Deleted

Flash Heal v Binding Heal

Flash Heal v Binding Heal

It is my humble opinion that Flash Heal (FH) has now gone the way of Prayer of Healing (PoH) in becoming a main stay M+ heal and only used situationaly in Raid healing. Ok, so lets do the math...

Flash heal /475% sp + Echo of Light /185% sp = 650% sp with 1.2 sec cast
    Binding Heal /300% sp + Echo of Light /117% sp = 417% sp with 1.2 sec cast X 3 = 1251% sp

That means for every flash heal at 650% sp you can cast a Binding heal for 1251% sp over the same cast time. Even if you take the Trail of Light talent you only add 260% sp to make a total of 920% sp. So without the ToL Talent (Never take this) your BH is almost twice as powerful as your FH.
    I have heard the argument that you want to put all your sp into that one target with a flash heal to get them up asap, but is it really worth it when a FH gives them 650% sp and they get 417% from BH? 64% of the input (single target) from 60% of the mana a Flash Heal costs.

So all that math makes the brain hurt but there is a certain sanity in my theory... Because of the mana cost of the Bh you can cast almost twice as often as a FH while getting twice as much output per cast... wow, twice the output twice as often? yeps. So although the FH concentrates a little more output on a single target the BH is beter for raid wide healing keeping more people topped more often. In reality you don't always need to cast twice as much BH as FH so the mana saving is enormous, and this gives you so much opportunity to LET RIP. You have the capability to constantly and consistantly cast BH as a filler without ever running out of Mana. It is a smart heal so it will always target those that need the heal. You could argue that what if YOU don't need the heal, well in that case you are still healing two people and out performing a FH anyway. The reality is you can put yourself in positions that you would not normally and accept more damage knowing you are covered.
    No need to take the enlightenment talent because Mana isn't an issue anymore (you should always use leytorrent potion anyways), no need to take the Trail of Light becaue you rarely Flash heal so that leaves you with what i consider the ONLY choice and without doubt the strongest- Enduring Renewal. Binding heal will refresh the renew on YOU, your TARGET and the REFLECTIVE player as well. 3 renew refreshes in one cast. Of course you very rarely cast renew as a hard spell, it all comes from your Prayer of Mending (PoM). Precast it on yourself before the pull and it will stay there the whole fight. Because you take the Binding heal talent you don't take Piety. oh boy! the Piety build. It sounds so awesome - all that serendipity making sanctify available so often,,, but, I have run with many priests with this build and never, not once has this build beaten the Binding heal build for out put. NOT ONCE. i have given my thoughts to others and they have switched and never looked back. We are talking a 25 to 40% increase in output just by switching to BH build. Sanctify is still available to the BH build just not so often - but ask yourself, Do i need to use it that often, spend that mana so often and be FORCED to use Flash Heal and even worse... cast Heal because of mana concerns rather than because it's all i need to use. I found myself answering NO to all of the above.

BH refreshing renew on 3 players at once (if they have it), Benediction giving the renews through PoM. As you go deeper into the fight most of your raid has renew on them and you find yourself chasing the renew timer with binding heal. 30% of your healing coming from a pell you didn't even cast. In my opinion just as much fun as chasing those Atonement procs in disc. All this goes to making Binding Heal the most essential spell we have as a holy priest, a huge amount of fun and no healer gear for gear will be anywhere near your figures. Not even Disc.

Deleted
    these two aren't competing against each other

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Flash Heal vs Binding Heal is the wrong way to frame this discussion. I also think it's wrong to frame it as a comparison of raw healing done or HPS.

I think this spec has merit. I did something similar this week to deal with Bursting in Mythic+ with less than coordinated groups. And I think that's the sort of situation this spec is most suited for: constant periodical damage on multiple targets. This makes your Binding Heal and the Renew from Prayer of Mending do healing where and when it matters.

And that's where I think the discussion should take place: Does this spec do meaningful healing? And in some scenarios it will and in others it won't. In some situations Binding Heal will mostly be overhealing, whereas Flash Heal will be precisely directed. In some encounters the Renew will help you stabilize, in others it will be ticking on full health. You need to decide what trade-offs you want to make with your spec and I think that's cool.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I mean, Binding Heal doesn't REPLACE Flash Heal, you can still use both of them.

I use Binding Heal for general spot healing and Flash Heal for when one target needs big healing.

I love binding heal personally. Was always a good spell for me in past expansions. I switch to bh/er for 5 mans. Really comes in handy with those grevious weeks imo. As for using it in raid I'll use the Peity setup a lot but as an example last night guild was doing an alt run and I was going oom pretty quick.. switched to binding heal (still had enlightenment) and had 96% mana at the end of the fight. Since we run with a small number of players on some spread out fights BH is just way more efficient.

Newly rolled Holy Priest here...

How does the range work on Binding Heal? It says 40 yard range, but then it says target within 20 yards. I'm not great at maths, but I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post

How does the range work on Binding Heal? It says 40 yard range, but then it says target within 20 yards. I'm not great at maths, but I just don't get it.
    I guess it hits someone within 20 yards of you, and then 20 yards of that person

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post

The main target can be 40 yds and the secondary target can be up to 20 yards away from the primary target.
    At least that's my interpretation of it.

The original target of the spell can be anyone in 40 yards of you (the casting Priest), then the secondary heal will go to anyone within 20 yards of the original target, then the third heal will go to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz17 View Post
    I guess it hits someone within 20 yards of you, and then 20 yards of that person
    the primary target can be max of 40yrds from you, the extra target (which you don't choose) is within 20yrds of the primary target

Quote Originally Posted by HDPriest View Post
    The original target of the spell can be anyone in 40 yards of you (the casting Priest), then the secondary heal will go to anyone within 20 yards of the original target, then the third heal will go to you.
    Ah yes, that makes sense! Thx