Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's with all these fucking armchair security "experts" dissing Flash?

Windows, Antiviruses and any program which makes a connection to the Internet get daily or weekly security updates for FATAL SECURITY FLAWS WHICH ALLOW FULL COMPROMISE OF YOUR COMPUTER.

Why the fuck is then Flash getting so much shit? Because of that useless faggot steve hackjobs (may he burn in hell) and his tantrum letter where he whaled out against Flash because it was competing with another one of Apple's useless bloatware technologies?

I have never been compromised by Flash. Ever. Basic Internet good habit education, keeping your computer updated and your security software updated will protect you from 99.99% of infections you can find on the web, and I can't remember the last time I got infected by a web infection this decade since I installed Avast, Malwarebytes and Windows 7. Don't even need a dedicated firewall, Windows' is more than enough.

I am sick and fucking tired of all these hipster hackjobs flaunting HTML5 as the savior of the Internet whereas Flash is a tried, tested and loved media vehicle since before a lot of you were probably born, and all it needs is to have continuous updates (just like EVERY OTHER FUCKING SOFTWARE THAT CONNECTS TO THE NET) to improve its security and performance.

In short, fuck all of you who diss Flash and when asked why you just reply "because I read somewhere that it's unsafe".

It will be ok man. Just breath and drink some water..... It will all be ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow we might not want to say anything triggering, this guy looks like hes about to blow a gasket!

**micro-agression warning**

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat a Snickers

Maybe because in 2015 it was awarded the most frequently exploited product?

This year alone, 6 of the top 10 vulnerabilities incorporated by exploit kits affected Adobe Flash Player.

When the browser devs themselves are saying Flash leaves vulnerabilities(Chrome, Firefox and Edge, three independent sources that know their shit), I'll trust them. Especially over some random dude on the internet typing in all caps and cussing up a storm.

Look at this list of security vulnerabilities and how many of them allow access to memory or arbitrary code execution.
    https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...sh-Player.html

Yeah, sure, if it is coded right and you trust the source, you'll not have issues. I never have either. That doesn't mean that those issues are not present though.

Edit:Forgot Link

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Maybe because in 2015 it was awarded the most frequently exploited product?

This year alone, 6 of the top 10 vulnerabilities incorporated by exploit kits affected Adobe Flash Player.

When the browser devs themselves are saying Flash leaves vulnerabilities, I'll trust them.

Look at this list of security vulnerabilities and how many of them allow access to memory or arbitrary code execution.

Yeah, sure, if it is coded right and you trust the source, you'll not have issues. I never have either. That doesn't mean that those issues are not present though.
    Look at how many fatal security vulnerability patches Windows alone had this year, I don't even need to go back to 2016 and 15.

This Flash hate only started with steve hackjobs writing some rage letter about it out of the blue cause Apple doesn't support flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Look at how many fatal security vulnerability patches Windows alone had this year, I don't even need to go back to 2016 and 15.

This Flash hate only started with steve hackjobs writing some rage letter about it out of the blue cause Apple doesn't support flash.
    Was Windows awarded the most exploited product of 2015? Did 6 of the top 10 vulnerabilities incorporated by exploit kits this year affect Windows?

The most used products in the world will always be a target for exploits. Thats just how things work.
    The thing with Flash however is that they are topping that statistic by a decent margin and its getting harder and harder to keep it patched up.

Im sure that other products would be exploited just as much as Flash if they had the same exposure, but.. thats just how it is atm.

I am pretty sure Steve Jobs disliked flash on mobile devices because it was a bit of a power hog, not just that is has been a fantastic virus vector.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah? And? I think Windows is a bit more complicated software than Flash. That's like saying your car has more problems over ten years than a bike.

That said.. Microsoft fixes those issues. Those Flash issues, many still exist.

[Insert cute comment about someone not being able to access POGO and PCH games]
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Also, let's go ahead and compare the number of vulnerabilities in Windows to Flash. I refer you back to the original link:
    https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...4af6da7078c21a

875 Vulnerabilities.

Here's Windows 7:
    https://www.cvedetails.com/product/1...l?vendor_id=26
    850 Vulnerabilities. It's not much less, but it's less.

Here's Windows 8:
    https://www.cvedetails.com/product/2...l?vendor_id=26
    256 Vulnerabilities. 29% of the Vulnerabilities of Flash.

