Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling - Quest through each zone or spam Dungeon?

Started a new Shaman yesterday, just dinged lvl20.

While I am interested in seeing the story via questing, I also kinda want to lvl up fast so I can get into Legion content asap. Right now, dungeon is a lot faster, to the point I gained 3 lvl just from a single Wailing Cavern run.

Is there a lvl where I should stop Dungeon Spam and just stick to questing? If so, around where?

Do the dungeons while they have quests. Repeating dungeons without the quests slow you down. There is a little bit of a slowdown where Mara is the main dungeon as there isnt a lot of quests. Avoid dungeons when you get to MOP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Do the dungeons while they have quests. Repeating dungeons without the quests slow you down. There is a little bit of a slowdown where Mara is the main dungeon as there isnt a lot of quests. Avoid dungeons when you get to MOP.
    This is 10000% wrong, dungeon only until MOP then quest after MOP quest xp is butt

To keep it simple, what I usually do is just do each dungeon once when all the quests become available for that dungeon. Complete the dungeon and either move on to the next dungeon or back to questing.

I feel that non-stop questing/dungeons/PvP gets boring when spammed.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post

While I am interested in seeing the story via questing, I also kinda want to lvl up fast so I can get into Legion content asap. Right now, dungeon is a lot faster, to the point I gained 3 lvl just from a single Wailing Cavern run.

Is there a lvl where I should stop Dungeon Spam and just stick to questing? If so, around where?
    Always que as a healer even if you dont want to heal because itll be almost insta que and you wont even have to heal because lets face it .... lol. YOu can go ahead and stop dungeoning around MOP because those dungeons give terrible xp

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a full set of heirlooms and then just go do whatever. I've done 1.5 zones and 2 dungeons, already level 25.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Do you have a high level friend? Asmongold has a really nice guide for fast leveling through duns with a friend

7+ Year Old Account

You should always do dungeons really and if the ques are longer then 2 min, you go and quest while you wait. In the start, it is best to do new dungeons all the time, because the XP from quests are pretty huge and will repel you forward very fast.

At lvl 84 the dungeons become worse and it is best to do questing for the most of the time, except for the first clear for the quests. WoD is nearly a 100% questing experience and Legion is questing undtil you get the quest for the dungeons.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    This is 10000% wrong, dungeon only until MOP then quest after MOP quest xp is butt
    If the goal is to go as fast as possible then questing is faster than dungeons while there are no dungeon quests. Spamming dungeons without the quests just slows you down. The experience you gain from the mobs only are equal to what you get to the experience of killing two mobs by yourself. How many mobs in a dungeon? 100? Sure, that's a lot of experience that goes quickly but when you do not get any quest experience in a dungeon, you are just gimping yourself. At level 20ish you can get approx 5k per quest.

"DERP, but what if you are doing it with friends? Dungeons are way faster". Only if the dungeon has quests to do. The power you get in a dungeon is transferred out into the world and your group can kill things quicker while questing. Quest experience is the main contributor to experience. It's best in a dungeon but if not available, world questing is next best. Until MOP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's back up a bit. Are you brand new or is this an alt and you've already seen the leveling content at least once?

If Brand New:
    Quest, doing dungeons at the right level. Seriously, take some time and see the game.

If an alt:
    Eh, I'd mix questing with dungeons when you have quests for them. I think that's still fastest. Obviously use heirlooms if you have a max level main.

"But I want to get to Legion content ASAP!"
    I'd ask why? If you have a raid waiting for you, etc I get that. But if this is a new character you're not going to have that and this late in the expansion you likely have 9-12 more months of Legion so you'll have plenty of time to play Legion content and I'd advise you to take a spin through the world and take your time.
    Last edited by clevin; 2017-10-30 at 05:03 AM.

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It goes fast either way. I like to mix it up so it feels less tedious. Sometimes I choose which to do next like I choose transmog - which content matches this toon better? My troll should maybe go do a Zul dungeon, or my pally stop by Lights Hope Chapel to help in Plaguelands. Whatever makes the time pass faster for you. It will be over in a few game sessions either way.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted

Sorry to say, but you won't be seeing the story through questing. You'll end up outleveling the zones faster than the story unfolds, so the experience is extremely disjointed. You'll have to try really hard, and you need to lock xp gains if you really want to experience the story - but even then, it's not really the same thing anymore. The best solution to avoid disappointment: Treat it like there is no story until you hit the current content. It's just a chore of banging out quests for XP as fast as possible.

Put on heirlooms and spam dungeons until you reach MoP - after that quest + spam dungeons (that have quests in them).
    Or - buy a boost. You won't miss much.
    Last edited by mmoce1addbf3e1; 2017-10-30 at 06:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mix dungeons and questing. I mainly do dungeons for their quests though, except for some dungeons like Maraudon and Dire Maul since those dungeons suck. :<
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Dungeon if solo. Quest if using RAF and switch to higher zone as you hit the level benchmark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like everyone else has said, do both. Don't do a dungeon unless there's quests for it, aka don't do a dungeon more than once unless a boss was dead prior to joining that was needed for one of the quests. Even then it comes down to judgment and how many quests are remaining.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled character in 3 days to 100th standing in the SW and spamming instances. EZ.

Blizzard fucked up leveling though. They should make questing in the open world more attractive. Or nerf exp gain in the LFG.
    Last edited by Harbour; 2017-10-30 at 06:49 AM.

I usually combine this two approaches via leveling two characters at once. It's just boring to do quests only or dungeons only. And you just can't combine this two on one character, cuz once you start doing dungeons - you lose your questing thread.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

- Dungeon until MoP
    - Quest/1st time dungeon in MoP
    - If you have WoD flying, do treasure hunting
    - If you don't, dungeon/quest
    - For Legion, if you have time, you can just do every Invasions for shitloads of EXP. If you want to go quickly, do the questlines.

Also as someone said, you can probably just queue as healer. 4 DPS and a tank in looms destroys dungeons so quickly, there's no real point to need a full healer. Just keep people alive with your heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    Blizzard fucked up leveling though. They should make questing in the open world more attractive. Or nerf exp gain in the LFG.

They likely would nerf LFG EXP before bothering to lift a finger (it's sorta their MO), but the problem is how would you make questing "more attractive"? For the majority of players (myself included), it's fun to quest the first time, but after that, it gets boring. Dungeons are so quick and over before you know it that they're really not that bad.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Buy a battle chest with 9 euro from allkeyshop. Recruit a friend yourself. Make a /follow macro. Get addons "autoturnin" and "smartquest" addon. Do quests with dual box (actually you quest with tour main just have other on follow and alt tab to accept/complete quests)

Enjoy getting several class to 90 in no time
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently, it is hard to balance them. I'm an altoholic, completed all content at least twice (Horde and Alliance).

Sadly the experience points needed are low compared to the experience points gained and zones end up not connecting, and you have to select more or less how you wish to play. Leveling at current is sadly a joke, goes WAY too fast and the slowest option you have now, is by PvP, then comes questing and then comes Dungeons.

I would suggest, that if you wish to do quests inbetween, do quests till lvl 20, then dungeons till about lvl 50, where you mix between the two.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..