Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Nothing prevents Blizzard
    True. "Nothing prevents Blizzard". However, that is a meaningless argument to have, considering that "nothing prevents Blizzard" from closing down all their games tomorrow. Just like "nothing prevents Blizzard" from doubling the subscription fee, removing WoW tokens, making the Death Knight class into cloth-wearing spell-caster and rename them 'Necromancers'. On top of that, "nothing prevents Blizzard" from deleting Vanilla forever, and all new characters then start at level 60 in Outland, and Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms are no more.

Because "nothing prevents Blizzard". See how meaningless that line of argumentation is?

compared to other options it would be a lot less work.
    So now you're a programmer at Blizzard and know how Blizzard develops their software?

There is nothing hard about doing raids at level 60 right now. You can walk into BWL in level 60 quest gear with 19 friends, half what "should" be required, and have zero problems whatsoever. There is no challenge. Yes, you're right that you can technically do it.
    Because old raids are exactly that: old. They're obsolete. If Blizzard hasn't done what you propose yet, it's likely that they believe that fine-tuning every single legacy raid to be just as challenging at their respective levels as they were when those raids were relevant is too much work for little reward. Because every class change would have to be done with those legacy raids in mind, making the process more complicated than it should be.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how legacy it is. Not knowing where to go in a quest would be a major turn off and some version of group finder would be nice because I don't want to have to wait outside dungeons for hours to get a group together or try to organize a group either. Maybe that's fine for raiding but I think group finder just for dungeons would be nice. No change in difficulty though.

That said, I'd love leveling in the old pre-cata Azeroth again taking forever just to level up a single level. I'd probably only ever do it on one character and I wouldn't take the character that seriously either but it'd be a fun to run around in old Defias Westfall again with Old Blanchy still alive and get killed 1000 times near the Deadmines entrance because all the mobs are too close together and throw fireballs or get my ass kicked by all those high level tigers and panthers in STV trying to run from rebel camp to booty bay without a mount because you can't get a mount till Level 40. Or getting to go through the thousand needles again with that cool elevator and the peaceful shimmering flats. Seeing Menethil Habor still in business would be rad. Also, the beauty that was Auberdine/Darkshore. And who could forget Southshore vs Tarren Mill?

It'd also be fun trying to earn money again when every copper mattered.

So yeah, I'd give it a go. Doesn't mean I'd stop playing current WoW but for a fun thing to do on the side, why not? While the questing experience in WoW has improved a lot and is more accessible for new players I do think Blizzard destroyed a lot of the beauty of old Azeroth and while it was cool at the time during Cata to see all these zones change now it's outdated and I think Cata's destruction did more harm than good for the long term of WoW. I miss a lot of those old zones. Loch Modan used to be one of the most beautiful places to level in WoW and now it's a pile of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    You know some people don't "ride past them" because they have quests around there and probably don't realize they pulled a swarm of elite casters.

But hey because the classes you play can easily solo down all of the rare spawns does not mean everyone can. I've seen more than enough people die in the imp caves to the rare you summon with the imp meat.

10 min cooldown =/= always available. You can run into multiple rare spawns in a 10 min window.

Am I saying Argus is hard? I'm saying it isn't as easy as you claim it is and in your words the only risk of death was being afk. Also you're the one making it seem like 13 years ago Vanilla is going to be SOOOO scary to people coming back to the game or seeing the game for the first time. Oh noez that mob might auto attack you to death, /yawn.
    Oh noez big scary elite mobs in my quest area whatever shall I do. If only there was a group finder with 50 groups up at a time that ports you to another server and loses all of the mobs chasing you upon joining one.

Sounds like you’re just playing the game wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CreatureLives View Post
    Depends on how legacy it is. Not knowing where to go in a quest would be a major turn off and some version of group finder would be nice because I don't want to have to wait outside dungeons for hours to get a group together or try to organize a group either. Maybe that's fine for raiding but I think group finder just for dungeons would be nice. No change in difficulty though.

That said, I'd love leveling in the old pre-cata Azeroth again taking forever just to level up a single level. I'd probably only ever do it on one character and I wouldn't take the character that seriously either but it'd be a fun to run around in old Defias Westfall again with Old Blanchy still alive and get killed 1000 times near the Deadmines entrance because all the mobs are too close together and throw fireballs or get my ass kicked by all those high level tigers and panthers in STV trying to run from rebel camp to booty bay without a mount because you can't get a mount till Level 40. Or getting to go through the thousand needles again with that cool elevator and the peaceful shimmering flats. Seeing Menethil Habor still in business would be rad. Also, the beauty that was Auberdine/Darkshore. And who could forget Southshore vs Tarren Mill?

