Page 46 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Lets not go overboard here. She dosnt deserve the hate but you are going out of your way to give her too much credit.
    Being good at a role is too much credit? Wow.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    If I were CBS/Paramount, I'd scrap this trainwreck and start over. After this whole "D7" middle finger, we're starting to see a lot of formerly ardent apologists for STD reluctantly admit that this show can NOT be taking place in the established, Prime Star Trek universe. There's just no escaping it.

While I think the show is pretty awful they aren't going to scrap it and start again. If and when this is canceled that will be it for Star Trek for awhile. They have already green lit a 2nd season though so it looks like this is going to be around for a bit.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I wonder how the reviews for TNG would have looked like if there were boards back in 1987 ... because that first season was really, really bad. Just rewatch only the first 5 episodes of TNG ...
    And the Klingons did look nothing like those from OS, these ridiculous ridges on their heads, those teeth .. nothing like the REAL Klingons. I hope they scrap this trainwreck and start over

Was that too subtle? I hope not!
    So just like with the other ST shows give them at least a full season before you complain. Otherwise TNG and other should have been scrapped too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    While I think the show is pretty awful they aren't going to scrap it and start again.
    Of course not. That would be the smart thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Being good at a role is too much credit? Wow.
    Being good ? Shes adequate not amazing. You heaping praise on how her acting should net her an oscar and the casting director is a visionary is a bit much.

I'd much rather spend time with Sarek, Captain Lorca and Saru.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    I wonder how the reviews for TNG would have looked like if there were boards back in 1987 ... because that first season was really, really bad. Just rewatch only the first 5 episodes of TNG ...
    And the Klingons did look nothing like those from OS, these ridiculous ridges on their heads, those teeth .. nothing like the REAL Klingons. I hope they scrap this trainwreck and start over

Was that too subtle? I hope not!
    So just like with the other ST shows give them at least a full season before you complain. Otherwise TNG and other should have been scrapped too.
    To be honest, when TNG first aired, the public was used to the "new" Klingons since they already appeared in three movies (The Motion Picture, The Search for Spock and Voyage Home). I wonder what was the fanbase's reaction to the new Klingons in TMP. Although I doubt that fanbase was as large as it has become after the twenty years or so of Berman Era. In fact, most of the fanbase was probably introduced to Star Trek by the movies and Berman's shows. It's the old Klingons that may have been a surprise to them.

But, yeah, the first season of TNG was not very good, with several episodes being simply bad. An episode like "Code of Honor", if aired today, would probably have provoked a wave of protest that could have lead to the show's cancellation.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    But, yeah, the first season of TNG was not very good, with several episodes being simply bad. An episode like "Code of Honor", if aired today, would probably have provoked a wave of protest that could have lead to the show's cancellation.
    Frakes said that he thought that was the worst, most racist episode ever made and he called it trash. Pretty much the entire cast felt it was a horrifying piece of crap they wish they had never done.

Of course not. That would be the smart thing to do.
    They have spent way too much time and money on this to toss it in the bin only to come back and do it all over, that just isn't how Hollywood or any company works. They also seem to think they have a decent product since they already renewed it for a 2nd season.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Again, she is not playing a Vulcan. Does your dislike of her blinds you to this simple truth? Her character is way more complicated than "Vulcans" other actors play, they can all reference actors who played vulcans before them, they can copy. She cannot. She's like the first of her kind.

Even if she is a bad actress, the person who cast her in this role is a GENIUS.
    You are acting like you are the only one who knows how she is supposed to play that characters and then accusing me of hating the actor for critisizing the unrealisticness of the acting.
    Last edited by Corroc; 2017-10-29 at 05:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have spent way too much time and money on this to toss it in the bin only to come back and do it all over, that just isn't how Hollywood or any company works.
    Ever heard of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7? Or how about the sequel to the Ang Lee Hulk film? Or perhaps you've heard of the term "reboot?"

question,

After last weeks episode and the Vulcan Fanatics, are we seeing the start of the rise of the Romulan Empire? Are these guys the extremists that left Vulcan and became Romulans?

Ever heard of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7? Or how about the sequel to the Ang Lee Hulk film? Or perhaps you've heard of the term "reboot?"
    You wouldn't reboot a show you were a few episodes into if you didn't like it you would just scrap the idea and do something else. Of course that doesn't matter they do like it and like it so much they renewed it for a second season 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Really? I believe she looks like an healthy woman. She's not twiggy, but she's certainly not overweight.
    Maybe in the US not that overweight, but in Yemen she is clearly overweight

So reading all this hate on Burnham....

Is it understood that she is a HUMAN? I have to ask because I see so many posts about how she plays a bad character. As I see the character, she is a Human on a planet where No one likes humans and are disgusted that Sarek not only had sex with one but now brought a full fledged Orphan human to the planet...

I would like to see the many that post such hate on her go through the rigors of having to be a human being conditioned to be a Vulcan. Being beat down by all around you because you are someone that just does not belong. Being beat and cast down because you are an equal or better than those around you who shun you because you are a different race considered to be primitive.

I do not like the character so far myself because I think she is rather wooden. But she is playing a role that has no background. No Human was allowed on Vulcan so there is no real source material for her to learn from. She has what is known about Vulcans, but how to equate that to a mix of a Human that has to be Vulcan has to be hard.

But as Sarek pointed out he brought her back to Starfleet to be reintegrated with her HUMAN side. Yes it was a shame of a story but as the show progresses youare seeing more and more of the Human she is and how her emotions are starting to take hold of her. Add her Logic training she had from Vulcan and then combine that with her human emotions and we will see a good fleshed character in time

10+ Year Old Account
    You wouldn't reboot a show you were a few episodes into if you didn't like it you would just scrap the idea and do something else.
    That works too.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    question,

After last weeks episode and the Vulcan Fanatics, are we seeing the start of the rise of the Romulan Empire? Are these guys the extremists that left Vulcan and became Romulans?
    Romulans split from Vulcans something like 2000 years before these events. So, no. There's already a Romulan Empire.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-10-30 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Romulans split from Vulcans something like 2000 years before these events. So, no. There's already a Romulan Empire.
    Well damn.... I always wanted to know how that played out lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Yay for TNG-level holodecks pre-TOS! Totes McGotes the same timeline, for realsies this time!
    Yeah...really is a shit show, it's remake that is basically trying to force the prime universe into the JJVerse...and idiots are eating it up.

Well damn.... I always wanted to know how that played out lol.
    There was a story arc in the last season of Enterprise that dealt with some of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    question,

Romulans already existed though