom ragu. Super easy and cheap, takes 10 minutes, made enough for 3 meals.
    ok that sounds pretty good
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    Why would you ask that to a forum of people who are not mental health professionals? Almost no one here is qualified to answer that question. Just seems like you're trolling for shitty opinions.
    If that is your opinion (and you are clearly allowed to have it ) then wtf are you doing one these forums.
    Take a look around, and I bit you welcome!

Ot: how is it mental? Like caused by a state of depression or something?
    The fact that lately some seem to accept it as being "healthy" that's the real mental issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    If it were, for the sake of argument, what are you going to do?

Lock up all fat people and starve them until they are skinny? Haha.

I am down with 3 hots and a comfortable cot that I don't have to pay for.

Lock me up, I will go willingly!
    I will feed you tofu all day long!

Deleted
    Is dismissing all overweight people as "lazy" a mental health problem, lack of education, or just general ignorance?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The way our body functions is as follows (in layman terms):
    1. When you are hungry your body secretesa chemical that makes you crave food.
    2. When you fill your stomach your body secretes a chemical that neutralizes the first chemical and makes you feel "do not want to eat".
    3. There's a delay obviously, it's not an instantenious effect. So you keep eating even though you are full, normally the delay is around 20 minutes.

Now here's the fun part:

When you consume daily more than your body needs (due to the 20 minutes delay that's very easy) the part of the brain that is responsible for triggering the secretion of the second chemical STOPS working (it feels neglected and becomes sad).

Now here's the even funnier part:

It stops working LONG BEFORE you become visibly fat.

So that's how people can (easily) become fat in the western world (abundance of high caloric food).

Now here's the kicker:

Hypernormalization - it works like this: you don't become fat overnight. You grow slowly. You become accustomed to small (hyper) weight gains. They become normal. The next hyper weight gain is treated as trivial as the very first one. You are fat but you don't consider it a problem becuase it's just a small weight gain compared to what you have been conditioned to by your own mind. You don't get fat you are just getting "fatter", you know like with aging, same bullshit. And for some people the fact that they are actually VERY FAT comes as a SHOCKER at certain point and then there's "oh well cannot go back now".
    Interesting, thank you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prinky Doodsie View Post
    Two threads prompted me post this. Is obesity becoming to normalised and what's wrong with you?

Effects of obesity and exercise: Is obesity a mental health issue? The Harvard Mental Health Letter investigates

Not so long ago, it was commonly believed that overweight and obese people were compulsive eaters, anxious, depressed, under stress, or trying to compensate for deficiencies in their lives. But today, when almost everyone seems to be getting heavier and obesity has become a national issue, both experts and the public are dismissing the idea that weight gain is a personal emotional problem. The October issue of the Harvard Mental Health Letter looks at the undefined relationship between mental health and obesity.

The American Psychiatric Association has never regarded overeating or excess weight as a psychiatric disorder, and most obese people do not qualify for a psychiatric diagnosis. Accordingly, most studies do not find a clear association between mental health and weight.

But with the abundance of overweight people, there is plenty of room for exceptions. Some research suggests that depressed persons are more likely to develop the metabolic syndrome that often accompanies excess weight, especially when this weight is concentrated around the waist. People may console themselves with "comfort food", which is usually high in fat, sugar, and calories because they are anxious, lonely, angry, or suffering from low self-esteem. There is a characteristic type of depression with symptoms that include lethargy and overeating. Like most mind-body interactions, obesity can lead to ill health, which is linked to depression and anxiety.

Additionally, overweight people are also more likely to lose the psychological benefits of exercise. If they feel rejected, unattractive, or suffer social discrimination, the emotional strain may cause further weight gain. The problem is worse if they fail to lose weight and are blamed (or blame themselves) for lack of self-control.

The October issue discusses the therapeutic approaches available for obesity. A common approach is behavioral therapy, often in groups directed by a dietitian or psychologist. The pillars of this therapy are self-monitoring and stimulus control. Therapy may help dieters repel self-defeating thoughts and reject unrealistic goals.
    Some might have it like this. But not all.
    For some it's a mental health issue. For others it's a physical one. Perhaps even a dependency issue or addiction for some too.