It'd also be fun trying to earn money again when every copper mattered.

So yeah, I'd give it a go. Doesn't mean I'd stop playing current WoW but for a fun thing to do on the side, why not? While the questing experience in WoW has improved a lot and is more accessible for new players I do think Blizzard destroyed a lot of the beauty of old Azeroth and while it was cool at the time during Cata to see all these zones change now it's outdated and I think Cata's destruction did more harm than good for the long term of WoW. I miss a lot of those old zones. Loch Modan used to be one of the most beautiful places to level in WoW and now it's a pile of shit.
    Blizzard doesn’t need to spend valuable dev time making a quest helper for vanilla. If you really want noob mode there are addons for that, and sites akin to WoWhead with coordinates for vanilla quests.

If they do it sweet, if not sweet?

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Blizzard doesn’t need to spend valuable dev time making a quest helper for vanilla. If you really want noob mode there are addons for that, and sites akin to WoWhead with coordinates for vanilla quests.
    I really don't think it would be that much work.

That's the only thing I hated about vanilla was sometimes you wouldn't know where the fuck to go in some quests because they never even gave you an idea of where to look. Many of them were fine and you could figure em out but some weren't and then you'd have to use the internet. I'm not really asking for difficulty to change or anything like that just the game being more clear. Other than that I'd love to go back.

That's the only thing I hated about vanilla was sometimes you wouldn't know where the fuck to go in some quests because they never even gave you an idea of where to look. Many of them were fine and you could figure em out but some weren't and then you'd have to use the internet. I'm not really asking for difficulty to change or anything like that just the game being more clear. Other than that I'd love to go back.
    From what I can tell most quest give you enough directions to not make it too difficult. Sure, there are some that are a bitch to find, but it’s not too much trouble to look those up. Hell, I do that even in the current WoW because even with the quest tracker it can sometimes be vague as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Thottbot pretty much frozen in time at this point? It could go back to being the database for WoW quests.

Edit: RIP, nevermind, just looked out of curiosity. They merged with Wowhead (gross).

7+ Year Old Account
    I would have. long ago. ( early TBC for sure with the advent of cat, maybe wrath, What I would love to see and what may keep me playing for another decade is a rollback of live to a Vanilla or even better TBC format/class /raid design

The game is souless now. has been for awhile.

I found a cool crew to raid with after taking 5-6 years off. they aren't hardcore and that suits me fine. I'm going to see how I feel about the game after next teir and working fresh content with the team, perhaps consider what direction these newbie devs take the game post blizz con announcement of next xpack. then consider deleting my toons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh noez big scary elite mobs in my quest area whatever shall I do. If only there was a group finder with 50 groups up at a time that ports you to another server and loses all of the mobs chasing you upon joining one.

Sounds like you’re just playing the game wrong.
    Argus is as hard as any previous high level location. If you get gear - it's trivial (to some extend legion made it better with scaling and elite/rare spawns)

- - - Updated - - -

The already implemented quest helper into the wow, because literally everyone was using it as soon as they found it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post

The game is souless now. has been for awhile.
    Games don't have souls, it has as much soul as you put in it
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Argus is as hard as any previous high level location. If you get gear - it's trivial (to some extend legion made it better with scaling and elite/rare spawns)

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm NO. The gear part maybe, but only now they throw free gear at you. When was the last time you cc'ed really struggled. or needed to group (which wasn't in the description) to do a quest?

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post

The already implemented quest helper into the wow, because literally everyone was using it as soon as they found it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Just like They did Gearscore, I was a Tribute to dedicated insanity/HLK raider then, and we thought it to be a terrible addon, then they made it core.

What stuff like this was trivialize relationships and reputation server wide in game, just like LFD did. It's ok you have the wow you want, deserve, and know now.
    Last edited by Dsc; 2017-10-28 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    I can't vouch for buying the expansion with Battle.net balance since they introduced token to balance feature during this expansion, we will see next year when the expansion comes so I'm going to stand that WoW is not free to play for now but you may be right.

I disagree with your statement of game tokens were introduced to make game free, read my other posts... Activision Blizzard is a public company and profits is above all. Game token is merely another of their instruments to extract money from customers.
    Well, if you sell token it realy just registers as € on your Battle.net account, and I can't imagine the expansion would not not be purchasable through the Blizzard store. Profits above all indeed. But you seem to imply that F2P is not a valid economic model or even superior economic model. In-game monetization (gold selling, character services, store mounts, pets), and derived IP revenue (Films, books, T-shirts, mugs, ...) are the 'modern' ways of generating revenue. The 'old' ways: box sales and subscriptions, have been declining for a long time. The whole idea of paying a 'subscription' to a game is ridiculous to anyone under 20, yet they do not seem to have qualms about spending a fortune on Riot points.