How about Windows 10?
    https://www.cvedetails.com/product/3...l?vendor_id=26
    465. Far less than Flash.

Also, as @chazus said, Microsoft works to fix those vulnerabilities ASAP. Many of the Flash vulnerabilities just sit there and will never be fixed.

Because it's widely exploited and there's no good way to update it?

Flash has always been a source of pain for anyone that paid attention.

So I guess OP is a Flash developer? Or what's that rage about?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna be honest, haven't seen rage like this in a while. It's..delicious.

That being said, Flash gets shit because it's Flash. It sucks, and is compromised - Period; your rage only fuels it.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    *babyrage*
    Watch out, we got a badass over here!

The same thread could have been created without all the fucks and bullshit and it could have been a legitimate discussion, instead OP decided to shoot himself first sentence. Lame.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-10-28 at 09:56 AM.

Windows, Antiviruses and any program which makes a connection to the Internet get daily or weekly security updates for FATAL SECURITY FLAWS WHICH ALLOW FULL COMPROMISE OF YOUR COMPUTER.
    Let's take a look at those FATAL SECURITY FLAWS!!!!!1111!!

Adobe Flash Player accounts for 1.1% of all CVE database entries (http://www.cvedetails.com/product/67...l?vendor_id=53) (1015 out of 92419)

Windows 10 has had 475 CVE reports since 2015. In that same time-span, Firefox has had 313 (of which only one in 2017), Chrome 443 and Edge 326. Adobe Flash has had 657. So yeah, totally safe software.

Flash has only had 65% of its confirmed vulnerabilities in the last 3 years, since the record keeping started 13 years ago. So in terms of safety, the quality of Adobe Flash has plummeted recently.

I am sick and fucking tired of all these hipster hackjobs flaunting HTML5 as the savior of the Internet whereas Flash is a tried, tested and loved media vehicle since before a lot of you were probably born, and all it needs is to have continuous updates (just like EVERY OTHER FUCKING SOFTWARE THAT CONNECTS TO THE NET) to improve its security and performance.
    Since Adobe bought Macromedia in 2005, Flash has been on life-support. Adobe has done the absolute minimum to keep it alive since then. In July this year, Adobe announced that Flash Player is going to be moving into EOL status in 2020 and will no longer even be recieving the minimal level of support it has been given over the last few years. Even its owners want it killed off, and replaced by other technologies. So no, nobody will want to touch it with a 30 foot bargepole in two years' time. There is no real reason to use Flash in a new project even today. There are a few excuses though, such as "I'm too lazy to rewrite my website" (I'm guessing you might fall into this category).

OP spent all his time learning actionscript only to find himself without a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Also, let's go ahead and compare the number of vulnerabilities in Windows to Flash. I refer you back to the original link:
    https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...4af6da7078c21a

875 Vulnerabilities.

Here's Windows 7:
    https://www.cvedetails.com/product/1...l?vendor_id=26
    850 Vulnerabilities. It's not much less, but it's less.

Here's Windows 8:
    https://www.cvedetails.com/product/2...l?vendor_id=26
    256 Vulnerabilities. 29% of the Vulnerabilities of Flash.

How about Windows 10?
    https://www.cvedetails.com/product/3...l?vendor_id=26
    465. Far less than Flash.

Also, as @chazus said, Microsoft works to fix those vulnerabilities ASAP. Many of the Flash vulnerabilities just sit there and will never be fixed.
    You are comparing a more complex piece of software that controls the entire thing to a single piece of software, in other words apples and oranges

2) Microsoft does fix it's software when it's needed, most OS bugs aren't a issue

3) Apples and oranges

Admittedly, fuck is a fun word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Because it's widely exploited and there's no good way to update it?

Flash has always been a source of pain for anyone that paid attention.
    Take Linux for example, which for a while didn't have flash. Even now Adobe plans to abandon flash on Linux which means Linux users will have to seek open source alternatives to play flash content. Chrome doesn't even use Adobe flash, but has a built in flash player to avoid problems.

The problem with flash like many things is Adobe. Remember that Flash wasn't their creation, but was made originally by Macromedia. Adobe bought them in 2005 and like many things they buy, they made it worse. If flash was more open and had more active development then we wouldn't be seeking alternatives.