Probably not. I played toward the end of Vanilla and start of BC, then quit until Wrath came out, and I've been playing ever since. I've experienced that part of WoW's timeframe, and I enjoy looking forward. I would be glad to have legacy servers as an option for those that really want them, but they hold no value for me.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    Ummm NO. The gear part maybe, but only now they throw free gear at you. When was the last time you cc'ed really struggled. or needed to group (which wasn't in the description) to do a quest?

Exactly. Just like They did Gearscore, I was a Tribute to dedicated insanity/HLK raider then, and we thought it to be a terrible addon, then they made it core.

What stuff like this was trivialize relationships and reputation server wide in game, just like LFD did. It's ok you have the wow you want, deserve, and know now.
    Like, ever. Even in vanilla i hardly needed anyone to do quests. If i REALLY wanted to take down an elite back then (just if i REALLY want to kill that rare spawn on argus, i just had to use all my buttons, but that's perks of playing a mage). Then they started adding bullshit to elites like "you can't slow or root this fucker lololol" to force players getting into groups and i just skipped them whatsoever. Well, outside of end game content, end game content is always easier in the group

Gearscore and ilvl are vastly different, ilvl is a "raw" indication of players power (basically, how much stats in general a player has), gearscore tried to analyse players gear giving people who have no clue what "expertise softcap" for tank is a "hey this guy has low GS lets kick him" bullshit thought
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

In the very early days of multiplayer gaming (yes, before the web, we're talking MUD's here biys), the absence of information was considered a feature, as new players would have to engage socially with other players to find out about things.

Deleted
    My son. The day you were born, the very forests of Lordaeron whispered the name, Arthas. My child. I watched you with pride, as you grew into a weapon. Of rightousness. Remember, our line has always ruled with wisdom, and strength. And I know that you will show restraint, when exercising your great power. But the truest victory, my son, is stirring the hearts of your people. I tell you this, for when my days have come to and end. You, shall be king.

long live vanilla wow.

Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2017-10-28 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    there can only be one king. Arthas my son, from the day you were born. Long live the king, long live vanilla wow.
    Arthas was Wrath though.

And well I hate to tell you this but "the king" died over 7 years ago.

And that soundtrack is awful imo.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-28 at 07:28 AM.

Deleted
    The Vote is lacking a few options. Probably every WoW player would create a charakter on a legacy server, just to "check it out". So just Yes and No is not enough.

I voted for NO. I would create a charakter on this and maybe even level up a warrior, just to relive some nostalgia by playing through the original Kalimdor zones. BUT i would NEVER EVER dodge the up to date WoW for a legacy server. Legacy server have an even bigger problem than every WoW expansion. There is an never ending content drought at the end, because there will never be new classic content. The only thing you can do. Delete your charakter and do it again.

So that why i vote for NO, because i would never actively play on a legacy server and thats why i also dont see a reason for blizz to invest a shit ton of money for legacy. Because most players would dodge playing there really fast.

I'd would check it out. Back to the basics sounds like fun
    Nooo noooo! Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Bixster View Post
    i would NEVER EVER dodge the up to date WoW for a legacy server.
    Depends on the state of 'up-to-date-wow'. I love Legion and am having a great time. I 'dodged' WoD about half way though the expansion because it was terribad, and went to play on a 'vanilla' server. Loved it. My only regret was not doing this earlier and avoid Garrisonville altogether.
    I came back late to Legion because WoD had left such a bad taste. Since this expansion, I haven't felt the need to go back to vanilla as it gives me the gameplay I like. If 8.0 turns out to be another WoD, I'll hop back again.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm tired of transmog farm and Argus grind. One day i listened to the olds Westfall music and nostalgia hits me right into the heart. I decided to give a try Vanilla private server (with 9k online) and i was blasted away. Vanilla WoW is a legit fun and interesting game. Many things like interface, lack of gold, lack of mounts, dangerous mobs were a slight pain in the ass, but that make me value the money, value the craft, value the team mates and gave the forgotten experience of exploring and surviving. And the lack of phasing made all cities, all locations alive. So much people to help, to cooperate, to spend time fighting elites or just doing the quests. Its very rewarding and enjoying experience.

Lack of face rolling made the world of Azeroth dangerous, mysterious and interesting to explore. Every new green or blue item felt like a legendary. Vanilla WoW gave me much more feeling of satisfaction than Legion.

I still find Legion the second best add-on btw, and will definitely play the next one, but Vanilla WoW is a legit good and fun to play game.

Dont want the Legacy servers though. Private servers are enough.
    Last edited by Harbour; 2017-10-28 at 07:42 AM.